Dementeleus

BOT: The Revisiting! The Top 25 of 2007 -- It's done! Best Film of 2007 has been revealed!

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

So good, he just straight up reused it for Kick-Ass!

To be fair, he re-used it because of temp-tracking. It's so good, it's a more recent film music that's basically become go to trailer music. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

46 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Transformers is only one spot above Knocked Up and two spots above Order of the Phoenix. Fuck all of you. Fuck all of you

You should be thankful it showed up on this list at all, considering it's not deserving of a spot. 

42 minutes ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

I spy with my little eye a lot of movies better than Transformers @Ethan Hunt

I'll give you that, but something like Zombie's Halloween does make Transformers look like a masterpiece. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

To be fair, he re-used it because of temp-tracking. It's so good, it's a more recent film that's basically become go to trailer music. 

I wasn't even mad, I loved every second of that Hit Girl rescue

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

You should be thankful it showed up on this list at all, considering it's not deserving of a spot. 

I'll give you that, but something like Zombie's Halloween does make Transformers look like a masterpiece. 

Youre entitled to your opinion. 

But its wrong. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I wasn't even mad, I loved every second of that Hit Girl rescue

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a great scene, and the music helps. It's certainly better than anything Jackman composed for the film (of course).

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Well, Beggers can't be choosers.

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Youre entitled to your opinion. 

But its wrong. :)

And your opinion is wrong as well. :D

That's fair. I have little issue with Transformers showing up on this list since I was expecting it to anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

Ultimatum isn't top 5 worthy at all honestly.

I did a re-watch for it for the list since it's been so long and I was underwhelmed.  Bourne in the movies is such a boring character, aside from his interesting skill set there's no there there.  There's no one else to get excited by either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I did a re-watch for it for the list since it's been so long and I was underwhelmed.  Bourne in the movies is such a boring character, aside from his interesting skill set there's no there there.  There's no one else to get excited by either.

Yeah, all of the Bourne movies dropped on re-watch for me.  I used to think they were incredible, now I just find them good with some great moments.

• Like 1

15. Michael Clayton

starring George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton
written and directed by Tony Gilroy

IMDB synopsis: A law firm brings in its "fixer" to remedy the situation after a lawyer has a breakdown while representing a chemical company that he knows is guilty in a multibillion-dollar class action suit.

MICHAEL CLAYTON was a modest production, but buzz about it grew the moment it premiered at the Venice Film Festival, and while it was not a huge commercial hit, it got quite a bit of award praise during the winter season, and ultimately ended up with seven Oscar nominations. Clooney, Wilkinson, and Swinton all received excellent critical praise, as did Gilroy’s taut, bleak script and no-nonsense direction.

Tomatometer: 90%

Random critic comment: “It is just about perfect as an exercise in the genre. I've seen it twice, and the second time, knowing everything that would happen, I found it just as fascinating because of how well it was all shown happening.” — Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Random RTM comment: “This movie in addition to being well paced, directed and having great performances is something you don't see these days in Hollywood a smart movie made for adults.” — DAR

• Like 9

14. Enchanted

starring Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey, James Marsden

written by Bill Kelly

directed by Kevin Lima

IMDB synopsis: A young maiden in a land called Andalasia, who is prepared to be wed, is sent away to New York City by an evil queen, where she falls in love with a lawyer.

Like most movies, ENCHANTED had an interesting route to release. Screenwriter Bill Kelly’s script was originally bought by Touchstone Pictures back in 1997… The Powers That Be felt it was unsuitable for Walt Disney Pictures since (at the time) it was a racier movie. The script was re-written multiple times, and at one point Rob Marshall was scheduled to direct. He backed out due to classic “creative differences” and Jon Turteltaub stepped in. The script got re-written again but stalled out again. Finally Kevin Lima was brought on to direct and the original screenwriter, Kelly, was brought back to do another re-write, this time combining the main plot with the idea of a loving homage to Disney. Dick Cook, the CEO of Disney, finally gave it the green light.

ENCHANTED is actually the first live-action/traditional animation hybrid since WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT (for Disney, at least). The movie was a surprise hit for Disney, and ended up grossing well over 100m domestically and over 300m worldwide. For most viewers, it was their first introduction to Amy Adams, and she just knocks the lead role out of the park.

Tomatometer: 93%

Random critic comment: “Though the film is full of allusions to the Disney canon, they are generally unobtrusive echoes rather than eager satires. This is a children's movie at which adults are also welcome, not a cartoon for grownups.” — Christopher Orr, The New Republic

Random RTM comment: “My favorite Amy Adams performance, probably in my top 50 all time favorite films. just outstanding.” — Kalo

• Like 11

Just now, TelemAAchos said:

Hide contents

14. Enchanted

starring Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey, James Marsden

written by Bill Kelly

directed by Kevin Lima

IMDB synopsis: A young maiden in a land called Andalasia, who is prepared to be wed, is sent away to New York City by an evil queen, where she falls in love with a lawyer.

Like most movies, ENCHANTED had an interesting route to release. Screenwriter Bill Kelly’s script was originally bought by Touchstone Pictures back in 1997… The Powers That Be felt it was unsuitable for Walt Disney Pictures since (at the time) it was a racier movie. The script was re-written multiple times, and at one point Rob Marshall was scheduled to direct. He backed out due to classic “creative differences” and Jon Turteltaub stepped in. The script got re-written again but stalled out again. Finally Kevin Lima was brought on to direct and the original screenwriter, Kelly, was brought back to do another re-write, this time combining the main plot with the idea of a loving homage to Disney. Dick Cook, the CEO of Disney, finally gave it the green light.

