WrathOfHan

Glass | Jan 18, 2019 | The 22nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

8 hours ago, The Futurist said:

This looks cheap AF.

Another movie shot in Shyalaman's backyard/abandonned warehouse in Philly.

(sigh)

Never change M Night.

Shyamalan has taken a mortage on his house to make this movie. Of course it looks cheap.

Fun fact: the director has been finacing his movies himself since The Visit.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Goffe said:

Shyamalan has taken a mortage on his house to make this movie. Of course it looks cheap.

Fun fact: the director has been finacing his movies himself since The Visit.

I simply dont understand if its so hard to get funding from studios for movies then how come they come up with a crap like robin hood, mortal engines, and M.Knight is an established director I think the news he mortgaged his home for movie simply rubbish. After such a successful career as a director I dont think this can happen unless the studios are political mess

He's probably still a pariah after all of his critical failures, making it hard for studios to be interested in having him back for bigger movies. Especially when his big-budget extravaganzas like Last Airbender and After Earth flopped. Can't handle 100M movies? Then you ain't worth shit. His name is also still considered somewhat of a joke to people less involved in the movie scene. Even after The Visit came out, I had friends and family unsure about Split being good solely because of the Shyamalan name. Although Glass could change things around. It's still low-budget, but if he's able to show that he can make a good tentpole-style release, I can see a studio signing him on to a bigger project he doesn't have to self-finance.

1 hour ago, xxoo said:

I simply dont understand if its so hard to get funding from studios for movies then how come they come up with a crap like robin hood, mortal engines, and M.Knight is an established director I think the news he mortgaged his home for movie simply rubbish. After such a successful career as a director I dont think this can happen unless the studios are political mess

George Lucas didn't use studio to finance Phantom Menace, Knight is an extremely rich individual with a production company that have success and desire in the low (for Hollywood) budget genre with stars ready to do the movie for points. Not wanting studio to have stake on it does not need you cannot have them to if you wanted, specially on is small horror I bet most studio would absolutely love be more than distributor on them if he would let them.

I doubt Blum has zero stake on it, do people have source on this ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6823368/companycredits

Production Companies

Blum historically offer the possibility to the filmmaker to invest money in if they want to break is fix low budget rules, being a movie way above the usual 4-6m, could simply that have happened ? 

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

George Lucas didn't use studio to finance Phantom Menace, Knight is an extremely rich individual with a production company that have success and desire in the low (for Hollywood) budget genre with stars ready to do the movie for points. Not wanting studio to have stake on it does not need you cannot have them to if you wanted, specially on is small horror I bet most studio would absolutely love be more than distributor on them if he would let them.

I doubt Blum has zero stake on it, do people have source on this ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6823368/companycredits

Production Companies

Blum historically offer the possibility to the filmmaker to invest money in if they want to break is fix low budget rules, being a movie way above the usual 4-6m, could simply that have happened ? 

Exactly thats a diff story then

I have a hard time believing Shyamalan is financing this movie himself (and had to take a mortgage on his house? ). Especially after the success of the first one and the fact that Blumhouse doesn't seem to be the meddling type. Call my cynical but this is all just a ploy to create an "underdog" narrative for the film for when it eventually does really well and to cement his comeback

Edited by John Marston

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I d love to hear the financial details of the Sixth Sense, who won what on that movie ?

If I remember correctly that was one of the movie Willis made in exchange of blowing a previous contract with Disney, maybe he did not made has much has it would normally have on this.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Hum, that Rolling Stone interview actually said he financed Split and Glass himself as well. Not sure I'm buying it for Glass, it says in the same article that one outlet put the budget at 20 M which sounds crazy low. Unbreakable cost 70 million back in the day and imo Glass looks to have very similar production values. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/m-night-shyamalan-glass-interview-771063/

'He doubled down, self-funding his next movie, Split, as well, spending $9 million this time '

'Shyamalan tripled down for Glass, again funding it himself with his earnings from the past two movies, not to mention collateral from his property. One report has the budget at $20 million. “How stupid am I?” he says, smiling. “I’m going to Vegas and keep going, ‘I won that hand. Put it all again.’ Next hand, ‘Put it all again.’ My house right now is completely encumbered by this movie. . . . I’ll be sleeping on your couch, dude, if it doesn’t go well in January.”

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

On 12/29/2018 at 11:17 AM, CoolEric258 said:

He's probably still a pariah after all of his critical failures, making it hard for studios to be interested in having him back for bigger movies. Especially when his big-budget extravaganzas like Last Airbender and After Earth flopped. Can't handle 100M movies? Then you ain't worth shit. His name is also still considered somewhat of a joke to people less involved in the movie scene. Even after The Visit came out, I had friends and family unsure about Split being good solely because of the Shyamalan name. Although Glass could change things around. It's still low-budget, but if he's able to show that he can make a good tentpole-style release, I can see a studio signing him on to a bigger project he doesn't have to self-finance.

Studios would be wise to be weary of giving him anything that doesn't fall under the horror/thriller genre. The three times he's strayed out of that have all gone abysmally. If you look at his horror/thriller filmography, it's honestly decent if you throw out The Happening. Not all winners, but nothing really bad either (besides The Happening). And all of those have been box office hits as well (again, excluding The Happening).

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Studios would be wise to be weary of giving him anything that doesn't fall under the horror/thriller genre. The three times he's strayed out of that have all gone abysmally. If you look at his horror/thriller filmography, it's honestly decent if you throw out The Happening. Not all winners, but nothing really bad either (besides The Happening). And all of those have been box office hits as well (again, excluding The Happening).

What was the third non horror/thriller movie? I only remember Last Airbender and After Earth.