DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

In the TOP 35 WW of 2016, there are 

ONLY TWO MOVIES that are not VFX/CGI heavy, 2 !

La La Land and Conjuring 2, both have effects though but not on the scale of the other 33(!!!) movies.

Studios and producers don't spend big money because it is fun, they do it because it is what put butts in seats.

Pretty simple really.

Agreed. When people go to the movies these days, the case is (almost always) that they are looking for something truly spectacular. Otherwise, TV, streaming, piracy, video games can offer very good entertainment at one's domestic comfort and at a much lower cost. This is part of the process that has rendered the plot/character driven movie almost extinct. This is why we are all so shocked/happy to see Split/La La Land/HF/Get Out and maybe even Manchester do so well. It seems that only grand spectacle can bring in the $$$. It's now super-rare to get anything else high up the BO charts. 

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Three expansions for Passengers and they're going to have to try another to get it to $100m unless those double bill drive in with Life really deliver...

Feb 3–5     22 $860,715 -5.6%   1,104    +479 $780      $97,391,585 7
Feb 10–12 29 $236,196 -72.6% 215 -889    $1,099 $97,986,761 8
Feb 17–19 24 $395,984    +67.7% 658 +443 $602 $98,517,724 9
Feb 17–20 24 $472,882 +100% 658 +443 $719 $98,594,622 9
Feb 24–26 26 $243,117 -38.6% 287 -371 $847 $98,952,525 10
Mar 3–5 32 $132,711 -45.4% 175 -112 $758 $99,193,459 11

Dollar theaters have it as a double bill with Resident Evil:The Final Chapter.

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Let's not forget both Cleopatra and Superman's budgets adjust to 200 million plus today

Quo Vadis also cost a fortune back in the day, as did Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments, same with 2001: A Space Odyssey 

But wanna know what has come to my mind now out of the blue? Renny Harlin's Cutthroat Island! Now *that* was a mega-flop! :lol:

When was the last time a non VFX heavy/adult skewing movie made more than 200m in USA ?

Besides American Sniper.

Passion of the Christ maybe ?

It has become rarefied air.

Edited by The Futurist

Have a feeling Kong will do really well today, the matinees around me seem to be selling well, and it has only dropped 1% from its peak on Movietickets yesterday (openers normally drop a lot on Saturday in percentage terms if they have a fan rush)

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Also did X men First Class go overbudget? 160m budget for that seems excessive 

Movie was an absolute nightmare to make, greenlit super late by Fox.

The Hawai set for the final act got destroyed by a storm, they had to rebuild everything in a studio, resulting in very costly re-shoots.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Have a feeling Kong will do really well today, the matinees around me seem to be selling well, and it has only dropped 1% from its peak on Movietickets yesterday (openers normally drop a lot on Saturday in percentage terms if they have a fan rush)

Could do 25 today and make it to 60 for the weekend now.

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

When was the last time a non VFX heavy/adult skewing movie made more than 200m in USA ?

Besides American Sniper.

Passion of the Christ maybe ?

It has become rarefied air.

Ted did $219m in 2012. We don't see every many of these anymore, but it's worth noting that Hidden Figures and Get Out are likely heading to $170m-$175m domestic...the benchmark for success for these films is very different from your average blockbuster.

Edited by Eevin

Just now, Eevin said:

Ted did $219m in 2012. We don't see every many of these anymore, but it's worth noting that Hidden Figures and Get Out are likely heading to $170m-$175m domestic...

Yes, forgot comedies that sometimes can go quite high, Hangover I.

Even over 150m for the type of films I described in my previous post is pretty rare.

Get Out will go that high ?

Damn.

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

One series that I'm kind of shocked where the budgets aren't much higher (though still very expensive) is Transformers

Last Knight is said to be $260 million.

But for all his faults Micheal Bay is known for shooting on time and on budget.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

One series that I'm kind of shocked where the budgets aren't much higher (though still very expensive) is Transformers

Cheaper casts.

Edited by JB33