Eevin

BOT's Ranking of the Top 200 Films of All Time Adjusted: THE OFFICIAL COUNTDOWN THREAD (after much delay, the full list on pg.10)

A Batman movie, and one of the best films on this list.

Spoiler

Batman Forever (1995)

"Riddle me this, riddle me that, who's afraid of the big, black bat?"

Batman_forever_ver7.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 155

Lists: 17

Average points: 39.813

Rotten Tomatoes: 40%

There are few film franchises with the same kind of box office notoriety as Batman. The original film in 1989 pioneered many innovative techniques and arguably led cinema down the path it is on today, while Batman Forever semi-introduced the concept of a successful reboot. Although it's technically canonical next to Batman and Batman Returns, it features a mostly new cast and a new director, Joel Schumacher, who took the world of Gotham City in a neon-tinged, colorful world without the same kind of scarred psychological issues that gave the Burton films such an edge. It's utterly forgettable, but the film broke the opening weekend record at the time, a reminder that the Batman franchise is one of the most iconic in modern cinema.

Spoiler

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

"All I know is, I was in love with you when you left and I'm in love with you now. Other things may have changed but that hasn't."

The_Best_Years_of_Our_Lives_film_poster.

Rank adjusted for inflation: 81

Lists: 6

Average points: 120.431

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

In what is yet another affront to pre-1970s cinema, The Best Years of Our Lives is very well-liked but also painfully underseen. The film, which centers around World War II veterans struggling to readjust to civilian life, was the first massive hit since Gone With the Wind in 1939. Coming just after the end of the war, it was naturally the perfect time of release, and it made a killing. In modern times, the film has a lessened impact, but is still regarded as a masterpiece by those who have seen it.

• Like 13

I enjoyed Batman Forever.  Kilmer might be an asshold to work with but he's a terrific actor and he was good in this one.  So was Jim carrey, Nicole and Tommy Lee.  Even fun to see Drew Barrymore in a small role.

• Like 2

Why do all of these list threads 1. not update the OP with all the films already revealed 2. use annoying ass spoiler tags for every film

Am i really expected to just go through every page clicking spoiler tags to see the current list?

9 hours ago, Travod said:

Why do all of these list threads 1. not update the OP with all the films already revealed 2. use annoying ass spoiler tags for every film

Am i really expected to just go through every page clicking spoiler tags to see the current list?

Is it really that hard to click a spoiler tag?

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Travod said:

Yes. :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Is it really that hard to click a spoiler tag?

I gotta helluva cramp in my pointing finger a few minutes ago.

I cried out so suddenly I almost choked on my mountain dew.

Overall it was a pretty traumatic experience.

• Like 6

Step 2: Films are posted without spoiler tags

Step 3: Person complains about thread pages being so big because they have to scroll past endless reviews and posters that nobody bothered to put in spoilers to ease my aching scroll finger. 

Then just rinse and repeat for ever. 

• Like 10

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:35 PM, Eevin said:

A Batman movie, and one of the best films on this list.

Hide contents

Batman Forever (1995)

"Riddle me this, riddle me that, who's afraid of the big, black bat?"

Batman_forever_ver7.jpg

Rank adjusted for inflation: 155

Lists: 17

Average points: 39.813

Rotten Tomatoes: 40%

There are few film franchises with the same kind of box office notoriety as Batman. The original film in 1989 pioneered many innovative techniques and arguably led cinema down the path it is on today, while Batman Forever semi-introduced the concept of a successful reboot. Although it's technically canonical next to Batman and Batman Returns, it features a mostly new cast and a new director, Joel Schumacher, who took the world of Gotham City in a neon-tinged, colorful world without the same kind of scarred psychological issues that gave the Burton films such an edge. It's utterly forgettable, but the film broke the opening weekend record at the time, a reminder that the Batman franchise is one of the most iconic in modern cinema.

Hide contents

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

"All I know is, I was in love with you when you left and I'm in love with you now. Other things may have changed but that hasn't."

The_Best_Years_of_Our_Lives_film_poster.

Rank adjusted for inflation: 81

Lists: 6

Average points: 120.431

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

In what is yet another affront to pre-1970s cinema, The Best Years of Our Lives is very well-liked but also painfully underseen. The film, which centers around World War II veterans struggling to readjust to civilian life, was the first massive hit since Gone With the Wind in 1939. Coming just after the end of the war, it was naturally the perfect time of release, and it made a killing. In modern times, the film has a lessened impact, but is still regarded as a masterpiece by those who have seen it.

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't mention Harold Russell in your synopsis of The Best Years of Our Lives. He wasn't an actor. He was an army instructor who lost both of his hands and had 2 hooks instead. He was nominated for an academy award for best supporting actor and everyone thought he'd lose because he wasn't an actor. So Hollywood awarded him an honorary academy award. . . and then he won the academy award for best supporting actor too.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 7

On 5/11/2017 at 6:39 AM, TalismanRing said:

The Best Years of Our Lives  is masterpiece and it's placement this low on the list is shameful. (only 6 votes)  Insult to injury it's grouped with Batman Forever  :sick:

Gotta be honest, I'm satisfied with myself for bringing it this low. :cloud9:

Edited by Goffe

Years of Our Lives has one good scene and that's it. It's the one at the beginning, the one where the soldiers tell their stories and what's waiting for them at home. From there on, the movie is either hard cheese or outdated 40s material. Women are more passive stereotypes than usual, even for that time. I hated it.

Edited by Goffe

37 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is fantastic and transcends the time it was made. 

I should hope so, much better than the worst years of our lives as least.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:44 PM, chasmmi said:

Step 2: Films are posted without spoiler tags

Step 3: Person complains about thread pages being so big because they have to scroll past endless reviews and posters that nobody bothered to put in spoilers to ease my aching scroll finger. 

Then just rinse and repeat for ever. 

I personally don't do spoiler tags for lists because I think they make my style of posting them uglier.  They can suck up about the scrolling.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2017 at 9:54 PM, baumer said:

I enjoyed Batman Forever.  Kilmer might be an asshold to work with but he's a terrific actor and he was good in this one.  So was Jim carrey, Nicole and Tommy Lee.  Even fun to see Drew Barrymore in a small role.

I think Kilmer probably is the best Bruce Wayne out of all of them.  It may fit his personality more than the others, but I think he got that part right at the very least

• Like 3

Hey all!

I've been slammed with finals for the past week, and this next week isn't looking too promising either in terms of my workload. I'll try to update this list when I can, but don't count on there being a regular schedule for a while.

Until I can find the time, here are some clues as to the next 5:

• 3 1980s films (goodie!)
  • A Dustin Hoffman vehicle
  • A disaster movie
  • 2 less-than-stellar sequels
  • Like 3