CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Also, @Dexter of Suburbia, earlier you said that despite the diversity, you said there weren't any real "straight" movies in the crowd. I'm gonna assume you were talking about movies with straight white characters because, well, you can't say they didn't embrace the movie with a sexually-confused protagonist.

I was talking about how a majority of the movies featured straight white males that were nominated expect for (Lion, Moonlight, Hidden Figures, and Fences).  That the majority of movies featured white straight males.  I also assumed La La Land was going to sweep. I am glad I was wrong. I thought it is going to be weird if they kept talking about diversity and rewarding films where pretty much all white cast. 

• Like 1

NERD ALERT:

This is the 25th time in the history of the Oscars that there has been a Best Picture/Best Director split.

21 of those instances were spread over the first 81 years of the Academy Awards, and the remaining 4 instances have occurred in the last eight years, since the Academy expanded the Best Picture field to 10 nominees in 2009 (i.e. for the Oscar Ceremony in 2010, the 82nd Academy Awards), and switched this up again so that "up to 10" nominees are nominated. But along with this expansion in 2009, the Academy switched from a "first-past-the-post" system for voting for the Best Picture winner to a ranked ballot system. (Side note: No other categories use a ranked ballot system to vote for the winner. All categories do use a ranked ballot system for nominee voting, in which each category is only voted on by their peers - i.e. directors vote for best director, actors vote for best actor, etc.)

This means pre-expansion, about 25% of the time there was a Best Picture/Director split. Post-expansion it has happened 50% of the time.

Now, it is the case that four of the 25 splits over the 89-year history of the Oscars were instances where the director of the ultimate Best Picture winner was snubbed by the Academy (i.e. not even nominated). Most recently, this occurred with Ben Affleck at the 2013 Oscars (where Argo won Best Picture, but Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director, perhaps likely "forcing" a split).

Even if we ignore these four cases, and assume there wouldn't have been a split had the director of the Best Picture winner been nominated, we still see a similar difference - in this case, about 22% of the time pre-expansion (18/81 years) and about 38% of the time post-expansion (3/8 years).

This is really interesting, as an Oscar nerd, because there has been a lot of discussion about how post-expansion, the new ranked ballot system can allow for surprise Best Picture winners and perhaps encourage more Best Picture/Director splits. So far, it seems that is the case, though I say that very cautiously. We don't have a big enough history post-expansion yet to say with more certainty. But we've had two surprise Best Picture winners in a row now that were "splits" from the Best Director winners, and likewise the 12 Years a Slave/Alfonso Cuarón split a few years ago was rather unexpected or at least considered an unusual or unlikely occurrence historically speaking.

It will be interesting to see how this looks moving forward over the next 5-10+ years, assuming no changes are made to the Best Picture voting anytime soon. Have we entered an era of the Academy Awards where Best Picture/Director splits are more likely to occur?

Peace,

Mike

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Travod said:

Nah, I don't remember, that was like six years ago at this point, lol. But space is discussed firmly in the context of the Cold War, not the "Hidden Figures."

Hopefully that starts to change

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Booh booh how dare non white films

When a film features mostly minorities wins it is because it was "political." Strange how people just can't think it won because it was the best movie. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

21 of those instances were spread over the first 81 years of the Academy Awards, and the remaining 4 instances have occurred in the last eight years, since the Academy expanded the Best Picture field to 10 nominees in 2009 (i.e. for the Oscar Ceremony in 2010, the 82nd Academy Awards), and switched this up again so that "up to 10" nominees are nominated.

4 out of the last 5 actually (only Birdman won both).

Edited by department store basement