WrathOfHan

Glass | Jan 18, 2019 | The 22nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019

On 7/19/2018 at 10:43 PM, tonytr87 said:

You live in Philadelphia, you're a comic-book fan, and you've never seen Unbreakable? Get the fuck out there and find it, damnit! 

Get out? I got so many movie channels on FIOS, it's ridiculous 🤣. There it is, July 27th on Showtime networks. Press the touchscreen, record, watch 🤣

• Like 1

Looks AMAZING!! Can't wait to see these two films converge, Shyamalan is a genius. Sarah Paulson looks like she's gonna be great, the big three are seem as cool as ever, and I'm really glad they're bringing Casey back.

I'm bothered by David being in hand cuffs.  Why would he be?

Also, the trailer really has a lot of Unbreakable call backs.  

Dunne's weakness is water

Dunne's super strength

Glass' fragility

comic books

I love this trailer.

I think that David is in cuffs because he's killing bad guys based on either a vision of what they plan to do or based on what they have done but there's no proof they are behind it. Remember that he ran into a guy, saw a vision of chained girls? He seems to be a serial killer or someone planning to become one. So if David offed him before he did something, that's murder from Paulson/society POV and his ramblings about visions = lunacy. Or something. So I can see why he would be mixed up with actual bad guys Glass and 1000 McAvoys. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Jackson has played some memorable villains over the past couple of years 🤣...Kingman's tech billionaire Richmond Valentine...scared of the sight of blood and violence 🤣...he would have been the #1 villain of 2015 in fact, but had to settle for runner-up, when Tom Hardy's John Fitzgerald (Revenant) stole it.  Kong: Skull Island's Colonel Packard...but this looks like it may be one of his best villain work ever 🤣

Edited by OdinSon2k14

On 7/24/2018 at 8:57 AM, filmscholar said:

I love how M. night is playing with the idea they aren't superheros but are just crazy.  I expect another huge twist, can't wait for this.  

That's what makes Unbreakable a great movie. The fact those characters live in our mundane world and all of a sudden discover that even though they're being gifted abilities that defy human limits, they're condemned to be alone and cast off as crazy because nobody can make sense of their existence and actions that are expressions of delusion and lunacy from the outside aka the rest of the world (because the real world doesn't work like comic books). It's the sad realization that such alienated people would end up outcast and belong in an asylum when we, the audience, want to believe they're not lunatic because we want to believe in superheroes and supervillains.

SLJ's performance as Elijah/Mr Glass managed to be cruel and deeply heart crushing at the same time. That Unbreakable ending always gets me teary.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 8

Batman Returns, in a very different way, plays heavily on the notion that heroes/villains are nothing more than deranged lunatics that are outright freaks. Unbreakable grounds that idea incredibly well. I do love that in both. And, I do wish more superhero flicks did it. Darkman toys with it as well. Of course, not grounded in the least there either. Legion played with a lot. Far too much even. Hurt Season Two.

Unfortunately, seems like superhero flicks are treated with an almost off putting reverence now that fans would recoil if a director came in and said, "Hey, this __________ is a freak. A real psychologically fractured, deranged loon. But, their heart's in the right place. And, they're doing good. At least, they convinced themselves they are..."

If they come at like that, I imagine die-hard fans of the character/s will feel as if they're being labeled loons as well. Good thing for M. Night, it's his property and he owes nothing to any preexisting horde of fans. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Batman Returns, in a very different way, plays heavily on the notion that heroes/villains are nothing more than deranged lunatics that are outright freaks. Unbreakable grounds that idea incredibly well. I do love that in both. And, I do wish more superhero flicks did it. Darkman toys with it as well. Of course, not grounded in the least there either. Legion played with a lot. Far too much even. Hurt Season Two.

Unfortunately, seems like superhero flicks are treated with an almost off putting reverence now that fans would recoil if a director came in and said, "Hey, this __________ is a freak. A real psychologically fractured, deranged loon. But, their heart's in the right place. And, they're doing good. At least, they convinced themselves they are..."

If they come at like that, I imagine die-hard fans of the character/s will feel as if they're being labeled loons as well. Good thing for M. Night, it's his property and he owes nothing to any preexisting horde of fans. 

Yup, definitely one of the biggest reasons why Returns is still one of my favorite superhero films. The idea that Batman is as deluded as his villains is a recurring theme though with even Batman: The Animated Series having an entire episode with him being locked up in Arkham in the midst of his Rogues Gallery (Dreams in Darkness). Nolan and co. just teased and winked at the concept in the TDK trilogy, which to me is the biggest shortcoming of those films as a collective study of the character.

Also, just spitballing, but Paulson's character may be Glass's own take on Harley Quinn?

• Like 1

Unbreakable is a very quiet movie 🙂...Newton Howard is the composer, so I was expecting some sounds, but he had some easy work here. Most of the scenes are quiet, conversational. 

The loudest it gets is when Dunn goes to what I believe was the Amtrak/Regional Rail courtyard of 30Th Street Station here on Philly. He looks around at the commuters, and sees various visions of future crimes. Then you're surrounded by sounds. Other than that the movie is eerily quiet.

Shyamalan's twist? You knew there's a possibility there could be something sinister about Elijah Price 🤣. So the twist wasn't earth shattering. Sinister is probably the wrong word. Insane 🤣.

So now we're gonna see what Elijah's been up to, while incarcerated for 18 years 🤣.

Edited by OdinSon2k14

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

Obvious anti-plant is obvious. This shit has all the red flags of an anti-plant "review" - starts and finishes with "do not see the movie" (why do you care? it isn't your money), everything else too vague, barely anything positive to say except the most expected thing (McAvoy is committed...yeah, and grass is green), compares the movie to director's worst work to drive the point why everyone should go see the competition that week, "some actors are just not very strong performers" (say that again? SLJ, Willis, Paulson and Anya are as strong as they get so unless they are shockingly backgrounded in favor of some people that don't feature in the trailer who could those weak links be? BS).

This is pure BS. Someone is shitting their pants that Glass is gonna dominate that part of the boxoffice season and is trying to sabotage it.

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Obvious anti-plant is obvious. This shit has all the red flags of an anti-plant "review" - starts and finishes with "do not see the movie" (why do you care? it isn't your money), everything else too vague, barely anything positive to say except the most expected thing (McAvoy is committed...yeah, and grass is green), compares the movie to director's worst work to drive the point why everyone should go see the competition that week, "some actors are just not very strong performers" (say that again? SLJ, Willis, Paulson and Anya are as strong as they get so unless they are shockingly backgrounded in favor of some people that don't feature in the trailer who could those weak links be? BS).

This is pure BS. Someone is shitting their pants that Glass is gonna dominate that part of the boxoffice season and is trying to sabotage it.

I hope so. It's one of my most anticipated movies next year