Get Out (2017)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Get Out (2017)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I re-watched it again on Blu-Ray last night and still enjoyed the hell out of it. With all its allegorical layers, I'm really hoping the script stays in the running for an Oscar nomination at the end of the year.

Additionally, the Blu-Ray comes with an alternate ending. It's pretty obvious what that ending is if you have seen the film. 

Spoiler

And I stand by what I said in my earlier post about preferring Chris getting away with Rod at the end. The tone of the alternate ending felt way off when compared with the rest of the film, and it seems more fitting to reward Chris for his agency and determination in overthrowing his oppressors.

• Like 2

This was absolutely phenomenal and im disappointed my first viewing of this couldn't have been in theaters.

I more or less saw a lot of the twists coming ahead of time, minus a few, but it didn't detract from the viewing because it was so well done.  The film was entrancing, like hypnotism, and it was a perfect blend of weird, allegory and realism.

The performances were spot on, I enjoyed how people would be just slightly off.  Kaluuya and Williams really sold their roles as the leads.  I also was never waiting for the film to end, it kept me glued for the whole hour and a half and I'm sure it will when I decide to watch it again.

Peele does a fantastic job as a first time director and how he builds a tense atmosphere.  The film is structured brillianty and never lingers.

The film is also technically great in just about every aspect as well.  From how each shot is shown, to the pacing, to subtly off score, it's a blast to watch through the entire thing.

There's also plenty of depth to take from the film, even from just the surface level.  It's a blast to watch through, but it also uses its platform to challenge its audience and give them themes to remember when the sensations ware off.

It's innovative, fresh and poignant.  

A+

• Like 1

Finally got round to seeing this. It's a rare pleasure to enjoy a movie just as much as everyone who went apeshit for it months before did too. A simple yet original story, cleverly and disturbingly told. I'm surprised how much it stayed with me.

Also finally was able to pick this up on Blu-Ray.

It was good. Im a massive horror fan, but this was never scary - or funny. I didnt laugh once, which was surprising for me. But the film was just very entertaining. The actors are really good, the score was solid and the story itself was new and felt kinda fresh, which is always a good sign. The twists were incredibly predictable, the foreshadowing was just too much :lol:.  I totally get the subtext and the themes of the movie, but i really think i would enjoy this movie more if i was an American. The social issues in this story didnt really spoke to me, i see them in the news, the media and in the Internet, but ive never expierenced them first hand (and im glad for that).

Still, it was worth the price. But i dont think it will have the highest rewatchability.

Just saw it. To be honest it was underwhelming. It was OK. No tension. Plot was pretty obvious, a standard Stepford Wives theme. Mildly entertaining. Put it this way. If I stumbled on it and watched it I would have thought it was an Ok if derivative movie. But it has been so overhyped and overrated that you are expecting more than just OK. That said I did like the cynicism. It said something amusing about the nature of idealism nowadays. So there are points for that. 

Good movie , Fantastic touch on race relations and also rich people poor people thing 

very good performances and the dialogues were perfect 

I have the same problems with this movie that I had with baby driver : excellent movie ( both critics favorite )  losing ground when it comes to the end because the writer/director was not bold enough to give the audiences a realistic grim ending that the movie was heading into naturally , instead we get a forced hopeful ending to please the crowds 

overall a solid film but a bit overrated ( wouldn't be with a better ending ) 

I decided to give this another shot since I was a bit sleepy the first time around and I couldn't concentrate.

I am telling this in a sad mood, but the reality is that I didn't enjoy this at all no matter how much I wanted to.

I guess I should start with the only satisfying part which was acting, especially from Kaluuya's part. He completely owned the movie, his face was simply stunning.

Apart from that though, I has some problems;

-First of all, I went into this expecting a horror film and was massively disapointed by the fact that the horror elements were for the most part non-existent. Actually, the whole feeling it gave me for the most partt was more suited for a comedy dispite that I didn't laugh once.

-I know this is supposed to be kind of an allegory and describing something deeper but I simply couldn't see it like that. To be really honest, the whole plot made me kinda cringe. I don't know maybe I am "too white" for this film. I am very unfamiliar with this whole racial dialogue and it is very difficult for me to get used to it. I wasn't raised in a multicultural society so it feels strange to me.

Generally I really wanted to like this but I didn't. I really didn't. Sorry but can't see the appeal of this.

C-

• ...wtf 1

6 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

-I know this is supposed to be kind of an allegory and describing something deeper but I simply couldn't see it like that. To be really honest, the whole plot made me kinda cringe. I don't know maybe I am "too white" for this film. I am very unfamiliar with this whole racial dialogue and it is very difficult for me to get used to it. I wasn't raised in a multicultural society so it feels strange to me.

Generally I really wanted to like this but I didn't. I really didn't. Sorry but can't see the appeal of this.

C-

if you weren't raised in an American society (or even taught about it - more than just the surface of) and aren't really aware historically what happened and how it still affects us today (in terms of race and the tension dealing with that subject), then yeah i can understand why you don't understand what this film is trying to get across.

while the film is very smart in how it handles its allegories dealing with race in american society, in other countries some people might view this film as a bit taboo. (or shoo, people in america who don't have an understanding of it all either might feel that same way). 

d94p3.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, angeldelmito said:

if you weren't raised in an American society (or even taught about it - more than just the surface of) and aren't really aware historically what happened and how it still affects us today (in terms of race and the tension dealing with that subject), then yeah i can understand why you don't understand what this film is trying to get across.

while the film is very smart in how it handles its allegories dealing with race in american society, in other countries some people might view this film as a bit taboo. (or shoo, people in america who don't have an understanding of it all either might feel that same way). 

d94p3.gif

Yeah I mean I am sure that there should be way more than I can see but it's not my fault either.

I am unfamiliar with the whole issue so I simply think that the movie wasn't made for me. If you erase all the symbolisms and the social commentary I don't think there are much you can get excited about plot wise.

• Like 1