Eric S'ennui

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

If Friday the 13th could open to $40 million and close with $65 million in 2009, I'm certain the day will come when we see a movie open over $50 million and close under $100 million.

It depends on if the film has so terrible reception or is very, very, very frontloaded.

8 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

According to Box Office Mojo, Ghost in the Shell is currently sitting on $124,373,450 worldwide. However, China and Japan aren't listed among the foreign countries that have released their box office data. So, what do you guys think? 

DHD says its OS is 93M including 21M from China and 3M+ from Japan.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/beauty-and-the-beast-ghost-in-the-shell-boss-baby-kong-china-international-box-office-weekend-1202066154/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I'm not sure if there will be a movie that open around $50-60M and misses $100M DOM. Paranormal Activity 3 came close, but that film still made over $104M.

I will never forget Watchmen opening to 55M and just barely cracking 100M DOM with a final gross of 107M. A hyped/awaited film that is actually horsesh*t quality-wise could open to 60M and fail to crack 100M i think.

Spoiler

Side note, i actually like Watchmen. Its Snyders only good film imo

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

124 million probably include those market, Mojo are slower in updating individual country result than the total.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/beauty-and-the-beast-ghost-in-the-shell-boss-baby-kong-china-international-box-office-weekend-1202066154/

Thanks to a weekend largely led by China, Paramount/DreamWorks/Reliance’s Ghost In The Shell emerged as the No. 1 film overseas this frame. In the Middle Kingdom, the Scarlett Johansson-starrer earned $21.4M — higher than the actress’ 2014 actioner Lucy which bowed to $20M there.

In the Japanese launch, Ghost came in with $3.2M. While the film has been decently received there, and the market is slow burn, neither it nor China are expected to fully bail Ghost out.

The international cume is now $92.8M and some industry estimates see it landing between $150M and $175M at the end of the day. 

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The estimate includes the entire w/e which means China & Japan's opening weekends are included. 

I'm rooting for this movie, because I'm a huge fan of Ghost in the Shell and enjoyed the movie.

Why is it that when I type "G i t S" with no spaces, the term "Whitewashed Smurfette" replaces it? WTF?

Edited by BluRayHiDef

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I will never forget Watchmen opening to 55M and just barely cracking 100M DOM with a final gross of 107M. A hyped/awaited film that is actually horsesh*t quality-wise could open to 60M and fail to crack 100M i think.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, true. But that's a big "IF". If that film has that shitty reception...it could maybe happen.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Reveal hidden contents

It has some brilliant bits, but it doesnt really hang together, imo. And it has the worst version of Hallelujah known to man.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Hide contents

Of movies opening over $50m (about 200 movies) Watchmen had the worst multiplier and Snyder has two of the worst top 4 (all under 2x).  Quite the feat.

I only saw the extended edition and felt while the movie had some stellar scenes it was wildly uneven, bloated and dragged.  The supporting characters were immeasurably more watchable & entertaining (and better acted) than the main duo (especially Ackerman who was horrendous)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Looks like Life is set to be a flop

Yeah, it joins PR on the flop train. PR will be lucky if it hits 150-170 World Wide. Would add Ghost in the Shell,but it's actually making money OS.

Edited by Momo

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So you're saying there's a $100m Netflix deal in their future where their movies will be wildly popular?

Has Netflix released viewing figures for Sandler's movie? Not that I much care how well his dogshit western comedy did either way, just thought they were pretty tight-lipped about that stuff.

26 minutes ago, Wrath said:

It has some brilliant bits, but it doesnt really hang together, imo. And it has the worst version of Hallelujah known to man.

The original Leonard Cohen version?

Edited by cannastop

28 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Hide contents

That, 300, Dawn of The Dead, and Legends of The Guardians (owl movie) are his only good films.

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Has Netflix released viewing figures for Sandler's movie? Not that I much care how well his dogshit western comedy did either way, just thought they were pretty tight-lipped about that stuff.

There was a report that it was one of their most watched films.  So much so they extended their deal with him for four more. :sick:

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

That high end might be hard, even if it is even more comedic & family audience friendly than the usual MCU.  The biggest multiplier for an MCU sequel was TWS with 2.73

Yes, it will need to do north of 145 to keep 400 realistic considering sequelitis. 145 ow needs a 2.75x for 400.