Eevin

Tuesday #s: Beauty and the Beast- $9.5M (+37%!!!)

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

It wasn't? Could have fooled me.

And only 1 of the Potter films, DH2, passed $1 Billion WW, so if BATB does that, which seems likely, its WW gross will exceed that of all but one Potter films. 

When I measure how "big" a movie is, I count how many people saw it.

In order for Beaty to be seen by more people than HP1, it would probably need 1.7b.

DH2 is actually the 4th HP movie in admissions.

30 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

When I measure how "big" a movie is, I count how many people saw it.

In order for Beaty to be seen by more people than HP1, it would probably need 1.7b.

DH2 is actually the 4th HP movie in admissions.

That also not a fair comparison, in the late 90 and early 2000 the admission numbers in Europe were a lot higher, so in those times it was a lot easier to get beter Ticket sale numbers. Now a days there are so much more ways to watch movies. The markets were admission increased in the last years do much beter with The beauty and the beast then they did for potter.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Momo said:

Wow @johnboy3434,you were so close on PR number. heh

Might as well try my hand at the rest of the week...

Wednesday: $2.22M (-37.3%)

Thursday: $2.21M (-0.740%)

REAL FIRST WEEK TOTAL: $47.5M

DOMESTIC TOTAL AFTER FIRST WEEK: $51.1M

Friday: $4.27M (+93.6%)

Saturday: $5.65M (+32.3%)

Sunday: $3.42M (-39.5%)

SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $13.3M (-63.6% real)

DOMESTIC TOTAL AFTER SECOND WEEKEND: $64.4M

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

At this point I think it's a given it'll pass both Rogue One and The Dark Knight to claim #6 on the domestic chart.

It may do it, but barely so. The post was to underscore that The Last Jedi is in a completely different level than BatB. 

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

At this point I think it's a given it'll pass both Rogue One and The Dark Knight to claim #6 on the domestic chart.

What? It's not even remotely close to being a given. What are you basing that on? It's possible but not a lock nor even highly likely. Here's how those three movies compare after 12 days:

$22.516m - $340.635m - Rogue One

*$9.473m - $335.567m - Beauty and The Beast

*$9.629m - $333.929m - The Dark Knight

R1 was still in the middle of Holidays (this particular day was post boxing day) so not really comparable for now. TDK opened $17m lower than BatB but has now reduced that gap to less than $2m over the past nine days. Its weekends have been lower but the weekdays have been markedly stronger thanks to Summer (besides Tuesdays, due to the recent boom in discount Tuesdays) which has clearly been a bigger asset than weekendsso far. 

BatB over TDK would have been a very interesting club (just like Rogue One over TDK). It's still hard to tell who shall win but TDK clearly has the advantage as of now.

1 minute ago, Agafin said:

What? It's not even remotely close to being a given. What are you basing that on? It's possible but not a lock nor even highly likely. Here's how those three movies compare after 12 days:

$22.516m - $340.635m - Rogue One

*$9.473m - $335.567m - Beauty and The Beast

*$9.629m - $333.929m - The Dark Knight

R1 was still in the middle of Holidays (this particular day was post boxing day) so not really comparable for now. TDK opened $17m lower than BatB but has now reduced that gap to less than $2m over the past nine days. Its weekends have been lower but the weekdays have been markedly stronger thanks to Summer (besides Tuesdays, due to the recent boom in discount Tuesdays) which has clearly been a bigger asset than weekendsso far. 

BatB over TDK would have been a very interesting club (just like Rogue One over TDK). It's still hard to tell who shall win but TDK clearly has the advantage as of now.

Beauty and the Beast has been performing like a family film in its holds and it's pretty much free of competition (it'll likely still be in the top 5 in early May). Theaters won't be in any rush to get rid of it.

8 minutes ago, Eevin said:

And I'm sure whoever made Beauty and the Beast will be hella pissed when it fails to top The Last Jedi.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll be crying into his stacks of money while a $5,000/hour hooker blows him.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

USA was never one of HP's best markets.

WW is the deal and Beaty will not be nearly as big as some of the most successful Harry Potter movies.

What are you smoking?  When one market (the US) accounts for a third of HP's WW gross, I'd say that would qualify it as its best market.

and when Beast crosses the $1B mark, it will have grossed more WW than all but 1 HP movie. I'd say that's pretty big.