FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

2 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Question for those very familiar with box office performance: What is going to keep Power Rangers from performing similar to GI Joe 2? They both opened on the same weekend in March, both are based on children's franchises, both follow installments that underperformed (granted, PR's was all the way back in '97), they both fall under the similar genres, and they both pulled in $40.5M on opening weekend. And GI Joe ended up with a 3.03x multiplier. Is there any reason Power Rangers can't do the same?

GI Joe 2 was a thursday release. 1 day of burned demand before OW.

5 minutes ago, passerby said:

Woah woah? They demolished an existing screen?!

It's getting replaced as part of a W Hotel.  It will still be the biggest screen in the world but slightly smaller.  Opens 2019.

Spoiler

32258103121_1f3ce7680c_b.jpg

32000851820_83bef353f6_b.jpg

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rth and the Beast said:

Yeah and when It comes to Imax and 3D in most cases they are forcing you to 3D except where they may offer IMax 2D or Imax 3D session. With BATB for example where they are doing that Imax 2D wins and with PLF 2D is like double PLF 3D (other films can be closer between formats depends whats being offered)

Post converted 3D, in general, is just a sloppy, and not so nice to watch. Good riddance I'd say. 

1 hour ago, robertman2 said:

2D. IMAX when I go down to Virginia Beach

AMC Lynnhaven Mall?

Saw BATB there with my nieces....2D

Edited by Ocho
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, passerby said:

Count yourself in a lucky area if you only have one kind of IMAX. Here in the city, small scale IMAX screens are popping up, not nearly the size of even a premium screen back in the day. There's also a difference between analog film IMAX and digital IMAX. Analog is superior but digital is darn close. So that difference isn't much of a game changer.

What about 35mm and 70mm and other special formats? Anybody go out of their way for that? I tried to see Interstellar in 35mm but it didn't happen. But I did see The Hateful Eight in 70mm and I gotta say, it was worth it!

IMAX's 2k projectors don't look very good on the old school giant IMAX screens (originally installed with 70mm film projection). Their 4k Laser projection seems very very good from what I saw of Dunkirk's Prologue. Maybe not a true replacement yet for 70mm IMAX projection, but they are moving in the right direction. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

I notice you always call the film Days of Future Pants instead of Days of Future Past. Is that a deliberate choice or just a typo?

It stuck with me ever since I watched RLM's review of it lol