grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Is it possible to separate 70MM showings from the rest?

If Valerian is even with Mummy, that's pretty damn good.

The only similar comp I was able to find is GITS. Valerian is about at 20% of where GITS was 11 days before release.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The only similar comp I was able to find is GITS. Valerian is about at 20% of where GITS was 11 days before release.

Oof. Well, Valerian tickets only went on sale Tuesday/Wednesday. Hmmmm.

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Presale updates from Deep Wang:

- Apes running ahead of Covfefe and about even with Pirates still

- Dunkirk running ahead of Apes. Ridiculous presales, higher than Pirates 2 weeks out. Wonder how frontloaded it might be. The presales are actually just a bit lower than Doctor Strange was 10 days out

- Girls Trip definitely ahead of Bad Moms

- Valerian is pretty awful so far, no comps for similar movies. I want to say it is about even with Mummy but I don't have Mummy presales 10 days out

Who is Deep Wang?

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Valerian is locked to bomb. There is no way walkups will save it. Late embargo wont help either. Will probably be rotten as well. Dunkirk will destroy it. 

I am hoping apes does well but its going to drop close to Rise OW. Total will finish below Rise. 

Early reactions from critics are semi-positive, so it's looking at a reception on par with Lucy at least.

At this point I have Dunkirk pegged for $40M, Girls Trip for $25M, and Valerian for $20M over that weekend. The interest for the latter just isn't there domestically. Better hope those international returns are pretty.

I think the ceiling, if reviews are really strong, are right around Interstellar. Interstellar had merely solid reviews, so I think some potential was lost there as a potential Oscar candidate.

Pulse for 10 minutes saw 8 tickets for Valerian, so let's extrapolate this :sparta: 

There are 1,440 minutes in a day.  Valerian sold, on average, a ticket every 1 minute and 15 seconds.  1,440 divided by 1.25 leads us to 1,152 tickets in one day.  Valerian is 11 days away from release.  1,152 multiplied by 11 is 12,672.  Assuming every ticket is about $15 with 3D ticket price inflation and all, then Valerian has practically already made $190,080!  And ticket sales are only going to speed up :sparta:

(in seriousness, Dunkirk also only sold 10 tickets in 10 minutes so Valerian is right behind it :ph34r: )

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Pulse for 10 minutes saw 8 tickets for Valerian, so let's extrapolate this :sparta: 

There are 1,440 minutes in a day.  Valerian sold, on average, a ticket every 1 minute and 15 seconds.  1,440 divided by 1.25 leads us to 1,152 tickets in one day.  Valerian is 11 days away from release.  1,152 multiplied by 11 is 12,672.  Assuming every ticket is about $15 with 3D ticket price inflation and all, then Valerian has practically already made $190,080!  And ticket sales are only going to speed up :sparta:

(in seriousness, Dunkirk also only sold 10 tickets in 10 minutes so Valerian is right behind it :ph34r: )

Saw 19 tickets for Dunkirk and 1 for Valerian in 10 minutes. Which 10 minutes are more right?)

• Like 2