FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

7 minutes ago, catlover said:

Well, most OS markets. PR is a huge hit here in my country. I don't know the numbers, but a lot of sold out shows throughout the weekend, even on Sunday night. It's even playing on multiple screens at some theaters. Pretty busy weekend, with Beauty and the Beast still killing it in its 2nd weekend, and Power Rangers breaking out.

Which country is that?

6 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Of course, no two weekends are ever directly comparable for various reasons. 

The landscape is different in the summer when weekdays are much larger. It's not surprising to me that Jurassic World is $85 million ahead of Beauty, given Jurassic World opened over $33 million higher on its opening weekend, and held very well on it's second weekend (which is over $18 million higher than Beauty). Jurassic World had terrific weekday numbers, and was at the time the highest opening weekend of all time (until later that year when The Force Awakens opened). I found, and still find, Jurassic World's box office performance to be incredibly impressive, and I was giddily following it's performance two summers ago. So, I hope you don't take my write up to be me trying to minimize the performance of other huge films, only to put Beauty's drop into some context, and I find it interesting to look back at all of the big openers.

It's also not inevitable that non-summer films will hold better, and that's evident looking at the large drops of Batman v Superman and the final Harry Potter, for example. Of course, heavily fan-driven films like most comic book movies are usually going to play very differently (re: more frontloaded), but there are exceptions, as can be seen with The Avengers, which only dropped a pretty remarkable 50% given it was the largest opening weekend at the time ($207.4 million opening) and by a huge margin. I wonder if people remember that at the time, the previous highest opening weekend was the final Harry Potter instalment, with a $169.1 million opening weekend, and thus The Avengers stomped on the previous record.

The Dark Knight is another example: it also had the highest opening weekend at the time (in 2008) with a huge $158.4 million weekend, and only dropped 52.5% in the heat of the summer in July, and when on to have a 3.36 multiplier.

Peace,

Mike

The TDK drop was impressive because it made $80m in weekday gross. Forget the weather outside. That is a lot of dollar demand burned off before the second weekend. BATB made $57m in weekday gross by comparison. The Avengers made $63m in weekday gross. Different release dates lead to different ways in which the movies pile up their money. Can't just look at the weekend numbers. 

Edited by redfirebird2008

Nice sub-45 Logan drop, although PR wasn't much of a threat. Right now I'm seeing 220-225 for it, which sadly won't be enough for beating The Last Stand. I always begrudged the fact that the worst X-Men film is the top grossing one (no, I don't think Deadpool counts as an X-Men film since there's not a single character from the main saga in it).

Edited by Celedhring

17 minutes ago, Nova said:

The only thing Life has going for it is the fact that its budget isn't huge like a typical film set in space. Just imagine if this had a budget like passengers. 

Speaking of which, no idea if Sony managed to push Passengers over 100M using Life double features. We will probably get an updated total showing 100,001,000 tomorrow morning for Passengers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The drop is impressive because it made $80m in weekday gross. Forget the weather outside. That is a lot of dollar demand burned off before the second weekend. BATB made $57m in weekday gross by comparison. The Avengers made $63m in weekday gross. Different release dates lead to different ways in which the movies pile up their money. Can't just look at the weekend numbers. 

I think we're talking around each other, as this is my point. By "heat of the summer", I didn't mean weather, I meant when summer is in full swing, that The Dark Knight was open during a prime summer month when all kids are out of school. Given that films like The Avengers and The Dark Knight (especially) opened during summer months and had excellent second weekend holds given their record-setting opening weekends and large weekday numbers, it is not inevitable that summer films will hold worse on a weekend-to-weekend basis. The Avengers and The Dark Knight are very impressive in this regard.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Momo said:

GO? What's that?

We're a big acronym site.....usually a small form of  word is a movie.  

GO

LLL

BaTB

TDK, TDKR and so on

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

Let's not kid ourselves....BaTB isn't getting anywhere near 600.

Definitely not. Even if you give it Avengers' actual dollar amount the rest of the way ($250m), it finishes at $566m. Problem is it's not matching Avengers' daily dollar gross. It's continuing to fall behind that pace. Lost $6m during Monday-Thursday and lost $15m during the weekend.

The second weekend gross was 85% of Avengers' second weekend. If that pace continues, it will make another $212m and finish at $529m. Just have to see how it goes, but that could easily be a best case scenario. Avengers had great legs so there is no guarantee BATB can keep pace. 

• Like 1

Re: Summer vs Non-Summer weekends

I've just noticed today, that the July's top opening weekend (DH's $169m) is now lower than March's (BatB's $175m). It's just crazy just how huge this month has become and goes to show that Summer isn't the be all end all time to release a movie like it used to be.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Speaking of which, no idea if Sony managed to push Passengers over 100M using Life double features. We will probably get an updated total showing 100,001,000 tomorrow morning for Passengers.

I can't believe the movie i'm rooting for is gonna help the movie i was rooting against!! FU SONY. Pass doesn't deserve it

1 minute ago, Alli said:

I can't believe the movie i'm rooting for is gonna help the movie i was rooting against!! FU SONY. Pass doesn't deserve it

Well Life made no money anyways so maybe Passengers didn't make it across like Sony hoped. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Definitely not. Even if you give it Avengers' actual dollar amount the rest of the way ($250m), it finishes at $566m. Problem is it's not matching Avengers' daily dollar gross. It's continuing to fall behind that pace. Lost $6m during Monday-Thursday and lost $15m during the weekend.

The second weekend gross was 85% of Avengers' second weekend. If that pace continues, it will make another $212m and finish at $529m. Just have to see how it goes, but that could easily be a best case scenario. Avengers had great legs so there is no guarantee BATB can keep pace. 

Hmmm, isn't that ay too high? I think it'll do $20m to $25m less than that.

Just now, Agafin said:

Hmmm, isn't that ay too high? I think it'll do $20m to $25m less than that.

Probably so. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that it can keep running at 85% of Avengers' daily revenue the rest of the way. Very possible it won't be able to keep pace. But we just have to see how it goes. Maybe it will have stronger legs than Avengers the rest of the way, in which case it will end up above TDK's $533m. 

I think the Guardians weekend is gonna be key. Disney will undoubtedly use some double features there which might give it the extra 2-3 million it needs to make a run at TDK.

Right now leaning slightly towards no however. 

Also keep in mind, TDK is at 534.8 mil (TDK trilogy showings?), which put R1 out of reach.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

When you say something is being saved by China, that implies that China's numbers were never taken into consideration when the budget for this movie was approved and that now by sheer luck, it is doing better in China that anyone thought it would.

When the opposite is true.  This movie was always going to do more business internationally than domestic and they cast a popular Chinese actress knowing that this would give it some clout in China.  Films don't get saved because of any market.  Money is money.

This, saved by China would be a good use for a movie they were not sure or expected it to not get a China release and to not necessarily work there (imagine The Revenant would not have worked elsewhere, got a bit surprising late china release and did great business there, Suicide Squad or Ghostbuster)

A co-chinesse production using Chinesse local movie star with a movie designed from scratch to work well in China is not saved by that market when it does well there more that it is saved by the US if it does well domestic at this point.

• Like 2