Eric the IF

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

:thinking:  So you're saying it's not all over for Scarlett and come 2026 or so she'll be hire-able again.

After she plays Jaden Smith's love interest in a Peter Berg movie

• Like 1

Scarlett will be fine and will bounce back in no time. After all, Emma Stone went from being an Oscar nominee in 2014 to being a punchline in 2015 (for playing an Asian) to an Oscar winner in 2016. Some days you're up, some days, you're down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Scarlett will be fine and will bounce back in no time. After all, Emma Stone went from being an Oscar nominee in 2014 to being a punchline in 2015 (for playing an Asian) to an Oscar winner in 2016. Some days you're up, some days, you're down.

Undeservedly 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Some days you're down, other days the Academy wanna fuck you. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tele Came Back said:

Some days you're down, other days the Academy wanna smurf you. 

It can go either way

The Academy can love you tender and undeservedly, or not give you a deserved Oscar (cough Saving Private Ryan)

• Like 2

Just now, grim22 said:

Why can I see the posts by mods as the actual word instead of smurf?

It's not just you, it's happening to me too. Time for Tele to stop abusing his power or else that Blackhat thread will have to be bumped again.

ScarJo's career path is pretty different from Theron's. Prior to Aeon Flux, Theron mostly did independent and awards bait films. Afterwards she... mostly did independent and awards bait films. In a five year spread before and after AF's release, she had two films that grossed more than $40m: Hancock (Will Smith vehicle) and The Italian Job (ensemble?) She kept doing what she'd done before, which had already garnered her an Oscar.

ScarJo probably could have had an awards-y career. From Ghost World and Lost in Translation, it seemed like that was a possible path, but she seems to have swerved away from that especially in the past five or so years. What she's done recently has been Cheap TV Smurf, voice overs, and appearing in supporting roles in modest comedies. She'll probably be able to do those three things pretty easily for the forseeable future, but if the solo choices were "awards" or "action" she seems to have missed on both.

Old system: Smurfs $21.6M opening at my theatre. Going in Style $26.2M opening here.

New system (which I still haven't quite figured out when to use and when the old system works better): Smurfs $16.1M opening here. Going in Style $16.0M, but looking at this I have to update this system cause I realized that despite GIS selling way more tickets, I take theatre counts into consideration here which is why it ended up lower. Even taking 3D into account, it made more money here than Smurfs, so I think I'll stick to the old system for this one.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

It had huge family appeal which is why it will make around $490m Dom and $1.2b+ Foreign Accent Smurfette.   That's more than twice as much domestic as Maleficent.  It's almost 2 and half times as much as Cinderella and almost 50% more than Alice In Wonderland.  Being more front loaded is just part and parcel of having such an enormous opening weekend.  It did not open around Christmas or have the benefit of summer days.

I didn't say that it has no family appeal, just that said appeal was overrated. The thing is, BatB was just as much a family movie as it was a Young adult movie but most seemed to just gloss over the latter. Which is why some thought it would definitely top TDK or have $100m+ second weekend. Cause if it really was a family movie, it would've achieved those.

It needed a higher opening weekend to get a $100 million second and it almost did that anyways. BatB is clearly a fam movie and it can't be compared to TDK since the opening months aren't  comparable. For a live action musical it has performed spectacularly.

Edited by Harley