kayumanggi

THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE | Terry Gilliam | Adam Driver, Jonathan Pryce, Olga Kurylenko, Stellan Skarsgård

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Read a review that said Driver was a poor replacement for Depp and I feel queasy

More then one review says that although he tries hard and has his moments, Driver just cannot bring the kind of comic touch to the role that Depp would have brought, based on what we saw of Depp in "Lost In La Mancha".

And the Kurylenko/Skarsgaard plotline is coming in for a lot of criticism for taking up a lot of screen time and not really working.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

If we're talking about late '90s/early '00s Depp that's not too egregious

Sorry but I read his name and I think of #mortdecai can't help it

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

If we're talking about late '90s/early '00s Depp that's not too egregious

A lot of us feel that was when Depp did his best work, before Jack Sparrow sort of ruined him as an actor.

It's good. Not a General Public material - but what Gilliam has ever been?

I think no Gilliam fan can afford to miss it - it could be his last movie, and it feels like it, very Meta...

I liked it much better than his latest: The Zero Theorem and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which felt even more unfocused than this one. What I mostly didn't like in The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is it lacks the usual level of unmistakable visual flair; it is an under-budgeted movie (we know why) and it looks like it. Barring this - it's better than his last two, more original.

Can't place it higher, because I am a HUGE!! fan of his middle period (Tideland and especially The Brothers Grimm, which I saw like 5 times in cinemas). And his classic movies are untouchable: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Twelve Monkeys, The Fisher King, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Brazil. Saw most of them last year in cinemas again, at a Gilliam film fest - and they haven't lost much of their impact. (The Shay only watches movies in the cinema, no TV, no torrents - so I use every little chance I get for this.)

• Like 2