Dementeleus

BOT: The Revisiting! The Top 25 of 2007 -- It's done! Best Film of 2007 has been revealed!

19 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Now it's my turn to shrug... DDL is great in the film but 1 great performance doesn't make a film worthy of best of the year.... (IMO)

Agreed.   To use a sports analogy it's like a player having an MVP type year and carrying the rest of his team as far as it can go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

ratatouille is one of pixar's worst movies. just throwing that out there while i settle in for the top 3.

I have it as the second best Pixar movie after Wall-E.

2. Ratatouille
starring Patton Oswalt, Ian Holm
written by Brad Bird, original story by Jan Pinkava & Jim Capobianco & Brad Bird
directed by Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava

IMDB synopsis: A rat who can cook makes an unusual alliance with a young kitchen worker at a famous restaurant.

Pixar is infamous for their determination not to proceed with a project unless it satisfies their entire creative team. The concept for RATATOUILLE was created by Jan Pinkava, who also designed the initial sets and characters. But Pixar wasn’t happy with the story development, so he was replaced by Brad Bird, who adjusted the story by killing off Gusteau and giving larger roles to Skinner and Colette. The delay in developing the story pushed the movie from its original release date of 2006 to 2007.

Renowned chef Thomas Keller allowed Pixar’s artists to attend his famous kitchen in Northern California, “French Laundry”, and he also created the fancy, layered version of the title dish (though Keller ultimately gave it the name confit byaldi to honor the original Turkish dish it was originally derived from.

RATATOUILLE was released in June 2007 and — like all Pixar movies up to that point — was an instant critical and box-office success. It was nominated for five Oscars and won for Best Animated Movie (beating out, among others, PERSEPOLIS).

Tomatometer: 96%

Random critic comment: “Ratatouille is a veritable feast for the eye and the ear. Don't miss it.” — Andrew Sarris, New York Observer

Random RTM comment: “The best Pixar film for me. Simply brilliant.” — kayumanggi

• Like 17

Which means the winner -- by a significant margin, I might add -- is...

1. No Country for Old Men
starring Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson
written and directed by the Coen Brothers, based on the novel by Cormac McCarthy

IMDB synopsis: Violence and mayhem ensue after a hunter stumbles upon a drug deal gone wrong and more than two million dollars in cash near the Rio Grande.

Scott Rudin acquired the rights to McCarthy’s novel and approached the Coens to adapt it. At the time, they were trying to adapt TO THE WHITE SEA, but when that fell apart, the Coens agreed to write and direct. They loved how the story provided a sense of place but also how it played with genre conventions. They ended up staying quite faithful to the original novel (unusual for them).

The movie opened in competition at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival and then opened in limited release several months later, in November. It ended up in a modest but strong box-office run, grossing 74m domestically. It was extremely well-received critically, and eventually garnered eight Academy Award nominations, winning four of them (including Best Picture and Best Director).

Tomatometer: 93%

Random critic comment: “A scorching blast of tense genre filmmaking shot through with rich veins of melancholy, down-home philosophy and dark, dark humor.” — Todd McCarthy, Variety

Random RTM comment: “Great movie but in the end so soul crushingly depressingly nihilistic I never want to watch it again.” — TalismanRing

• Like 15

The official top 25 list:

Movie Points
1 No Country for Old Men 635
2 Ratatouille 533.5
3 There Will Be Blood 517
4 The Bourne Ultimatum 457.5
5 Zodiac 403.5
6 Hot Fuzz 334.5
7 The Assassination of Jesse James... 262
8 Gone Baby Gone 258
9 Juno 239
10 3:10 to Yuma 224.5
11 Persepolis 193
12 The Simpson's Movie 193
13 Superbad 186.5
14 Enchanted 184.5
15 Michael Clayton 167.5
16 Atonement 159.5
17 Transformers 149
18 Knocked Up 137.5
19 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 136
20 Stardust 132
21 American Gangster 130
22 300 122.5
23 Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet St 122.5
24 Into the Wild 120
25 Sunshine 119
  • Like 9

True story: I flipped the fuck out over the last 30 minutes the first time I saw No Country for Old Men. :lol: (In my defense, I was in high school and that day had been epically shitty for stupid reasons I no longer remember.) On a repeat viewing, however, I came all the way around and joined in with the chorus of hosanas.

I'm pleasantly surprised with how solid this list ended up being. I definitely expected Transformers to land much higher (though, to be fair, I do enjoy the hell out of it). Considering that No Country only cracked fourth on my final top ten for that year (behind There Will Be Blood, Zodiac, and Ratatouille), it nearly goes without saying that 2007 was the best year of its decade.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2

I would say that I'm disappointed to see Into the Wild so low, but after teaching the book to my impressionable college-bound charges, I now find myself agreeing with every single adult who tries to tell Chris to JUST CALL HIS DAMN PARENTS AND NOT GO TO ALASKA ALONE!

• Like 2