Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

I feel like Power Rangers is destined to underperform now in the wake of BATB along with Logan and Kong making a huge dent. Are there any actual 90s kids that were clamoring for this to begin with? The new generation probably doesn't care either.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I always saw Johnny Storm as an arrogant class clown that has boyish good looks that most girls crush over.

I'd say the Fresh Prince of Bel Air era Will Smith would be the perfect black Human Torch.

MJB just comes off as too tough around the edges and no nonsense even if he does crack jokes in the trailer.

MBJ had it to pull it off. The problem was that Trank wasn't strong enough to keep the project afloat and it fell apart. He wasn't ready.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I can see it having a 10-12M OW and then finishing with 30M or so after dying against GotG2 on his 2nd weekend.

If that even.  I see a $5m-$7m opening and maybe $18m total run.  1,800 theaters opening it would be a success.  

People predicting $25m or $30m openings are insane.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No one's saying that but for marketing and box office purposes, the success of BATB will do more for female-led films than TFA will.

I think it will do more for making female-targeted tentpoles.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No one's saying that but for marketing and box office purposes, the success of BATB will do more for female-led films than TFA will.

I gotta be honest, that feels like a hollow victory at best.

I don't have much faith in executives taking that message from the mega success of BatB. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I feel like Power Rangers is destined to underperform now in the wake of BATB along with Logan and Kong making a huge dent. Are there any actual 90s kids that were clamoring for this to begin with? The new generation probably doesn't care either.

Lmao, Power Rangers and Ghost in the Shell are dead. BatB will win four weekends in a row.

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

I am still unsure about that one because there is zero human element in it. It will be just CGI animals. Of course the voice cast will be all star, like Jungle Book, but still...

Yea I worry about the same thing. That's what I mean by pull it off. Having a human to play off the CGI obviously helped JB/BATB.

Idk, as a kid it always felt like Aladdin was alot more liked and bigger than Batb, too. It took a re-release for the box office to be so close. If they do that well with an actual diverse cast, it can bank too. I also think that this conversation is depressing af, but I'll wait till I see BaTB later to write creative blockbusters' eulogy I guess.

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

If that even.  I see a $5m-$7m opening and maybe $18m total run.  1,800 theaters opening it would be a success.  

People predicting $25m or $30m openings are insane.  

I think STX will push it to 2,500 theaters or so (unless you already know it won't have that numbers of theaters).

Just now, MrPink said:

I don't have much faith in executives taking that message from the mega success of BatB. 

At least it feels like we've been moving away from the "moviegoers won't see movies that don't star white men" mantra.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Ok.

That didn't stop Straight Outta Compton. TCs don't mean much if the movie is poised to do well.

Which also reviewed extremely well, and had recognition by nature of some of the 90s (and to some extent today with Dre) most famous rappers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

James Ponsoldt has done it before.

I'm a fan, but screenings for the movie didn't go well. There were reshoots a few months ago and Elfman was rewriting music a few weeks ago (he scored the movie last April).