BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

19 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Suspiria (1977)

Original Music by Goblin

268 Points

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: 73 (+8)

TIEBREAKER OVER GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL DUE TO NUMBER OF VOTES

What was a surprising inclusion on the 2015 countdown attracted even more support for this ridealong. The Italian prog rock band Goblin composed the music for this horror classic, working on much of the score before shooting on the film had even begun. The music has attracted an eclectic following over the years, even being referenced in the Nickelodeon TV show Invader Zim.

:bravo:

18 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

'Twas my ringtone for awhile. 

Mine was Suspiria (which in Swedish has the awesome title "Escape from Hell").

Also, you just can't beat this intro (starting at 1:22).

• Like 3

Spoiler

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

Original Music by Basil Poledouris

292 Points

#1 Rankings: 1

2015 Placement: 49 (-11)

Now this made me sad with the drop out of the Top 50. My personal #1 is the epic and operatic music behind Ah-nuld's first major film role. Poledouris was a friend of the director John Milius and this was his first major orchestral work for a motion picture. Work on the score started during storyboarding and was influenced by composers such as Wagner, Stravinksy, and Prokofiev via temp track. Much of the music is lush and grand, conveying a massive scope of adventure and drama. Conan the Barbarian was one of the last films released by a major studio with a mono soundtrack.

• Like 8

Spoiler

The Hunt for Red October (1990)

Original Music by Basil Poledouris

299 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

It's back-to-back Basil with our latest newcomer being the naval action/thriller based on the Tom Clancy novel. Aside from featuring Sean Connery not giving two fucks about his Scotto-Rus accent, it features some pretty thrilling music as well. The backbone of the score is the anthem-esque Hymm to Red October, which reoccurs at several points during the film to accentuate the drama. Some of the more mechanical action music you can sense as sort of a foundational blueprint for mechanized action beats in later action films.

• Like 8

Spoiler

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)

Original Music by Bernard Herrmann

311 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

Before Twilight made it totally cool for romances to be about vampires and werewolves, this film laid out an elegant romantic tale with a ghost instead. Legendary composer Bernard Herrmann (ignore the youtube thumbnail, this is Herrmann's score) lent his efforts to the music for the film. Herrmann's music ably shifts between the mysterious and slightly ethereal to the romantic and helps pace out the love story with vigor.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Basil back to back! One of my favorite scores, too bad he missed out on the top 50.

The people who didn't vote for it and the same fools who confuse Pavarotti and Paganini

• Like 1

Spoiler

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Original Music by Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman

313 Points

2015 Placement: 53 (-4)

Doing far better than a cyber thriller in China comes Michael Mann's romantic adventure in upstate New York. Michael Mann had initially asked Trevor Jones to compose an electronic score for the film, but late in production changed his mind to a more orchestral version. Due to crunch time, composer Randy Edelman was brought in to assist, composing music for several scenes to allow Jones to focus on the main beats. This resulted in dual-crediting, and ineligibility from Oscar consideration. The main theme for the movie is swift and soaring and recurs in numerous dramatic, romantic, and action beats.

• Like 9

Spoiler

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

Original Music by John Williams

313 Points

Top 5 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 58 (+2)

TIEBREAKER OVER LAST OF THE MOHICANS DUE TO TIEBREAKER POINTS

It was only a matter of time before one of these appeared, pursuant to one of the oldest and most sacred of Forum laws. The third and final Harry Potter score composed by John Williams, the music starts to take a more dark turn from its predecessors as the main characters start to grow up and truly appreciate the more nuanced and mature aspects of life showing it's not all just black and white. Williams was nominated for an Oscar for his work on the movie. It's fitting that the best Potter movie has one of, if not the best, Potter music scores.

• Like 14

Shocked and pleasantly surprised The Ghost & Mrs. Muir made it. It's one of my favorite non Hitchcock Herrmann scores along with his Harryhausen work. Just plain beautiful. 

Hunt For Red October is very good. It didn't make my list personally (I prefer Flesh & Blood among Poledouris' non Conan works), but it's great to see it on here regardless. Poledouris is one of those composers whose career has a very sad ending to it. Despite being known as a masterful film composer he was pretty much shunned by Hollywood during the last decade of his life, because his music apparently wasn't really "in style".  Still love his music, though. 

Also I quite like Last of The Mohicans, but for me The Dark Crystal is still Jones best work, especially since he didn't co-compose it, and it features more varied and colorful themes overall.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

Original Music by John Williams

313 Points

Top 5 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 58 (+2)

TIEBREAKER OVER LAST OF THE MOHICANS DUE TO TIEBREAKER POINTS

It was only a matter of time before one of these appeared, pursuant to one of the oldest and most sacred of Forum laws. The third and final Harry Potter score composed by John Williams, the music starts to take a more dark turn from its predecessors as the main characters start to grow up and truly appreciate the more nuanced and mature aspects of life showing it's not all just black and white. Williams was nominated for an Oscar for his work on the movie. It's fitting that the best Potter movie has one of, if not the best, Potter music scores.

Good, good. Keep them coming.