Alli

WEEKEND THREAD! FRI #s: Lego: 8M: 50SD: 6.6M: GW: 5.8: JW2: 4.1 (pg 8)

10 - Masterpiece! (titanic, avatar, aliens, etc.. )

9 - That film was FANTASTIC.

8 - Great film, mmm so good!

7 - Not bad, that was pretty good

6 - That was alright I guess

5 - pff what was that?

4 - that was bad

3 - that was shit

2 - that was one of the worst films I've EVER seen

1 - this film has damaged my inner being, I will need a week to recover

0 - I need a lobotomy just to forget this film! (tfa, r1, etc..)

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

No they didn't, wtf lmao. Stop. Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself man. They gave 2200 theaters to Gold instead of expanding Lion (that was the weekend after noms came out) or giving those same theaters a week before to Founder.

You act as though they can snap their fingers and magically make everything happen. 

The Founder would have done better in August or September. At $7m, it would have a nice profit without having to compete with the other Oscar contenders. Look at Manchester by the Sea, it cost only slightly more but made more money because Amazon, Roadside and the other overseas distributors handled the release well.

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

You act as though they can snap their fingers and magically make everything happen. 

Empire said they were trying to get as many theaters as they could for Gold but dumping The Founder. I will remember you that Gold came out on the weekend where Lion should have expanded. They are incompetent. It took them a week and a half to expand Lion after the Oscar noms unlike everyone else which expanded their movies on the weekend after the nominations came out. On that weekend they decided to pull all their chips on frikking Gold for some reason.

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Welp, this seals it. They are gonna cancel it here and send it straight to VOD.

23 hours ago, babz06 said:

It's doing ok for limited release. FSL plan to expand A United Kingdom to 400 theaters by mid march. We'll see what the story looks like then.

As for FSL as a company, they're being passed up by younger hipper indie studios like A24 and now Netflix/Amazon. I think they have to find their an identity again. Just looking at their 2017 slate, it seems a bit confused to me : Table 19, Wilson,  Gifted, My Cousin Rachel, Battle of the Sexes

Compared to A24 which has: Free Fire, The Lovers, It Comes At Night, How to Talk to Girls At Parties. 

A24 seems more interesting and exciting.

I think the newer indie studios like TWC, Fox Searchlight, SPC etc have been hit hard by the likes of Amazon, A24, Open Road etc acquiring the hot titles but also the bigger studios like Paramount, Fox and Lionsgate/Summit have eaten into their audience as well. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Empire said they were trying to get as many theaters as they could for Gold but dumping The Founder. I will remember you that Gold came out on the weekend where Lion should have expanded. They are incompetent. It took them a week and a half to expand Lion after the Oscar noms unlike everyone else which expanded their movies on the weekend after the nominations came out. On that weekend they decided to pull all their chips on frikking Gold for some reason.

Welp, this seals it. They are gonna cancel it here and send it straight to VOD.

Who handles the Weinstein titles in Portugal? In the UK it's Entertainment Films or Studiocanal, both who are decent distributors. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

Who handles the Weinstein titles in Portugal? In the UK it's Entertainment Films or Studiocanal, both who are decent distributors. 

Weinstein titles are bought by local distributors. It varies. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Just because you don't see a reason doesn't mean there isn't one.