grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Thanks to Harry Styles.

Thanks to Heath Ledger and Christian Bale (in that order).

The Dark Knight is the movie of the millennium for that generation. 2008 was the formative year for so many of them, a bridge out of the insane paranoia of the early 2000s and into a brighter future. The big O, the evil Patriots blowing perfection at the last second, Usain the Fastest person ever, childhood icon gets redemption after embarrassment (Britney), the realization that baby boomers really did nearly destroy the world and we just need to find the sun in life on our own...2008. What a year for accelerated maturation of a generation.

Nolan movie taught them lessons they had yet to learn In life. He is their king. If this guy ever helms another big piece from well established source material, like a Bond or *gasp* Star Wars movie? 

Oh snap.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

FWIW I think all three openers are coming for $20M+ openings that weekend (Dunkirk should do at least $30M, Girls Trip could open to similar numbers as Bad Moms, and Valerian will probably settle for a Poseidon type of opening in the low $20M range). Add to that Apes in its second frame and Spider-Man most likely still going strong and that should be a good weekend for the marketplace.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'm still not convinced Girls Trip is hitting 20M.

What it has going for it that the other comedies don't is that it targets an audience that's been underserved (don't bother bringing up All Eyez on Me lol) all summer long with African Americans, especially African American females. Also, it actually looks funny.

• Like 1

Thanks to Deep Wang, we have an update.

Dunkirk passed Apes (single movie) but is slightly behind Apes+Apes triple feature.

SMH still running at about 45-50% of the presales of Guardians 2, no Wonder Woman comp was provided for Wednesday, but based on the WW comp which was provided for Thursday, I would say they are still running at the same pace. The WW figure provided on Thursday is about 2M more than the SMH Wednesday figure, but based on the increase from Tuesday, I think they will end at roughly the exact same number.

Girls Trip sales are actually really good. Don't have Bad Moms sales this far out to compare, but it looks like it will match or exceed Bad Moms presales by release.

• Like 11

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-preview-can-spider-man-homecoming-scale-100m-us-launch-1018778

Sony and Marvel Studios' Spider-Man: Homecoming should cast a powerful web when swinging into theaters this weekend.

If prerelease tracking is correct, the critically acclaimed reboot should fly past $100 million in North America.

Edited by Lake

Here's your most comparable post for when WW opened

On 6/1/2017 at 2:16 PM, TalismanRing said:

Fandango Meter

1. Wonder Woman

2. Wonder Woman 3D

3. Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie

4. Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales

5. Wonder Woman An IMAX 3D Experience

[5pm - WW 125, CU: 12.5 avg sales per minute.  Last week at 8:40pm- Pirates avg 90, Baywatch: 20]