YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Opening weekend. 

John Wick to John Wick 2: +100%

FSOG to FSD: -50%

That is all. 

Alright, so John Wick 3 is gonna open to about 58M while whatever the next 50 Shades is called will open to 22M.

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

John Wick 2 is another prime example of the internet making it seem as if a film is going to be a huge hit.

But then it isn't, it just meets expectations.

The IMDB poll for this week on twitter about What film are you seeing this weekend? John Wick 2 won by a landslide, but it's just because most of imdb's users are 20-35 y/o males.

But isn't this considered a big hit? It's going to open to 30 million and if it is as like by audiences As It Seems it will have a chance to make 90 million. That is a pretty big hit considering what the first one made. I don't think expectations or prognostications from anyone was saying this was going to open to 40 million and finish with a hundred and twenty. I think this is actually a really good hit.

• Like 8

I know my opinion on animation really doesn't mean much but I really hated the last Lego Movie and even though this is far from a failure it kind of gives me a tiny bit of pleasure to see it open so low LOL.

Sorry @Blankments

• Like 3

Wow, that was some serious case of overestimating. :lol:

It never looked that big from the start, but I somehow got carried away by all the high predictions. 

But if you look closer, Lego Batman did not reach the trailerclicks of Lego and also was behind at Flixter.

And most of all, it lacked Will Ferell. 

• Like 1

This is a disappointing number for Batman. I'm not saying it's a bad number, but tracking led us to believe it'd be much, much higher.

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Split and Hidden Figures are both holding like MONSTERS.

They're holding like beasts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I know my opinion on animation really doesn't mean much but I really hated the last Lego Movie and even though this is far from a failure it kind of gives me a tiny bit of pleasure to see it open so low LOL.

Sorry @Blankments

I didn't hate the Lego Movie but for me it's definitely not as good as people made it out to be.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, baumer said:

But isn't this considered a big hit? It's going to open to 30 million and if it is as like by audiences As It Seems it will have a chance to make 90 million. That is a pretty big hit considering what the first one made. I don't think expectations or prognostications from anyone was saying this was going to open to 40 million and finish with a hundred and twenty. I think this is actually a really good hit.

I don't see it hitting $30m with an $8m true Friday.

It's a hit, but what I meant was, going by internet chatter they were expecting John Wick 2 to win the weekend. They're crazy.

Edited by Krissykins

That reaction to the LB number is classic BOT. Setting expectations too high before being disappointed. I can't wait for the meltdowns when BatB makes 130m OW. I wonder where @MovieMan89 is btw. I remember him saying last year that there's no way that LEGO Batman would open below 100m. Talk about overly high expectations. We'll never learn.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I don't see it hitting $30m with an $8m true Friday.

It's a hit, but what I meant was, going by internet chatter they were expecting John Wick 2 to win the weekend. They're crazy.

No one here was expecting it to win the weekend.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, miketheavenger said:

That reaction to the LB number is classic BOT. Setting expectations too high before being disappointed. I can't wait for the meltdowns when BatB makes 130m OW. I wonder where @MovieMan89 is btw. I remember him saying last year that there's no way that LEGO Batman would open below 100m. Talk about overly high expectations. We'll never learn.

Classic BOT or classic Hollywood??

It was tracking at $60-70m a few days ago.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-lego-batman-steal-rose-fifty-shades-darker-973652

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

No one here was expecting it to win the weekend.

Go back and read my original post.

I was talking about IMDB poll on Twitter, to show how internet heavy John Wicks fan base is. It's one of those movies where internet chatter and buzz suggests a major breakout but then it falls in like with tracking anyway.

Edited by Krissykins

Reading through the thread, I wish Blank would stop pretending to have a meltdown over toy movies. Dude never knows when to let a bad bit die.

in fact he does the classic crappy comic move of DOUBLING DOWN when people tell him it's not working.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3