Eric Quinn

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

BatB and BB are doing great. BatB will probably clear 1 billion WW this weekend. Crazy stuff for a musical. 

Smurfs did as I expected. PR was a one weekend wonder. Kong could very well beat it this weekend.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That hold for Zookeeper's Wife is smurfing insane, especially because it didn't add that many theaters. If it didn't expand this weekend, it probably would have dropped only 10-15%. 

It's clearly catching on with older audiences. Should be good for a $25M total at least.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's clearly catching on with older audiences. Should be good for a $25M total at least.

I think it can double its TC next weekend. F8 will only be taking up 2-3 screens at midsize theaters, and there's plenty that theaters need to get rid of. This can help Gifted as well if it isn't bombing in limited right now. It helps that Free Fire ( :sadben: ) and Phoenix Forgotten won't be going that wide the following weekend.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think it can double its TC next weekend. F8 will only be taking up 2-3 screens at midsize theaters, and there's plenty that theaters need to get rid of. This can help Gifted as well if it isn't bombing in limited right now. It helps that Free Fire ( :sadben: ) and Phoenix Forgotten won't be going that wide the following weekend.

April 21 and 28 is gonna be pretty dire. Although The Circle will probably do alright business.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

April 21 and 28 is gonna be pretty dire. Although The Circle will probably do alright business.

Unless STX changed it The Circle was only going to be in a 1000 or so theaters. 

Boss Baby and B&TB should both do a little bit better than Deadline's projections (I'd guess $28 million and $26 million). Boss Baby's on its way to $150-170 million DOM while B&TB should end up at $500-510 million DOM 

Smurfs should have been pushed back to April 21st like others suggested. Probably could have gotten a $20-25 million OW with a better release date, but next-to-no kid-friendly competition until GotG2 should help it leg its way to $45-55 million DOM. 

Going in Style and Zookeeper's Wife are more proof adults over the age of 35 aren't getting enough films that target them. 

Kong, Logan and Get Out are all having solid runs ($170 million, $230 million and $175 million) while PR is merely meh.

GitS is a major bomb - might not even do $45 million DOM. 

• Like 7

I understand the controversy but caught GitS in true IMAX 3D at Lincoln Center last night and visually it was a thing of majesty.  One of the most enjoyable sensory experiences I've had in years.  (Also thought Scar Jo was great).

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

I watched GitS a couple days ago and it shocks me! it is flopping in America but not in my country. I watched it in regular auditorium with approximately 120 seats inside of it and it was full!!! Just a front row and a few seats left. Maybe Around 105 people including me if you ask me to do a quick guess. Seems like it being received well in my country. I quite like it actually. Full of eye catching visual and action.

Spoiler

From that 105 people , around 94% of those are ghosts though :sadben:

Would be crazy to see Kong take over PR this weekend. Kong will most likely take GITS next week too. 170m slowly coming into play for Kong! I wish it would have enough gas to get to 175 so BATBs opening weekend wouldn't beat it's total DOM gross.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Would be crazy to see Kong take over PR this weekend. Kong will most likely take GITS next week too. 170m slowly coming into play for Kong! I wish it would have enough gas to get to 175 so BATBs opening weekend wouldn't beat it's total DOM gross.

I feel like with no competition in March, Kong could have reached Godzilla's number. 

Edited by Hiccup21

3 minutes ago, Hiccup21 said:

I feel like with no competition in March, Kong could have reached Godzilla's number. 

Probably, but it'll get to 550m WW it looks like, which will beat G14 at the WW bo. That's pretty great considering the crazy March competition.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Holy smokes, I've just realized how much money X3 made and back in time when there was no 3D. Amazing.

X3 had a huge opening weekend for the time, and then it basically crashed. Its where the idea of the X-Men film series being frontloaded came from, and it really hurt the series box office going forward. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2