cannastop

Best Animated Feature - 2017

The small film that I am stanning for the most, besides one that I have already seen (the excellent A Silent Voice), is Birdboy: The Forgotten Children. The Spanish film looks absolutely beautiful if the recently posted official trailer is anything to go by. If this film can leap over undeserving commercial hits, I would be extremely grateful.

Annie Awards nomination commentary:

This doesn't do The LEGO Batman Movie any favors. It really isn't a good thing if Cars 3, Boss Baby, Despicable Me 3, and even Captain Underpants are getting in over it.

The Breadwinner is in an excellent position unless the academy is looking to completely snub indies.

Loving Vincent and The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales will benefit greatly.

I have no idea how Napping Princess got into best independent over Mary and the Witch's Flower, A Silent Voice, and Birdboy: The Forgotten Children- and how were those last two completely snubbed?!

I've got this weird dichotomy this year where I've already seen basically every single one of the nominees for Best Animated Independent Feature this year, yet also almost none of the nominees for regular Best Animated Feature.

Anyway, just to fulfill the forum ranking stereotype...

In This Corner of the World > The Breadwinner > The Big Bad Fox & Other Tales > Napping Princess >>> Loving Vincent

On 12/3/2017 at 5:04 AM, slambros said:

The small film that I am stanning for the most, besides one that I have already seen (the excellent A Silent Voice), is Birdboy: The Forgotten Children. The Spanish film looks absolutely beautiful if the recently posted official trailer is anything to go by. If this film can leap over undeserving commercial hits, I would be extremely grateful.

I really wouldn't get your hopes up. Saw it last year and, while it's definitely entertaining, it's also way too dark and fucked up to really see it playing well with the awards crowd.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, slambros said:

Annie Awards nomination commentary:

This doesn't do The LEGO Batman Movie any favors. It really isn't a good thing if Cars 3, Boss Baby, Despicable Me 3, and even Captain Underpants are getting in over it.

The Breadwinner is in an excellent position unless the academy is looking to completely snub indies.

Loving Vincent and The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales will benefit greatly.

I have no idea how Napping Princess got into best independent over Mary and the Witch's Flower, A Silent Voice, and Birdboy: The Forgotten Children- and how were those last two completely snubbed?!

Cars 3, DM3 really shouldn't be on the list, hope oscar will stop their mess, even with the changing voting system, I don't see animated feature of oscar is going to shift big in term of their nominees, among the animated feature i saw this year, only coco and in this corner of the world from japan are oscar worthy, and judging from the past where oscar barely know the japanese anime outside of ghbli(this is especially true after they snub your name), in this corner of the world will likely fail....

coco and lego batman are the only "blockbuster" that are worthy for consideration, i didnt see captain underpants, but DW is regular competitor in the field, leaving 2 spot for indie

The Globes;

Best Motion Picture – Animated
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

If Ferdinand actually shapes up to be great, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I just can't believe that Boss Baby got in over CU.  I know animation was  weak this year but...at least it isn't DM3 or Cars? Small victories? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morieris said:

Dreamworks is really paying Captain U dust, huh.

Sounds like Dreamworks is (controversially) favoring Boss Baby over Captain Underpants. News flash, Dreamworks: box office doesn't have to be the only thing that talks. Geez, Louise.

8 minutes ago, slambros said:

Sounds like Dreamworks is (controversially) favoring Boss Baby over Captain Underpants. News flash, Dreamworks: box office doesn't have to be the only thing that talks. Geez, Louise.

They're probably hoping they don't get sold a, what, fourth time by pushing the more financially successful movie, but it's not going to win anything!

Is there anyone left to buy them at this rate besides Disney? Lionsgate, maybe.

3 minutes ago, Morieris said:

They're probably hoping they don't get sold a, what, fourth time by pushing the more financially successful movie, but it's not going to win anything!

Is there anyone left to buy them at this rate besides Disney? Lionsgate, maybe.

We might have to change 'big six' to 'big seven' if Lionsgate buys them!

But yeah, Boss Baby has absolutely no chance against Coco, The Breadwinner, and Loving Vincent. Scratch that... it has no chance against Coco alone.

Boss Baby wouldn't have a chance at a nomination if it weren't for that let's-let-people-that-don't-understand-that-animation-is-an-art-form-vote-in-the-category rule.

If it was like normal, it'd be like this:

Coco

The Breadwinner

Loving Vincent

(excellent indie film)

(excellent indie film)

Because of the rule, it could be like this:

Coco

The Boss Baby

Cars 3

Despicable Me 3

Ferdinand

Because if every single academy member votes, there's bound to be many that disregard indies enough to snub them entirely.

My hope is that many academy voters who used to not be able to vote for animated make the responsible choice not to vote even if they can, on the basis that they haven't seen many of the film's because they don't care enough about what they perceive to be a genre.

So if Dreamworks really wants to be in the Oscar game to regain legitimacy, they need to step it up. Hopefully How To Train Your Dragon 3 is as great as the time it's taken to develop it is making it out to be.

Loving Vincent is sort of an "event" animated film though.  It's English-language reviews aren't that strong, but it is seen as something different and innovative, and has achieved a lot of buzz.  I think it is unlikely to miss out on a nomination.  

Edited by Gioranges
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 3:53 AM, tribefan695 said:

I've noticed a lot of negative/lukewarm reviews have come in for Loving Vincent recently. I think it might actually be left out.

It's not. The initial critical reception was actually already pretty lukewarm to begin with, if you were paying attention. But even then, it ended up garnering all the nominations/awards it has, so I really don't see it missing the Oscar nod, unless they pull a LEGO Movie with its eligibility. 

(FYI, I've seen it and I agree with the negative/lukewarm reviews. It has a great art style but the movie itself is a slog.)

On 1/26/2017 at 10:24 PM, slambros said:

Cars 3 - I really think it's going to be extremely good, good enough to deserve the nomination.

Coco - Original Pixar, enough said.

Loving Vincent - It is the world's first feature film entirely painted, that alone is a feat in its own right.

The Story of Ferdinand - I'm thinking it surprises. The source material provides good opportunity.

The Thousand Miles - The Illusionist released seven years after The Triplets of Belleville, so I think this one will release seven years after The Illusionist. This guy has yet to fail, so I'm thinking he'll get a nomination.

I have this pressing feeling that Mary and the Witch's Flower is either a ways off or not good enough. Either would be a shame though.

How my predictions turned out:

Perhaps Not

Yes

Yes

Somewhat Likely

MIA