cannastop

Best Animated Feature - 2017

To be honest, I think MLP has about as much chance of being nominated as one of the Pokemon movies. Regardless of actual quality, I don't really see it being widely viewed as, fairly or unfairly, anything except a glorified TV movie for fans of the TV show.

Anyway, I'm actually kinda interested in the Oscar race this year. The lack of any major Western Animation frontrunners (except maybe Coco) has left the doors open for a lot of potential surprises and underdogs. At this point in time, I'm currently stanning for 'In this Corner of the World' (which, knowing my track record, means it's probably almost certain to miss out) but I'm also going to see The Breadwinner in a couple of weeks, along with a few other smaller animations, so we'll see if I end up changing my mind.

Also, I really want Captain Underpants to pick up a nom. Partly because it'd be hilarious but also because I genuinely did really like that film.

• Like 4

Only The Boss Baby (which had mixed reviews at best) can be considered original. 

It's still based off of a book. How close to it? No idea, but CU is the same way and I know that wasn't 100% beat by beat. My bet is it's considerably less deviating from it's source than BB.

Frankly, this race will only be unpredictable if Coco is completely snubbed. If that's in, it's winning because the Academy doesn't care to vote beyond what they recognize at a glance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

To be honest, I think MLP has about as much chance of being nominated as one of the Pokemon movies. Regardless of actual quality, I don't really see it being widely viewed as, fairly or unfairly, anything except a glorified TV movie for fans of the TV show.

Pretty much this. I think if The Simpsons Movie missed despite being both a critical and box office smash, there's really no hope for My Little Pony getting a nomination.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:47 AM, rukaio101 said:

Anyway, I'm actually kinda interested in the Oscar race this year. The lack of any major Western Animation frontrunners (except maybe Coco) has left the doors open for a lot of potential surprises and underdogs. At this point in time, I'm currently stanning for 'In this Corner of the World' (which, knowing my track record, means it's probably almost certain to miss out) but I'm also going to see The Breadwinner in a couple of weeks, along with a few other smaller animations, so we'll see if I end up changing my mind.

Also, I really want Captain Underpants to pick up a nom. Partly because it'd be hilarious but also because I genuinely did really like that film.

Haven't seen it yet but at this point in time, I hope it does.

I saw all the major animated releases for this year so far, and I only see Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago as being barely worthy of nominations. The former might get a nom, but I doubt Ninjago will. Coco will certainly get a nomination so that leaves us with 3-4 open spots just waiting to be filled by anything half-decent. I have zero hope for The Star and Ferdinand, so I really don't see why indie films shouldn't conquer most of these left spots. If they don't then this award category has officially gone to shit with the recent rule chance if they're actually going to fill it with the likes of Despicable Me 3, Boss Baby, Smurfs, and what not. Not that it was perfect before, but this would be the nail in the coffin. Just my two cents.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:47 AM, rukaio101 said:

In any other year it would probably be a long shot, but it was better than  people expected and there's usually at least two mainstream-ish movies, so I think there's a shot.

DreamWorks got double noms in this category in 2011 (in part because Cars 2 was a dud and they decided to shut out The Adventures of TinTin because of the animation) so I wouldn't rule out double Pixar noms this year (assuming Coco is a winner of course).

• Like 2

Among indie/foreign films I'd say Loving Vincent has a strong chance of getting in and so does Mary and the Witch's Flower (GKids has acquired it for a "winter release" so presumably they're pushing it this year even if there's still no commercial release date). 

• Like 1