kayumanggi

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR | 1369.5 M overseas ● 2048.4 M worldwide

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Yeah, 

but Strong local for France and Japan yes, but not so much for Germany (local movie market share normally around 20%) 

What I also forgot, France and Germany count admissions not money, so that makes it harder.

In $ it at least is the Top Opening Weekend in Germany (in admissions it is Spider-Man with 1.4M compared to IW with 1M)

That is impressive.

Japan also counts admissions, which means it might be one of the only markets, if not the only market, where the films doesn't debut at #1. 

6 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Ultron opened to 16m and barely had legs. It ended up grossing 34m thats fine considering Russia is a front loaded market. Do you think AIW would open lesser than AoU? Is ER that bad? :thinking:

Well....it would be dumb if i'd say on basis of comparison with AoU :D . But has it opened lesser than ultron in any market? 

I dont think so. Overall i think AIW has overperformed everywhere. 

No idea about Russia.

Apart from Japan (in a way) I doubt that.

I never thought Germany would see a Superhero movie open with 1M adm. again (okay, we don't really know if it is above or like 999k which would be really funny, GotG2 was really high with 750k (above AoU), because it was a Comedy.

9 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Ultron opened to 16m and barely had legs. It ended up grossing 34m thats fine considering Russia is a front loaded market. Do you think AIW would open lesser than AoU? Is ER that bad? :thinking:

Well....it would be dumb if i'd say on basis of comparison with AoU :D . But has it opened lesser than ultron in any market? 

I dont think so. Overall i think AIW has overperformed everywhere. 

Nah, it's just that Russia seems weak as a market lately, no real breakthrough, a sort of stagnation maybebut I could be wrong.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Nah, it's just that Russia seems weak as a market lately, no real breakthrough, a sort of stagnation maybebut I could be wrong.

Stagnation in Russia, you say? I have just the movie to help them out of their funk...

Edited by Thanos Legion

16 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Stagnation in Russia, you say? I have just the movie to help them out of their funk...

From what I know, the Russian movie market is growing in terms of admissions, but is down in $ terms from 2014 or 2013 because of massive local currency devaluation due to oil prices and sanctions from the world's "leading democracies" 

https://pro.boxoffice.com/unic-european-cinema-industry-sees-growth-2017/  -> Russia number 1 in Europe in terms of admissions. 

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

While that's true Friday is one of the lowest weekdays in Japan so it usually doesn't burn that much demand. A few weeks ago a local franchise released annually broke its 2 day OW despite opening on a Friday for the first time in over 20 years.

And it makes even less sense to compare F-S to S-S and say it opened higher.

You mean detective conan? I guess it had to do with the movies popularity. Marvel or as a matter of fact none of the SH movies are a rage in Japan. Gone are the days when action movies did well in Japan. 

Detective Conan is a established franchisee with a wide range of demographics. This might have been a reason for its record breaking OW inspite of opening on friday. :thinking:

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

OPENING WEEKEND: INFINITY WAR vs AGE OF ULTRON

Brazil: $18.8m vs $12.6m

France: $17.7m vs $12.5m

Mexico: $25.1m vs $18.7m

India: $18.6m vs $7.7m

UK: $42.2m vs $27.4m

South Korea: $39.2m vs $23.1m

Germany: $14.7m vs $9.4m

Thailand: $10m vs $4.2m

Philippines: $12.5m vs $7.4m

ENJOY THIS!

Thank you for the data.

I want to point out that the number for AoU in SK is only for the 3-day weekend yet the number for IW in SK is for the whole OW. AoU's OW should be $27.96m.

• Like 2

With that big an opening, and Labor Day pulling in even more business for upcoming weekdays, I’m thinking 55% drop minimum for second weekend. Heck, 55% would be an incredible drop.

4 minutes ago, Marathon said:

I would love for the insanity to continue... a $200m second weekend OS. Not very likely, but if the holdover markets drop only 50%, the Russia opening would carry it over the line.

And what about a third weekend over $300m OS with China release? 1 billion OS in 17 days?

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

And what about a third weekend over $300m OS with China release? 1 billion OS in 17 days?

Which day do you think Infinity War will hit $1 billion WW? The fastest to $1 billion WW is currently The Force Awakens at 12 days.

7 minutes ago, Sam said:

With that big an opening, and Labor Day pulling in even more business for upcoming weekdays, I’m thinking 55% drop minimum for second weekend. Heck, 55% would be an incredible drop.

I agree. A 50% drop is obviously only a pipe dream, especially with the holiday now on Tuesday, but a $200m weekend OS in holdover markets (+Russia) WITHOUT China would be an absolutely breathtaking achievement. But yeah, the circumstances here (already stratospheric openings, some countries had extra-long openings, the holiday on Tuesday, etc...) are making that milestone very unlikely.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Which day do you think Infinity War will hit $1 billion WW? The fastest to $1 billion WW is currently The Force Awakens at 12 days.

During next weekend. Anyway, hard to say since there are holidays along the week in many countries. Saturday (11 days) or Sunday (12). We will know better after Tuesday holiday.

One doubt: I guess that the account of days starts on Wednesday, isn't it? So IW is already on day 5. 1 billion OS would be after 19 days instead 17, as I previously said.

18 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Day 9 at the earliest, day 10 at the latest. 

EDIT: Sorry thinking day 9 or 10 from US opening, so day 11 or 12 overseas. 

Edited by The Mad Titan