Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

She's literally a fantasy mermaid who lives under the sea with a Jamaican crab. There's no reason she HAS to be white unless that's the only way you'll accept her. I think you'd be surprised how well-received that would be outside racists on the Internet. I think that most of the girls in real life that go crazy for Disney shit don't give a damn at all. And plenty of them would finally have a hero that looks like them. So what's the big deal? Cast who is best for the role, and don't care about what people on the Internet say.

People were losing it at the possibility of Zendaya playing MJ...so sadly I don't see it happening

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Not a record.

TFA absolutely does count.

Yeah, especially since BATB wasn't sold on Watson, it was sold on being BATB.  

Otherwise you wouldnt count JW as being the largest male-lead opener.

The best argument you could have against TFA is that it's more of an ensemble film.

1 minute ago, XO21 said:

People were losing it at the possibility of Zendaya playing MJ...so sadly I don't see it happening

And that's not going to effect Homecomings BO.  And the people losing it over that aren't the people who were going to see TLM in the first place.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Other important records of note:

- Biggest opening ever for a female-led film (The Force Awakens doesn't really count since the brand did all of the work there).

- Biggest opening ever for a musical (beating Pitch Perfect 2, lol).

I agree, TFA wasn't sole female-led, compare to hunger game, TFA was more balanced, and in fact rey was the last main character to appear in film, 1st was poe, followed by kylo ren and finn

TFA never is a female-led film for me, it's more like co-led by a group, but rogue one definitely is female-led 

1 minute ago, XO21 said:

The same people losing it were the same people who lost it that there was a black stormtrooper. This vocal minority of creeps on the Internet (and Presidents in the White House :kitschjob:) is not representative of the people who actually go see movies.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

Yeah, especially since BATB wasn't sold on Watson, it was sold on being BATB.  

Otherwise you wouldnt count JW as being the largest male-lead opener.

The best argument you could have against TFA is that it's more of an ensemble film.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ridley was never really advertised as the lead in TFA, was she? I remember most people thinking it was Boyega up until the movie actually released.

3 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Which made zero sense. Some people just like to nitpick for no reason.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol get outta here. Emma Watson was absolutely at the center of Beauty and the Beast's marketing. The same can't be said for Daisy Ridley in The Force Awakens.

Anyone who says BatB was unlikely to make over 150 m OW without Emma Watson simply doesn't know how much of a cultural phenomenon BatB was during the 90's.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The same people losing it were the same people who lost it that there was a black stormtrooper. This vocal minority of creeps on the Internet (and Presidents in the White House :kitschjob:) is not representative of the people who actually go see movies.

Remember when people lost their shit and said F4 reboot would be bad because they cast Michael B. Jordan as Human Torch :lol: ? It is shame it was indeed awful, and those people felt victorious, because I wish they would have been proven wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Eevin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ridley was never really advertised as the lead in TFA, was she? I remember most people thinking it was Boyega up until the movie actually released.

She was prominently shown and was the center of the poster.  My only reason why I'd be tempted to give it to BATB instead is that Star Wars is really ensemble based.  The only Star Wars movie with a true leading character is Rogue One.

But then again I'd say Rey was at least (if not more of) a lead than Luke was in the OT.  Even then I'd say all of the trilogies have multiple leads, not a singular lead.

Belle is for sure the singular lead of BATB though.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Anyone who says BatB was unlikely to make over 150 m OW without Emma Watson simply doesn't know how much of a cultural phenomenon BatB was during the 90's.

I think it would have opened with 110-120M without Watson. Her name attached to the project helped creating buzz since the start. The same people who saw BatB when they were kids grew up with Harry Potter. It is double nostalgia powah at display.

• Like 4

I'm surprised BATB wasn't huge in IMAX although $21m is not to be sniffed at. I saw it in a PLF screen and it really benefits from being on a big screen and big sound. I can't  imagine it would be a film which benefitted from D-Box and 4DX unlike Kong or Logan. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Remember when people lost their shit and said F4 reboot would be bad because they cast Michael B. Jordan as Human Torch :lol: ? It is shame it was indeed awful, and those people felt victorious, because I wish they would have been proven wrong.

There were a lot of things wrong with F4, but Michael B Jordan wasn't one of them.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I wish they had been proven wrong, too. MBJ was the only good part of that movie. It flopped because it was wretched.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Doesn't change the fact that Beauty and the Beast is a female-led blockbuster and Star Wars will never be sold as such.

• Like 2