ENCHANTED is actually the first live-action/traditional animation hybrid since WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT (for Disney, at least). The movie was a surprise hit for Disney, and ended up grossing well over 100m domestically and over 300m worldwide. For most viewers, it was their first introduction to Amy Adams, and she just knocks the lead role out of the park.

Tomatometer: 93%

Random critic comment: “Though the film is full of allusions to the Disney canon, they are generally unobtrusive echoes rather than eager satires. This is a children's movie at which adults are also welcome, not a cartoon for grownups.” — Christopher Orr, The New Republic

Random RTM comment: “My favorite Amy Adams performance, probably in my top 50 all time favorite films. just outstanding.” — Kalo

@Ethan Hunt  lets out a sigh of relief

• Like 1

13. Superbad
starring Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse
written by Seth Rogan & Evan Goldberg
directed by Greg Mottola

IMDB synopsis: Two co-dependent high school seniors are forced to deal with separation anxiety after their plan to stage a booze-soaked party goes awry.

Rogan and Goldberg based their script loosely on their own experiences growing up in Vancouver in the late 1990s. Rogan also originally planned on playing his character as well, but by the time the movie went into production he was too old and they cast Jonah Hill instead. SUPERBAD was one of the big comedy hits of the summer and became another example of “raunchy comedies with a heart”.

Of note: Mintz-Plasse was only 17 (and thus technically underage) and so his mother had to be present on-set for all his scenes, including his sex scene. Awkward.

Tomatometer: 88%

Random critic comment: “It's Michael Cera (heretofore best known as Jason Bateman's son on Arrested Development) whose comic timing quietly steals the show.” — Dana Stevens, Slate

Random RTM comment: “One of my favorite comedies, because it actually has a good script with three-dimensional and really funny characters and quotable one liners.” — Jack Nevada

• Like 14

52 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

Hide contents

15. Michael Clayton

starring George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton
written and directed by Tony Gilroy

IMDB synopsis: A law firm brings in its "fixer" to remedy the situation after a lawyer has a breakdown while representing a chemical company that he knows is guilty in a multibillion-dollar class action suit.

MICHAEL CLAYTON was a modest production, but buzz about it grew the moment it premiered at the Venice Film Festival, and while it was not a huge commercial hit, it got quite a bit of award praise during the winter season, and ultimately ended up with seven Oscar nominations. Clooney, Wilkinson, and Swinton all received excellent critical praise, as did Gilroy’s taut, bleak script and no-nonsense direction.

Tomatometer: 90%

Random critic comment: “It is just about perfect as an exercise in the genre. I've seen it twice, and the second time, knowing everything that would happen, I found it just as fascinating because of how well it was all shown happening.” — Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Random RTM comment: “This movie in addition to being well paced, directed and having great performances is something you don't see these days in Hollywood a smart movie made for adults.” — DAR

Back when I regularly used the RTM thread

• Like 1

A tie!

And they're both animated!

11. Persepolis
starring Chiara Mastroianni, Danielle Darrieux, Catherine Deneuve
written by Vincent Paronnaud, based on the comic by Marjane Satrapi
directed by Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi

IMDB synopsis: A precocious and outspoken Iranian girl grows up during the Islamic Revolution.

PERSEPOLIS is a small, autobiographical coming-of-age story set in Iran during the Iranian Revolution. Stylistically, the movie keeps the stark, simple, black-and-white look of the graphic novels, although present-day scenes are in color to separate them from the earlier parts of the story. A team of twenty animators worked on the project and worked closely with Satrapi to develop a graphic style that would avoid any sort of “high-tech technique”. The film was able to get completed within the budget of 6m Euros. The final product received massive acclaim and debuted at the Cannes Film Festival, and it earned many awards and nominations through its theatrical run, including a Best Animated Feature Oscar nomination. Perhaps not surprisingly, the film was denounced by the Iranian government and was also initially banned in Lebanon (though the ban was later revoked).

Tomatometer: 96%

Random critic comment: “Persepolis, austere as it may look, is full of warmth and surprise, alive with humor and a fierce independence of spirit.” — A.O. Scott, New York Times

Random RTM comment: “a beautifully animated trip through a girl's perspective on modern iran. totally hipster, which can be a good and bad thing. ultimately poignant and charming.” — luna

11. The Simpsons Movie

starring Julie Kavner, Dan Castellaneta, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith

written by James L. Brooks & Matt Groening & Al Jean & Ian Maxtone-Graham & George Meyer & David Mirkin & Mike Reiss
& Mike Scully & Matt Selman & John Schwartzwelder

directed by David Silverman

IMDB synopsis: After Homer accidentally pollutes the town's water supply, Springfield is encased in a gigantic dome by the EPA and the Simpson family are declared fugitives.

The staff of the popular series had considered doing a movie since early in the show’s run. However, they always imagined doing it when the show was finished… and then it got really popular and started running forever. Despite this, the writers continued to try to come up with movie ideas, but they had trouble finding a story that would be big and appropriate enough for a movie, and they also had difficulty finding time to actually do it, because the crew was already working full-time on the series. In 2001 a deal was made with the voice talent and the producers began bringing on additional writers and animators so they could work on both projects at the same time. 

In 2003 the producing team assembled the best of the writing staff (including many from the early seasons of the show) and they began hammering out a story. Animation began in 2006 and the movie came out the following year. Predictably, it opened to a giant 74m weekend, and went on to gross over 180m domestically and over 500m worldwide.

Tomatometer: 88%

Random critic comment: “The incomparable gang at full length for the first time, with enough jokes, satire, nonsense, and sentiment to justify the eighty-eight minutes.” — David Denby, New Yorker

Random RTM comment: “Simpsons at their best, this was a funny film with a clear moral.” — CaptainJackSparrow

• Like 12