BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

So, about all the Nol-Zim Collective music...

Spoiler

Spider-Man 2 (2004)

Original Music by Danny Elfman

265 Points

2015 Placement: 71 (+4)

Marvel finally strikes back with a power player of their own. Returning for a second go-around with Sam Raimi, Danny Elfman expands the musical palette for the franchise with the film, reusing several major cues, such as the famous main theme, but also adding in new motifs and tones. The music for Doc Ock evokes older-school creature horror to reflect the character's tragic circumstances controlled by his own creations.

So now we have 3 from the Nol-Zim Collective vs. 1 non-MCU Marvel. Is this war only just beginning?

• Like 13

Spoiler

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Original Music by Alexandre Desplat

268 Points

2015 Placement: 75 (+9)

A recent film that did well for itself on the 2015 countdown gets a bit of the boost into the Top 2/3 this time. The film was Alexandre Desplat's third collaboration with Wes Anderson. The score derives inspiration from many Central and Eastern European folk melodies, using a balalaika to help generate a style and atmosphere for the movie distinct from what a more traditional stringed orchestra would provide. Desplat's work would win the Oscar for Original Score.

• Like 7

Some factoids for the next five

• All 5 films are pre-1980, 3 of which are pre-1960, and 2 of which are new to the countdown
  • One of the five is a horror movie
  • One of the five is an epic
  • Two are war movies and a third deals with war in its setting
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

This one I never ever saw coming until it was there to stay

Hide contents

Rocky IV (1985)

Original Music by Vince DiCola

261 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

Now this was a surprise. I mean, Rocky itself did very well on the 2015 countdown, but Rocky IV? Apparently it picked up a ton of love from those taking part this time around. Rocky IV is the only one of the 6 Rocky films to not be scored by Bill Conti, as Conti was tied up in work for other films at the time. Likewise, most of Conti's main themes for the series only make fleeting appearances in the music for this film.

:sparta:Very very nice. Rocky running up the side of a giant ass Russian mountain only to get to the peak and raise his arms in a Victorious V yell the name Drago to the blaring soundtrack by DiCola is an iconic moments in film history LOL. Yes I love the Rocky 4 soundtrack.

And I guess this doesn't really count as part of the soundtrack but when Rocky basically shoulder presses the wagon full of his friends and his chest and upper body explodes, as a 13 year old kid that one moment made me want to be mr. Universe.

• Like 1

• All 5 films are pre-1980, 3 of which are pre-1960, and 2 of which are new to the countdown

Gone with the Wind and/or Lawrence of Arabia incoming probably. One might be The Third Man but I hope it's higher. 

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Gone with the Wind and/or Lawrence of Arabia incoming probably. One might be The Third Man but I hope it's higher. 

Could be Ben-Hur, I bet the horror is Halloween. 

Edited by Kalo

I think the epic will either be Spartacus or Ben Hur. I stuffed the ballots for the latter though :ph34r:

Laura making it is a surprise. It's actually a rare true example of a monothematic score because it's one theme done in variation and variation again and again. Great music, though. 

Great to see Spirited Away of course. 

As for Rocky IV. Eh! It's fun to listen to. But it's certainly not top 100 material. Personally I think DiCola did better with that sound with Transformers: The Movie, and it was much more fitting for that film too. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

This one I never ever saw coming until it was there to stay

Hide contents

Rocky IV (1985)

Original Music by Vince DiCola

261 Points

2015 Placement: NEW

Now this was a surprise. I mean, Rocky itself did very well on the 2015 countdown, but Rocky IV? Apparently it picked up a ton of love from those taking part this time around. Rocky IV is the only one of the 6 Rocky films to not be scored by Bill Conti, as Conti was tied up in work for other films at the time. Likewise, most of Conti's main themes for the series only make fleeting appearances in the music for this film.

Good lord. 

:sick:

• Like 7