grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

2 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Wont top Central intelligence Domestically. 

Seems unlikely to. Rampage's underwhelming OW proved The Rock's draw power on its own still isn't quite enough to open something to $40m+, and beyond that I recently realized this may be the worst scheduled movie of the summer. I say that because it gets hit by Equalizer 2 the following week and then Mission Impossible the week after that. All three are targeting the same core demo. I'm kinda wondering if all three will suffer because of it, but this is the most at risk coming first since its not guaranteed a big OW and legs could get amputated by the following competition. 

Edited by MovieMan89

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Rampage's underwhelming OW proved The Rock's draw power on its own still isn't quite enough to open something to $40m+,

I think Baywatch show that the Rock draw power on it's own isn't quite enough to open something to $20m (at least if you remove from him is nice pg-13 family audience), not sure anyone can open to $20m on their name alone. Some can if their name is matched to a particular genre. Certainly not $40m.

Denzel being probably the closest but even is power alone could not push a Roman J. isreal, Esq with that release money to a 5m OW.

Good news it that Skyscraper is far to being sold on an actor alone, it is a very proven movie concept with a giant production.

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Rated PG-13 for sequences of gun violence and action, and for brief strong language.

So much for that R rating lol

Was this ever rumored/metionned, with how much is family affair do versus is R-rated stuff (Baywatch, Pain&Gain) it would have been surprising if they would have not decided to go with a family movie for this, like they did for San Andreas.

29 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Rated PG-13 for sequences of gun violence and action, and for brief strong language.

So much for that R rating lol

It was never planned as rated R. The entire rumor is from a CJohn post in this thread which everyone took as fact for some reason.

Literally where the R rating rumor came from

On 2/6/2018 at 11:57 AM, Alli said:

Apparently this Rated R

On 2/6/2018 at 11:58 AM, That One Guy said:

Source?

On 2/6/2018 at 12:00 PM, Alli said:

I think cjohn said that yesterday. 

On 2/7/2018 at 1:46 AM, CJohn said:

No I didn't, I have no idea what is the rating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

On 4/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, Barnack said:

I think Baywatch show that the Rock draw power on it's own isn't quite enough to open something to $20m (at least if you remove from him is nice pg-13 family audience), not sure anyone can open to $20m on their name alone. Some can if their name is matched to a particular genre. Certainly not $40m.

Denzel being probably the closest but even is power alone could not push a Roman J. isreal, Esq with that release money to a 5m OW.

Good news it that Skyscraper is far to being sold on an actor alone, it is a very proven movie concept with a giant production.

Baywatch was ultimately just a star-fucking enterprise. Everything else he's done has demonstrated at lease some semblance of concept.

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

How much can it make WW? few sites reporting its budget as $60m. a reasonable 200m WW possible? is it having a release in china?

It's a Chinese production.  It's definitely getting a release in China.  I think this can do 400 WW and I have it at 200 in the Summer Game.  I went very bullish on it.

1 minute ago, StevenG said:

This will surprise everyone by how solidly it performs despite all the competition. This will be the gigantic hit that everybody thought Rampage would be. 

Die Hard meets Towering Inferno starring the Rock set in China.

Sounds like a recipe for huge numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Die Hard meets Towering Inferno starring the Rock set in China.

Sounds like a recipe for huge numbers.

China factor is an added advantage. But it has Equalizer 2 and mi in the following week continuously(almost same genre). Not a problem ? What's ur domestic opening weekend expectation ?

2 hours ago, baumer said:

It's a Chinese production.  It's definitely getting a release in China.  I think this can do 400 WW and I have it at 200 in the Summer Game.  I went very bullish on it.

U mean 200 domestically?

Domestically, I see this getting knocked around like a pinball by Ant Man & Wasp's second weekend, Transylvania 3 head-to-head,  and Equilizer 2 the following weekend. Paired with Hart, the Rock has some domestic draw, but without him...