grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

The Rock is pretty much another Arnold. Can't act but audience eat his unique on-screen charisma. But like I said in other threads, he will have Arnold's problem when he gets old and loses his physical attraction because like Arnold, Dwayne's on-screen charisma comes mostly from his physical attraction. People quickly lost interest in Arnold in the late 90's when his physical attraction dropped like a rock. This quick fading will happen on Dwayne one day.

This also speaks for why Stallone and Willis are having much longer acting career than Arnold, because they can act.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

It's also necessary to mention that Arnold's quick physical fading also had a lot do with his steroids use in his bodybuilding days. Stallone had the same problem (not for bodybuilding of cause). It's safe to assume that The Rock takes steroids as well, so there's more similarity between him and Arnold.

Edited by vc2002

2 hours ago, vc2002 said:

It's also necessary to mention that Arnold's quick physical fading also had a lot do with his steroids use in his bodybuilding days. Stallone had the same problem (not for bodybuilding of cause). It's safe to assume that The Rock takes steroids as well, so there's more similarity between him and Arnold.

How dare you even imply this. The Rock is all natural, baby.

Delete your post.

• Haha 2

Eh.

Every big star plays themselves (or varying shades of themselves) in their major films.

Unless your name is Meryl Streep or Daniel Day Lewis, playing themselves is what box office stars do.

The Rock isn't any differnt from Tom Cruise, Angelina, Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, at al.

8 hours ago, StevenG said:

Every big star plays themselves (or varying shades of themselves) in their major films.

Like someone said I do not want to watch Steve McQueen play some shy medieval priest, the high star power being is star presence is not much of an issue, it is exactly what you want, Tom Hanks played Tom Hanks in a lot of successful movies, Bullock played the character that star stiff and learn to get loose many many time.

From time to time inserting something different is good and maybe more importantly the chance to play that character in different type of movies/setting. Johnson playing it in something like Rampage and this in that sense is a really good idea.

9 hours ago, AJG said:

How dare you even imply this. The Rock is all natural, baby.

Delete your post.

I imagine it would make no sense for a pro wrestler / movie star to be natural (or what that would mean in 2018 anyway...), but it is not a Arnold/Hogan 80s steroid era either, more advance technology and technic and unlike an Arnold does not need to do those drastic water/fat lost for competition every year, he should age more gracefully, they can take massive intake of steam cell to help recuperation and aging now and other advance stuff.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, StevenG said:

Eh.

Unless your name is Meryl Streep or Daniel Day Lewis, playing themselves is what box office stars do.

The Rock isn't any differnt from Tom Cruise, Angelina, Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, at al.

Let's face it, people don't really mean "The Rock always plays himself" when they say that.

They just wanted to say The Rock can't act. "Always plays himself" is just a polite way to say it. This "always plays himself" phrase has a total difference meaning when being used on those who can act.

You can't take it literally. It's like when a girl friendzoned you saying "you're a nice guy", she didn't really mean you're a nice guy. That's just a polite way to say "you're not worth me."

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

I imagine it would make no sense for a movie star to be natural (or what that would mean in 2018), but it is not a Arnold/Hogan 80s steroid era either, more advance technology and technic and unlike an Arnold does not need to do those drastic water/fat lost for competition every year, he should age more gracefully, they can take massive intake of steam cell to help recuperation and aging now and other advance stuff.

The Rock started his wrestling career in the late 90's. It's reasonable to assume he started taking steriod since then. Not exactly a highly-advanced steroid era. And, steroid today has been hitting bodybuilders harder than in Arnold's era. Bubble gut reachs new height each year. 

He won't age as badly as Arnold did because he didn't need to take that much steroid and wrestling doesn't consume the body as hard as pro bodybuilding does. The Rock is 46, and he already looks better than Arnold at this age (1993). But, steroid will take effect no matter what.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vc2002 said:

The Rock is pretty much another Arnold. Can't act but audience eat his unique on-screen charisma. But like I said in other threads, he will have Arnold's problem when he gets old and loses his physical attraction because like Arnold, Dwayne's on-screen charisma comes mostly from his physical attraction. People quickly lost interest in Arnold in the late 90's when his physical attraction dropped like a rock. This quick fading will happen on Dwayne one day.

This also speaks for why Stallone and Willis are having much longer acting career than Arnold, because they can act.

He's no Stallone, but I'd say The Rock can act at least a little better than Arnold. The two are eerily similar though, and I don't doubt Rock's fame is going to fade quick. But that point is at least a decade or two away.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I don't think he's ever going to live down the scene where he's hopping on one leg to kick that one guy's ass. It's not really played for laughs, but the audience just went into hysterics.

I'm imagining this :bouncy: but angry.

11 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I don't think he's ever going to live down the scene where he's hopping on one leg to kick that one guy's ass. It's not really played for laughs, but the audience just went into hysterics.

That scene actually worked well and the missing leg isn’t even the focus of the scene.

• Like 1