franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

10 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I've been doing a GOTG rewatch marathon this week and I enjoyed Vol. 2 for the most part but Ego's heel turn felt kinda rushed. I've been hearing Vol. 3 is better though so that's good to hear. I have my ticket for Sunday and looking forward to it because the Guardians are so much fun to watch.

An A was the norm for the MCU before Phase Four. 

Saw it. Movie was great, not as good as the first one but still great, very emotional. For me GOTG is the real goat of the MCU.

9/10

Edited by dignam
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dignam said:

Saw it. Movie was great, not as good as the first one but still great, very emotional. For me GOTG is the real goat of the MCU.

9/10

I have both at a 9/10 but I have to give it a rewatch to determine if I like it better than the 1st. 2nd one was underwhelming to say the least.

Maybe it’s just me, but when people talked about how intense the animal cruelty in this movie is, I have to be honest, I was kind of expecting something more graphic. Yeah, there’s definitely animal cruelty here, but people made it made me think we’d be shown more than we were. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

May be this is not consistent as the first one, but emotionally... 

Great job from Gunn, best MCU movie since, I don't know, first Black Panther, may be.

Also, my wow for Framestore and Weta.

7.5/10

That Jesus Piece album is tough

• Thanks 1

Not as good as the last one or TSS but this was pretty good. Emotional beats didnt reallt affect me but it was a fun adventure film and I can't remember the last supe not directed by Gunn felt like that. Honestly, the alleged darkness of this felt wildly exaggerated. But animal stuff usually doesn't affect me much.

visually the cgi sets and action looked great for once , not sure what was different besides a director having a clear vision that didn't have major changes at the last minute. And this was borderline R, not in a way some fake headlines way that thought Dr Strange 2 was, lol

9 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

And this was borderline R, not in a way some fake headlines way that thought Dr Strange 2 was, lol

Nah, people have just forgotten that PG13 doesn’t mean “bring your 5 year old without even thinking about it”, and then they act shocked when a film that is classified as recommending parental guidance for children under 13 might not actually be suitable for children under 13. The only potentially nightmare inducing scene for young kids is a shot of someone’s face, the animal cruelty has been wildly over-exaggerated. PG13’s in the 80’s and 90’s got away with far more than this did.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Nah, people have just forgotten that PG13 doesn’t mean “bring your 5 year old without even thinking about it”, and then they act shocked when a film that is classified as recommending parental guidance for children under 13 might not actually be suitable for children under 13. The only potentially nightmare inducing scene for young kids is a shot of someone’s face, the animal cruelty has been wildly over-exaggerated. PG13’s in the 80’s and 90’s got away with far more than this did.

It just reaffirms that, despite what some fans would say, that a lot of people consider the MCU kid's movies to throw on and babysit their 10 year old.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think the only reason this movie is seen as shocking is because most PG-13 films are pretty tame with their violence. It’s usually just some folks getting shot/hit but with no real impact and someone says a bad word. Gunn used the rating to its full potential here in a way most usually don’t.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I think the only reason this movie is seen as shocking is because most PG-13 films are pretty tame with their violence. It’s usually just some folks getting shot/hit but with no real impact and someone says a bad word. Gunn used the rating to its full potential here in a way most usually don’t.

I mean, are we forgetting that just last year The Batman was rated PG13 and featured Paul Dano smashing a guys head in with a carpet fitting tool?

The Batman was far more violent than GOTG3, as evidenced by its 15 rating in the UK. Not saying GOTG3 wasn’t a relatively strong PG13/12A (I’d imagine “the face” was pushing it), but everything in it was well within the boundaries of that rating, it’s just parents have forgotten what the rating means.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I mean, are we forgetting that just last year The Batman was rated PG13 and featured Paul Dano smashing a guys head in with a carpet fitting tool?

The Batman was far more violent than GOTG3, as evidenced by its 15 rating in the UK. Not saying GOTG3 wasn’t a relatively strong PG13/12A (I’d imagine “the face” was pushing it), but everything in it was well within the boundaries of that rating, it’s just parents have forgotten what the rating means.

I agree with you regarding the content being within the rating, but like I said most PG-13 films don’t do much with the rating which is why when something like Guardians happens it becomes a big deal.

As for Batman, I think there’s usually a greater expectation to having that character be dark and a bit more harsh with its content. That’s why there wasn’t as much of a discourse.

• Like 2

Parents maybe need to let their children expand their viewing a little more.

Finding Doctor Strange too scary and GOTG too sad, maybe this is what happens when they only watch Disney films their whole lives. 

80s and 90s kids were watching watching “dark” films like Monster Squad, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Batman Returns, Lost Boys etc with no issues. Not Frozen 2 forty seven times a year on Disney+.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Finding Doctor Strange too scary and GOTG too sad, maybe this is what happens when they only watch Disney films their whole lives. 

80s and 90s kids were watching watching “dark” films like Monster Squad, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Batman Returns, Lost Boys etc with no issues. Not Frozen 2 forty seven times a year on Disney+.

Show them Disney's snow white

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I agree with your point but wasn’t Batman Returns controversial when it came out due to its content?

Just now, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I agree with your point but wasn’t Batman Returns controversial when it came out due to its content?

Yeh I guess I mean more at home, VHS, blockbuster etc. Batman Returns was a 15 here in the UK, so kids couldn’t even see it in cinemas, accompanied or not. 

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Yeah, I remember a video of some 🤓 kid saying he shouldn't been allowed to watch and WB should be ashamed lol

• Haha 4