cannastop

Best Animated Feature - 2017

I forgot, obviously. Guess it further reinforces my stance regarding the other movie, though.

Every animated movie has a "chance' until reviews come in. It at least has a hell of a lot more of one than The Star or Ferdinand, imo.

Edited by tribefan695

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is anyone even going to watch My Little Pony, though? I doubt it makes more than like $20-25M at the box office in total.

I don't think it'll be that low but weak box office didn't keep Shaun the Sheep from getting nominated (another Lionsgate distributed TV adaptation).

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That was Aardman's doing.

It was still their lowest grossing film in the US in nearly 20 years by a significant margin. 

Even if I accept the dubious premise of it grossing less than $30 million (Shaun and MLP's fanbases are disproportionate in size to put it mildly), you can be sure if the MLP movie gets good reviews that its fans will be campaigning for it very hard. 

Edited by tribefan695

30 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Lmao the bronies are gonna campaign hard huh.

It'd be visible enough to not be ignored is all I'm saying.

Just be honest; you guys have no interest in entertaining the idea right now because it looks girly and the fandom creeps you out. I get it. I just have a feeling the movie itself will change things.

Edited by tribefan695

They've just started ramping up the promo campaign this week. Think they were waiting for Ninjago to blow over. We'll see, I guess.

Also the premiere is in NYC next Sunday and there are a ton of advance screenings being held a week before release.

Edited by tribefan695

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Even if I accept the dubious premise of it grossing less than $30 million (Shaun and MLP's fanbases are disproportionate in size to put it mildly), you can be sure if the MLP movie gets good reviews that its fans will be campaigning for it very hard. 

There is some truth to this statement. Plus, the way the Animation nominees are voted for has changed, so that could have a major impact unless the rule that they have to see half or more of the nominees still stands.

I just wish some many of this year's animation had been better. It was more exciting of a race last year. But if My Little Pony is able to get good reviews, then that'll throw a wrench into the fold.

56 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It'd be visible enough to not be ignored is all I'm saying.

Just be honest; you guys have no interest in entertaining the idea right now because it looks girly and the fandom creeps you out. I get it. I just have a feeling the movie itself will change things.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I just don't think MLP will be very good. Don't care that it looks girly, don't know anything about the fandom (and also don't care). But the companies involved in production don't have much of a track record, and to the very minor extent that they do (one animated theatrical release), it's bad.

If MLP gets good reviews, kudos to you. I'm curious what's giving you that feeling.

Edited by Jason

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I just don't think MLP will be very good. Don't care that it looks girly, don't know anything about the fandom (and also don't care). But the companies involved in production don't have much of a track record, and to the very minor extent that they do, it's bad.

If MLP gets good reviews, kudos to you. I'm curious what's giving you that feeling.

All right, yes, I'm a fan of the series. Have been since early 2012. There's an addictive quality to its animation, humor and character dynamics. It does have its moments of cheesiness but the writers have a certain degree of self-awareness and usually have another joke to throw at you to make it go down easier. Not every episode fully works but there's always something there that keeps me entertained and coming back. This recent season in particular I've felt has been one of the show's stronger and more consistent ones which has kept me optimistic for this movie and pretty much all of the key talent from the series is involved in it.

And as far as the movie itself goes, I've just really liked much of what I've heard from it. The trailers have tried too hard to make it look "edgy" and "hip" but from the clips that have come out of SDCC it feels like it's maintaining everything I enjoy about the series; including two song snippets that are worthy of Disney, imo. The recently announced advance screenings and fairly early premiere date (even if it is just for crew & friends), make me think Lionsgate also believes they have something good here.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah, it's him. This is the first time he's gotten to work with a live orchestra, though.

Live orchestras are always better (imo)! The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword used a live orchestra and that gave way to how well received the score would be.