DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

2 minutes ago, the128boy said:

Kong 60? 150 dom?

That may be possible.  While next week is obviously Beauty and the Beast's big debut, maybe it is Kong's third weekend that will tell us the most about the rest of its run.  I'm still skeptical about Power Rangers, even should that get good reviews.  Kong may have a good holdover number that weekend.

• Like 1

Kong hit 45m, it's highest projection, in two days!! This has got to relieve WB a bit now. Just needs a 15m Sunday for 60m. 

With performing better than expectations, and overseas likely to be really good.... The MonsterVerse is on! Well, it was already on... But still.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 3

Batman v Superman's third weekend was $23.3m. 

Get Out's third weekend is going to be around $22m with a budget 1/56 of BvS. 

But please, no one learn anything from this.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 22

7 minutes ago, Eevin said:

BvS 166m opening weekend. in 3 days. Yeah, I don't think there is anything to learn.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

And both movies are very successful. Now please stop with the awful comparisons.

2 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

BvS 166m opening weekend. in 3 days. Yeah, I don't think there is anything to learn.

I'm not denying that BvS was successful, but in the long run studios are going to end up making a lot more films like BvS than Get Out. There's still room for movies like this in the marketplace.

Kong is playing like a family movie apperently. Sunday number should be good too. 

61-62 mill OW

160 mill DOM

China should outgross that OW but with weaker multiplier

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Countless small-budget films are produced in the US every year. Most of them are not seen by almost anyone and are quickly forgotten. Cases such as that of Get Out are extremely rare and have become all the rarer in the last 10-15 years or so. Big budget movies sometimes succeed and sometimes fail, but it clearly makes sense for the studios to keep making them. 

• Like 2

Happy for Kong's domestic performance. Above expectations and beating Jackson's Kong opening weekend. Now will it be able to beat the total domestic? I hope so, but 180+ would be solid.

What is problematic is its overseas performance so far...I was expecting 90-110 OW minus China and Japan, but it is being estimated to gross between 65-75 according to deadline. 

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Happy for Kong's domestic performance. Above expectations and beating Jackson's Kong opening weekend. Now will it be able to beat the total domestic? I hope so, but 180+ would be solid.

What is problematic is its overseas performance so far...I was expecting 90-110 OW minus China and Japan, but it is being estimated to gross between 65-75 according to deadline. 

G14 did about 200m overseas without China... So it should do at least the same. China is going to very much outperform Godzilla in China.

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Tremendous performance by all 3 leading movies this weekend. 

Like I said earlier in the week, WB was lowballing Kong's potential (as studios usually do nowadays) As for Kong's OS appeal, I think many on this forum are overestimating its potential, but I have little concrete numbers for now, also the strong dollar is not helping Hollywood at all.