grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

2 hours ago, StevenG said:

And never underestimate the potential female audience this will get. The Rock is an attractive dude, the film is all about a relateable male hero protecting one's family, and it seems like Neve Campbell's role has a tad more to do than the typical girlfriend role. 

People will enjoy Neve Campbell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

From now on, men in action movies should let their significant others defend themselves, or die.

With the money A quiet place just made, San Andreas before that, the Taken franchise, I doubt it will happen soon, men protect is family will be a very lucrative trope for a long time.

• Like 1

It's hilarious how they try to move the goal posts up, for the Rock's movies 🤣. "Highest 'original' concept movie!! Biggest movie star in the world!! You got that? Not the highest movie period, the highest original concept movie. With that standard, the Rock will be opening to 30M the rest of his career 😂. A 30M opening, for a summer blockbuster film, is peanuts no matter how you slice it. Competing blockbusters make his entire domestic runs in the OPENING weekend. Didn't Will Smith have streak of 50M+ domestic openings?

Edited by OdinSon2k14

1 hour ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

With that standard, the Rock will be opening to 30M the rest of his career 😂. A 30M opening, for a summer blockbuster film, is peanuts no matter how you slice it. Competing blockbusters make his entire domestic runs in the OPENING weekend. Didn't Will Smith have streak of 50M+ domestic openings?

Do you think that without that standard Johnson will make a bigger OW effort than the crazy amount of promotions he already do and compete with original movie with the franchise 200M OW ?

Smith did it quite often 50M even unadjusted, indepedance-day, Men in black, I robot, Hancock, I am legend (a bit of an IP there but not that strong), but even Tom Cruise did it only one time outside sequel with Spielberg War of the world and that was a remake. Tom Hanks never did.

It is not like Smith OW power was common.

A difference is that they didn't had to spend billion buying the franchise prior to or paying the estate/owner on the movie revenues if they didn't bought it.

Edited by Barnack

This is basically making half of what Rampage did in terms of online activity.

The second trailer had a huge drop off in views. 

That didn't stop "Jumanji" from opening huge, though. 

Still, only 60k likes on FB is a pretty bad number for such a movie, even though it should skew older than Rampage.

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

This is definitely one of the top 3 box office wildcards of the summer. I'm super curious as to how it will do, and I really think more than anything it will depend heavily on word of mouth and reviews. 

25/65. Initially, it looked like The Equalizer was going to suffer sandwiched between this and MI. Now, it looks like this will suffer between Ant-Man and Equalizer. Universal needs to fix this fast, but I don't think they care.

Feel like this is a movie targeting a really quiet on the film Internet audience, making it way harder to judge with those metric. But if the first trailer reached people and not the second one that could show something, I think the same happened with Tomb Raider for example (did the first trailer matched a Superbowl push too ?)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Feel like this is a movie targeting a really quiet on the film Internet audience, making it way harder to judge with those metric. But if the first trailer reached people and not the second one that could show something, I think the same happened with Tomb Raider for example (did the first trailer matched a Superbowl push too ?)

Tomb Raider didn't have a Superbowl ad; WB releases never do

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tomb Raider didn't have a Superbowl ad; WB releases never do

I am talking about Skyscraper.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dwayne-johnsons-skyscraper-gets-heroic-super-bowl-spot-1080774

Concerning that worry: 

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

The second trailer had a huge drop off in views. 

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Barnack said:

Skyscraper's marketing got kicked off with the Superbowl; didn't know if you were talking about that or TR :lol: 

Brief reminder that some recent Rockblusters were massively overestimated. Nobody saw Baywatch bombing like it did, and some people thought there was no way Rampage could go under 40M on OW a week before release. I'm not saying Skyscraper has to be another Jumanji at the box office, but this feels like something we were overestimating because of Dwayne Johnson.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

but this feels like something we were overestimating because of Dwayne Johnson

But like Jumanji it is featuring a really well proven commercially movie trope (And A Quiet Place just worked really well with it), even more than a trope now an actual already made movie that people love and something F+25 could be interesting in. Rampage was a bit more risky/unproven proposition and Baywatch didn't play on is extremelly safe time in theater family 8-77 year's old audience crowd Johnson get.

But sure non IP franchise does not have an high floor and you have a lot of franchise movie sharing a lot of is potential audience (MI 6, ant man, Equalizer 2) a possibly bigger spectacle in Meg and Mile 22 around the same time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Barnack said:

But like Jumanji it is featuring a really well proven commercially movie trope (And A Quiet Place just worked really well with it), even more than a trope now an actual already made movie that people love and something F+25 could be interesting in. Rampage was a bit more risky/unproven proposition and Baywatch didn't play on is extremelly safe time in theater family 8-77 year's old audience crowd Johnson get.

But sure non IP franchise does not have an high floor and you have a lot of franchise movie sharing a lot of is potential audience (MI 6, ant man, Equalizer 2) a possibly bigger spectacle in Meg and Mile 22 around the same time.

Jumanji also had the IP with 20 years of nostalgia and other stars.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Jumanji also had the IP with 20 years of nostalgia and other stars.

A bit the same for Baywatch (with smaller stars, bigger IP but no high concept).

The general point is that Skyscraper has much more going for it than it's cast.

• Like 1