BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

Whoa, this list is pretty awesome so far! Really inspired choices. I loved seeing Mononoke, Escape from New York, Doctor Zhivago and Pan's Labyrinth making it in.

ESPECIALLY loved Dracula, since I bought that on Blu-Ray just last week. It's the best Coppola movie not made in the 1970's and Wojciech's score is magnificent.

• Like 2

Spoiler

The Last Airbender (2010)

Original Music by James Newton Howard

245 Points

Top 10 Placements: 1

2015 Placement: HONORABLE MENTION

For a film that is so thoroughly disliked on this forum, people still like the music in it a good bunch. This film marked the seventh collaboration between composer James Newton Howard and M. Night Shyamalan, and the score received as high critical praise as the film received critical pans. Goes to show that every film has a redeeming asset somewhere.

• Like 8

Spoiler

The Godfather Part II (1974)

Original Music by Nino Rota & Carmine Coppola

247 Points

2015 Placement: 28 (-46)

Next up is one of the most highly regarded sequels of all time. Nino Rota returned from the first film to compose the film score, with assistance from Carmine Coppola. For their efforts, the duo won Best Original Score at the Oscars. The music for the film replays several cues from the first outing, but also offers several new notable pieces, including a bombastic march for the sequence where young Vito Corleone stalks and murders Don Fanucci. This score suffered a severe drop from its 2015 placement.

• Like 9

Spoiler

The Natural (1984)

Original Music by Randy Newman

250 Points

2015 Placement: 68 (-5)

Before he got sucked into Pixar's Toy Story orbit, Randy Newman made music for live-action movies too! The music for the film has been described as Coplandesque and it certainly does evoke feelings and tones of wistful nostalgia and down-to-earth heroics. The main theme for the movie is one of the most famous of the decade and it's been constantly reused and adopted by American sports teams all over the place, as well as occasionally being referenced in more contemporary entertainment.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Hide contents

The Last Airbender (2010)

Original Music by James Newton Howard

245 Points

2015 Placement: HONORABLE MENTION

For a film that is so thoroughly disliked on this forum, people still like the music in it a good bunch. This film marked the seventh collaboration between composer James Newton Howard and M. Night Shyamalan, and the score received as high critical praise as the film received critical pans. Goes to show that every film has a redeeming asset somewhere.

Still the biggest gulf I know between the quality of the movie and that of the music. 

• Like 7

TLA has a very good score, I'm not sure it's exactly worthy of being top 100 material, but it's definitely the best thing about the film.

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Still the biggest gulf I know between the quality of the movie and that of the music. 

It's definitely one of the top I can think of. Others that come to mind for me are Jaws The Revenge (it's an amazing score to a dreadful film), and Morricone's The Exorcist II. There are plenty more examples I could probably think of, though. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

Spoiler

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

Original Music by John Williams

251 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

The most recent of the Episodes finds its way into the Top 100, to not that much surprise I am sure. Williams composed and recorded the score at a "luxurious pace" as he described it. The film reuses several old cues from the Original Trilogy when appropriate, and introduces several new themes, most notably Rey's Theme, which almost feels like something lifted from a Harry Potter movie with its tone. Even as the Star Wars spinoffs start to have new composers making new music for them, the Episodes themselves remain under the steady and creative hand of Williams, for which we're all thankful.

• Like 4

The Horde Strikes Again

Spoiler

The Dark Knight (2008)

Original Music by Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

253 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

The Nol-Zim Collective launches another surprise attack, launching the middle child of the Dark Knight Trilogy into the Top 100. It's predecessor Batman Begins, which had made the 2015 Top 100, will not be joining us this time around. The music takes many cues and themes from its older brother, but in many ways amps them up a bit as chaos and action are unleashed on the streets of Gotham. A few notable new themes work their way into the film as well, with Joker's sheer screeching guitar cue letting you know when he's about to wreak havoc on the main cast, and a brass-focused theme for Harvey Dent composed by Newton Howard to reflect the class and hope the figure represents for Gotham.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Reveal hidden contents

:kitschjob: 

• Like 4

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Wait TDK wasn't on the list the last time? How did all the Nolanites allow that to happen?

The Nolanites who voted last time went for Batman Begins instead