franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

On 4/7/2023 at 11:34 AM, froztking said:

overseas has been terrible for antman nd meh for wakanda forever ! south korean market is dropped by more than 50% ! china looks like 50m max !

China hates Hollywood after covid , but in Korea, MCU got crisis of confidence

Edited by noobmaster69

32 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why though? That's the question.

It seems the Chinese government has been actively making things harder for Hollywood movies in the 2020s, out of some nationalistic desire for the Chinese film industry to flourish. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Why though? That's the question.

China people lived hard after covid, like many countries. Then China used nationalism and persecutory delusion to unite the masses. Under the strange propaganda, nationalists believe that China is already a great movie powerhouse, China movies are the top level. The weak overseas box office is due to suppressed. Hollywood only produces industrial crap and brainwashing, NWH, TGM & A2 all about shit.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

27 minutes ago, noobmaster69 said:

China people lived hard after covid, like many countries. Then China used nationalism and persecutory delusion to unite the masses. Under the strange propaganda, nationalists believe that China is already a great movie powerhouse, China movies are the top level. The weak overseas box office is due to suppressed. Hollywood only produces industrial crap and brainwashing, NWH, TGM & A2 all about shit.

That must have been some pretty strong brainwashing to get people to believe that. 😂

On 4/8/2023 at 10:00 PM, WittyUsername said:

It seems the Chinese government has been actively making things harder for Hollywood movies in the 2020s, out of some nationalistic desire for the Chinese film industry to flourish. 

on what are you basing this?

Avatar 2 got 2-3 expansions and i dont remember any specific actions against the marvel movies.

most of the hollywood movies got a release in china r bad or average or movies like m3gan,wf got a delayed rls when they already released in digital ! so if guardians 3 with great reviews or fast x fails then we can make sure it ! marios is doing pretty good with good reviews lets see how that perform ! 11m$ ow so if it can do around 35-40m it would be great !

12 minutes ago, froztking said:

most of the hollywood movies got a release in china r bad or average or movies like m3gan,wf got a delayed rls when they already released in digital ! so if guardians 3 with great reviews or fast x fails then we can make sure it ! marios is doing pretty good with good reviews lets see how that perform ! 11m$ ow so if it can do around 35-40m it would be great !

Mario run seems almost done looking at monday drop. Most of the OW BO was during its opening day and then it lost screens and now the BO is just meh. Hollywood at this point is supported only by niche. I am waiting on FX, Transformers and MI7 to see if that changes. 

1 hour ago, Coldbird said:

Avatar 2 got 2-3 expansions and i dont remember any specific actions against the marvel movies.

None of the Marvel movies released in 2021 got released in China. Before BP2, the last Marvel movie to get released over there was FFH. 

As for Avatar. That seems to be one of the exceptions. Even so, the movie didn’t exactly break records over there. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coldbird said:

People thought Avatar 2 could do $600M+ in China...It didn't even do half of that with expansions. Antman has always been relatively big in China yet AM3 just barely crossed the OW gross of AM2

This almost feels like Justice League few years. If you go back to tracking thread, chatter was about no way it opens sub 150m. BvS opened to 166 with horrible reviews and JL followed Wonder Woman which had amazing legs domestic. But tracking just went south and it did not even hit 100m. 

Hopefully the reviews are great but I agree with JustLurking that keeping it to 2 days before release is not going to help with its OW BO. They need it out early. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This almost feels like Justice League few years. If you go back to tracking thread, chatter was about no way it opens sub 150m. BvS opened to 166 with horrible reviews and JL followed Wonder Woman which had amazing legs domestic. But tracking just went south and it did not even hit 100m. 

Hopefully the reviews are great but I agree with JustLurking that keeping it to 2 days before release is not going to help with its OW BO. They need it out early. 

Yes. Agree. Go back to old way of dropping the embargo a week or two early to generate more buzz...

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Justice League is unfortunately a pretty good comparison.

After a several poorly received films, but decent box office returns, the refrain becomes that it's too soon to panic. And then it suddenly isn't.

Guardians will be such an unfortunate franchise to be the one where the bottom starts falling out if things play out as tracking suggests.

The first film was the one that pushed Marvel to being a true brand, and the feeling that they could make any character a success.

Honestly, I don't think good reviews will help it, at least in its opening weekend. Mario just reminded us of how much hype can push back mixed/bad critic reviews. Even Ant-Man had a great opening weekend despite the bad reviews, it was only after that things fell apart once audience WOM kicked in. That is what's gonna be key for this movie, and probably a lot of future MCU solo movies not named Spider-Man or Deadpool. They are gonna need an A or at least A- Cinemascore. If Guardians accomplishes that then they can save face against an underwhelming opening.

I think the JL comparison is apt because, despite the bad buzz of coming off of BVS and Suicide Squad, it probably could have gotten over $100M opening and did better if audiences connected with it. I can see a similar scenario here, just remains to be seen if the audience reception follows suit.

At this point, opening above Ant-Man 3 with decent word of mouth might as well be considered a win. Superhero fatigue has officially arrived. It wouldn’t surprise me if video game movies become the new thing. 

Edited by WittyUsername

26 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

At this point, opening above Ant-Man 3 with decent word of mouth might as well be considered a win. Superhero fatigue has officially arrived. It wouldn’t surprise me if video game movies become the new thing. 

I'll hold on that for now... I can see Mario and it's sequels being huge for now but there really aren't any other characters quite like Mario. He's enormously popular and known by just about everyone alive. We already have Sonic movies and both did well but neither was a huge blockbuster. I do think a Crash Bandicoot movie could be pretty big honestly. I'm not sure about others than maybe Zelda?

I do think superhero movies are fading a bit for sure. That said Spider-Verse 2 will likely be bigger than every video game movie not named Mario. And, really, Guardians Vol. 3 will absolutely be bigger than every video game movie not named Mario. Whereas before the superhero movie boom in the late 2000s, we still saw absolutely insane admissions from Superman in 1978, Batman in 1989 and Spider-man and Spider-man 2 in 2002 and 2004. And, we saw pretty impressive admissions for the Singer X-Men movies too. Heck, even Fantastic Four in 2005 when adjusted up for inflation has decent admissions.

Before Mario, other than Sonic, we never really had a video game movie breakout with a lot of admissions aside from I guess the first Tomb Raider did okay?

We'll see but Mario might be a special circumstance because of just how widely known the character is, it was animated movie for the whole family and there's never been a proper Mario movie until now.

There is just a lack of hype for this. 

I like the Guardians but after Endgame, you sort of just want to move on from all these sequels. Marvel is burning its audience out.

Also the quality issue, if there is any chance this gets mixed/negative and disappointing box office (I don’t think it will), I’m interested to see how Marvel respond if at all.

3 hours ago, exomassey said:

Also the quality issue, if there is any chance this gets mixed/negative and disappointing box office (I don’t think it will), I’m interested to see how Marvel respond if at all.

Not only would that create more problems for Marvel but DC as well given James Gunn's involvement.