Dementeleus

BOT: The Revisiting! The Top 25 of 2007 -- It's done! Best Film of 2007 has been revealed!

Its a terrific movie with an amazing ending that had Stephen King remarking " I wish that was the ending I had fought up when I wrote the story."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

Its a terrific movie with an amazing ending that had Stephen King remarking " I wish that was the ending I had fought up when I wrote the story."

Well, my opinions on Stephen King aside, he has a clear history of poor endings, so his faith in the Mist's means little to me. The ending has too many logical flaws that have to be ignored just for its "tragic" outcome. 

Also find little faith in King's assessments in adaptations of his material when I read his comments on The Shining.

15 hours ago, baumer said:

I have not seen sunshine but I've heard good things about it and I am definitely adding it to my list. Into the wild in my opinion was one of the three best films of 2007 and the only reason it's not higher, again in my opinion, is that a lot of people haven't seen it.

You really should Baumer! Sunshine is such an amazing movie!

13 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

19. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Gary Oldman, David Thewlis, Imelda Staunton

written by Michael Goldenberg, from the novel by J.K. Rowling

directed by David Yates

IMDB synopsis: With their warning about Lord Voldemort's return scoffed at, Harry and Dumbledore are targeted by the Wizard authorities as an authoritarian bureaucrat slowly seizes power at Hogwarts.

The fifth entry in the HP saga, this was the first directed by David Yates, a TV director who became the mainstay for the rest of the series. Several directors with unique styles all turned down offers to direct — Jeunet, del Toro, and Matthew Vaughn among them — and it’s interesting to imagine what they would’ve done with the project (not to mention what direction the series would’ve gone overall). As to Yates’ version, it by-and-large pleased fans, though my impression is that it’s a bit lost in the overall middle tangle of the story.

Tomatometer: 78%

Random critic comment: “The darkest and most menacing by far of the five [films, [Phoenix] is also the only series entry outside of the third that feels like the product of a vivid cinematic imagination and not just a slavishly faithful transposition.” — Scott Foundas, LA Weekly

Random RTM comment: “Umbridge is sensational, and the possession scene is really emotional. I have some problems with it, but I like it a lot.” — Noctis

Yeeeeeey!!!

13 hours ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

How the hell is this so low?!!

And wtf at people not liking The Mist. It probably has one of the best endings of all time. If that doesn't affect you even a little, then you must be stone cold.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

I'm not a fan of THE MIST. :) 

(Using Vincent Gambini voice) well theres a fuckin surprise.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TelemAAchos said:

Hide contents

15. Michael Clayton

starring George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton
written and directed by Tony Gilroy

IMDB synopsis: A law firm brings in its "fixer" to remedy the situation after a lawyer has a breakdown while representing a chemical company that he knows is guilty in a multibillion-dollar class action suit.

MICHAEL CLAYTON was a modest production, but buzz about it grew the moment it premiered at the Venice Film Festival, and while it was not a huge commercial hit, it got quite a bit of award praise during the winter season, and ultimately ended up with seven Oscar nominations. Clooney, Wilkinson, and Swinton all received excellent critical praise, as did Gilroy’s taut, bleak script and no-nonsense direction.

Tomatometer: 90%

Random critic comment: “It is just about perfect as an exercise in the genre. I've seen it twice, and the second time, knowing everything that would happen, I found it just as fascinating because of how well it was all shown happening.” — Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Random RTM comment: “This movie in addition to being well paced, directed and having great performances is something you don't see these days in Hollywood a smart movie made for adults.” — DAR

I don't know what people see in this one. During my watching spree before making this list this was the only film that I considered too bad to include on the list, forcing me to watch another film to complete the 25 (Persepolis, which was very good, so it turned out OK in the end). It starts by spoiling the ending in the movie itself (I hate when movies do that) never really shows you what Michael is supposed to be doing for the company, Has a generic side story about money that never goes anywhere, and this amazing revelation for a veteran lawyer that sometimes you represent bad people. The worst movie I have seen from 2007 other than Transformers, and a travesty that this made it over Eastern Promises.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I am shocked that one of the worst Potters made it that high on the list btw.... and that comes from a person who in general likes the films but OOTP shouldn't be anywhere near a top 25.

Every single Potter is good enough for the top25 of its year.

imho

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Sad Pirates 3 missed the list, while understanding why it did.

Because it's a crap movie. :D

29 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I am shocked that one of the worst Potters made it that high on the list btw.... and that comes from a person who in general likes the films but OOTP shouldn't be anywhere near a top 25.

I agree. It's a close battle between 5 and 6 for the "title". 3 is the best.

Spoiler

10. 3:10 to Yuma

starring Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Ben Foster, Logan Lerman
written by Halsted Welles and Michael Brandt & Derek Haas, based on the short story by Elmore Leonard

directed by James Mangold

IMDB synopsis: A small-time rancher agrees to hold a captured outlaw who's awaiting a train to go to court in Yuma. A battle of wills ensues as the outlaw tries to psych out the rancher.

A tough, gritty remake of the 1957 Glenn Ford western (and the Elmore Leonard short story), 3:10 TO YUMA has an A-list cast working at their best. The project first came together at Columbia Pictures, with Mangold on board. Tom Cruise expressed interest in playing the villain, and Eric Bana was also briefly interested as well. Then in 2006 the project went into turnaround, and got picked up by Relativity Media. Crowe and Bale were cast, and Lionsgate signed on as the distributor.

The movie was originally scheduled for an October release (with a plan to premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival), but there were multiple other westerns on the fall slate that were seen as competition not only at the box-office, but also for awards season (namely THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN). So Lionsgate moved up the release date by a month, bypassing TIFF so they could be the first western out of the gate. A benefit of this tactic was also that the movie would hit DVD in the middle of award season.

The movie was a critical hit but only a modest success at the box-office, and it wasn’t a major factor for the Oscars either, though it did receive two technical nominations.

Tomatometer: 89%

Random critic comment: “It's a wonderful surprise to discover that this new version, starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale and directed by James Mangold, not only remains true to its roots but expands on them in ways that are thrilling and thoroughly entertaining.” — Christy Lemire, Associated Press

Random RTM comment: “A good western, very intense in some scenes and dark in tone. Russell Crowe stole the film, Christian Bale with a very subtle (or pale) performance. They tried for a realistic, gritty atmosphere and mostly succeeded.” — IndustriousAngel

• Like 10