WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

did the ghost trailers even really spell out what the plot or hook was? just scarjo something something robots something future something. not very clear to my mind. "limitless but with superpowers and punching" is for sure an easier sell.

Just now, franfar said:

Don't bet against DreamWorks Animation. Their movies do big #s even if the movies suck.

I have a good feeling about Captain Underpants.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rth and the Beast said:

BB 14.3, BATB 12.6,GITS 7.4, GGPR 3.7

If Boss Baby follows Home day for day.

12.802 + 18.597 + 12.326 + 1.5 = 45.225

Beauty and the Beast

12.6 (+60%) 20.16 (-37.5%) 12.6 = 45.36

Power Rangers

3.7 (+60%) 5.92 (-31.25%) 4.07 = 13.69

Ghost in the Shell

5.6 (+33.33%) 7.466 (-32.5%)  5.04 + 1.80 = 19.906

(significant figures not accounted for)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

did the ghost trailers even really spell out what the plot or hook was? just scarjo something something robots something future something. not very clear to my mind. "limitless but with superpowers and punching" is for sure an easier sell.

Like I said in the buzz thread an hour before I saw it, I still wasn't entirely sure what it was about before going in. It's basically a police procedural with a focus on ScarJo's past.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I have a good feeling about Captain Underpants.

They have been marketing BB since forever, I have a feeling the lack of marketing will hurt CU badly, and it doesn't have a clear run either. Thinking 30/90 maybe. They seem to be doing the bare minimum by it. BB also had a good hook which the trailers sold well, CU trailer was all over the place and the animation looked pretty cheap for some reason.

Using HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2 as a comparison, I'm going to say THE BOSS BABY opens with about $52M.

Going with $47.3M for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Looks like Beauty is about to be dethroned. Thought for sure it would be #1 for 3 straight weekends.

EDIT: Completely forgot about HOME as a comparison. That's probably a much better one. Based on that, I've got $47.4M for THE BOSS BABY. If that pans out, TBB and BatB will truly be neck and neck for the weekend title.

Edited by JB33