FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

I cannot believe people are making the western/superhero comparison to be honest.

Visually and graphically, first, the Western is VERY limited, same clothes, same sets ( can you recognize a Western town from one another  ? I sure can't), same natural sets ( hello Monument Valley!), same weapons (shotguns, Smith & Wessons), horses, sheriffs , stetsons, , John Wayne, duels ...

Western can only change the tone of the story but it s always the same in too many areas.

Iron Man 

Thor

X Men

Batman

Superman

Green Lantern

Black Panther

Cap America

etc etc

etc

Besides the superpower & funny clothes, these characters allow to explore more worlds and stories than any western.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The golden age of westerns lasted 40 years. The golden age of superhero movies lasted only 10 years so far. Not a fair comparison.

Plus there are millions who would say TDK, Logan, SM2, Winter Soldier, DOFP, etc resonate and have more replay value and relevancy, for them personally, than any Western.

Lol, comic book movies have been going since Superman in the 80s.  X-Men in 2001 if you're being generous.

There's also millions who have valued Westerns more.  Just because they aren't big in new pop culture doesn't lessen the value of the greats.

40 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

LOGAN was f*cking awesome...from Origins to this...how the world has changed...

Its amazing.  The Wolverine solo movies nearly started out on the "so bad its good" level to and finished with a stylish Noirish Neo Western thats probably the best CBM to date depending on who you ask.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I cannot believe people are making the western/superhero comparison to be honest.

Visually and graphically, first, the Western is VERY limited, same clothes, same sets ( can you recognize a Western town from one another  ? I sure can't), same natural sets ( hello Monument Valley!), same weapons (shotguns, Smith & Wessons), horses, sheriffs , stetsons, , John Wayne, duels ...

Western can only change the tone of the story but it s always the same in too many areas.

Iron Man 

Thor

X Men

Batman

Superman

Green Lantern

Black Panther

Cap America

etc etc

etc

Besides the superpower & funny clothes, these characters allow to explore more worlds and stories than any western.

They're comparing it to a western partially because the director was directly quoted as saying that they used westerns as an inspiration for this movie.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the superhero genre took a hell of a lot quicker to get reflective than the western did. that's for sure at least. i suppose it's just the modern age.

You mean longer?

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Its amazing.  The Wolverine solo movies started out on the "so bad its good" level to stylish Noirish Neo Western and probably the best CBM to date depending on who you ask.

So the funniest thing is I saw my two associates out on a date and they freaked out...

Afterwards, I asked how they liked it...their responses were very proper and my reply was "it was f*cking awesome" and suddenly the expletives started flying...

• Like 4

Just now, The Panda said:

You mean longer?

no i mean the thing that i said. if we go to Metz' four stages (experimental, classic, parody, deconstruction) of genre then i'd say the western didn't even get to stage 3 until cat ballou which is 30 years deep into the genre.