kayumanggi

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY II | 473.9 M overseas ● 863.8 M worldwide

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Iron man is MCU's billion dollar golden boy. MCU is yet to make a movie that passes the mark without him. 

Well, Iron Man and Iron Man 2 didn't come close to a billion, but obviously every movie featuring him since Avengers has.

Edited by miketheavenger

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Iron man is MCU's billion dollar golden boy. MCU is yet to make a movie that passes the mark without him. 

The film just isn't preforming overseas as it should be I think some people need to accept it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

The film just isn't preforming overseas as it should be I think some people need to accept it.

I accepted it which is why I'm saying that no IM = no 1b. I'm not blaming ER like some other people cause bad ER didn't stop F8 and BatB from passing the mark with flying colors. GOTG is simply not connecting with OS like those movies and that's that. It's still a big hit. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Well, Iron Man and Iron Man 2 didn't come close to a billion, but obviously every movie featuring him since Avengers has.

He meant that no MCU movie without IM has crossed a billion. He isn't saying that every movie featuring him has crossed a billion.

48 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I accepted it which is why I'm saying that no IM = no 1b. I'm not blaming ER like some other people cause bad ER didn't stop F8 and BatB from passing the mark with flying colors. GOTG is simply not connecting with OS like those movies and that's that. It's still a big hit. 

Agreed,I really thought it would be big overseas in today's markets overseas.

Only if this film connected to foreign audiences better my Billion dollar prediction would have come true.

Its still a monster in the domestic market at least.

Maybe Vol.3 can push for 450mil+ domestic and that way even Exchange rates won't stop it from getting there.

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

He meant that no MCU movie without IM has crossed a billion. He isn't saying that every movie featuring him has crossed a billion.

yes, this. 

@Brainiac5 Agreed. Some franchises take a bit longer to catch on OS. X men, for example, was one of them. F&F has obviously made unprecedented leap. Etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes, this. 

@Brainiac5 Agreed. Some franchises take a bit longer to catch on OS. X men, for example, was one of them. F&F has obviously made unprecedented leap. Etc.

The film actually increased overseas it just wasn't big enough to blow up to balance out those Exchange rates.

Edited by Brainiac5

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

The film actually increased overseas it just wasn't big enough to blow up to balance out those Exchange rates.

Increase by increase will get it there eventually. It's getting an Avengers exposure before GOTG 3 so that may help a little (Avengers effect isn't what it used to be after the first movie but still). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

GOTG is simply not connecting with OS like those movies and that's that. It's still a big hit. 

Yes.

And that's because GOTG Vol. 2 is such a weird movie compared to all those other franchises. It's not conventional. I can't remember a movie as weird and crazy as this one having such a big success. Even the first GOTG is way more conventional.

If we look all the biggest box offices of all time, we can see:

- Every movie that made a billion or more (or even more than $ 800 M) has a much more common, familiar plot and/or a much more conventional way to tell/show the story. 

- Most of these movies are also more grounded, with characters and places that are either on Earth or look a lot more like Earth.

- They also have a much more global cultural approach; GOTG Vol 2 is much more connected to American culture (in references, songs, style and even jokes) than all those other movies.

Plus, Space Operas (and Space Movies overall) aren't that big with  foreign audiences. Even 'Rogue One', with the 'Star Wars' brand, after the HUGE 'The Force Awakens' success and with a very good critical reception, made less money OS than 'Batman v Superman'.

I think, looking to all this history, people were expecting too much from GOTG VOL. 2; The film is a big hit, but it's not the kind of movie to make a billion.

At least not yet.

• Like 4

@SpiritComix Excellent post and you are definitely onto something. It's like they aren't sure what to make of GOTG because, as you say, it's weird for a blockbuster and too (American) culture specific. I don't think that humor is a problem cause POTC is full of slapstick and OS eats those movies up (but, as you say also, familiar setting - pirates, Caribbean, famous seafaring legends). So ti gotta be the weirdness (pop culture references, characters acting differently from traditional action heroes, etc).  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@SpiritComix Excellent post and you are definitely onto something. It's like they aren't sure what to make of GOTG because, as you say, it's weird for a blockbuster and too (American) culture specific. I don't think that humor is a problem cause POTC is full of slapstick and OS eats those movies up (but, as you say also, familiar setting - pirates, Caribbean, famous seafaring legends). So ti gotta be the weirdness (pop culture references, characters acting differently from traditional action heroes, etc).  

Thank you!

Yes! The thing is,

If they want to make EVEN MORE money in the future, they will have to change some things in this franchise. It has to be a bit less "James Gunn" (the writer/director) and a bit more common ground.

But, as a fan, I love what this franchise is right now (crazy, weird, bonkers). I think that's what makes it special and I hope they keep it that way.

It's a creative/business choice.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SpiritComix said:

Thank you!

Yes! The thing is,

If they want to make EVEN MORE money in the future, they will have to change some things in this franchise. It has to be a bit less "James Gunn" (the writer/director) and a bit more common ground.

But, as a fan, I love what this franchise is right now (crazy, weird, bonkers). I think that's what makes it special and I hope they keep it that way.

It's a creative/business choice.

I hope they keep signature James Gunn-ness because that's what makes GOTG GOTG:) And you never know when OS will get used to it and go crazy for it. They were never crazy about live action musicals and then BatB happened. 

• Like 2

Interestingly enough, in my country GotG2 will be one of the most successful CBMs ever in terms of admissions (quite a bit more than CW or IM3). One of the reasons for this might be that people here don't really perceive it as a CBM, but more like a sci-fi adventure/comedy. The again, it will wind up at about the same level as Avengers 1 and 2, so maybe it's something else.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Interestingly enough, in my country GotG2 will be one of the most successful CBMs ever in terms of admissions (quite a bit more than CW or IM3). One of the reasons for this might be that people here don't really perceive it as a CBM, but more like a sci-fi adventure/comedy. The again, it will wind up at about the same level as Avengers 1 and 2, so maybe it's something else.

We know the exchange rates are bad.

36 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

We know the exchange rates are bad.

I didn't say anything about exchange rates. I just wanted to add to the conversation that GotG2 is not doing that well overseas because of its tone/style of humour. It's a fact that it's doing better than most other CBMs in my country and I don't know the exact reason for that.

• Like 2