grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Did anyone ever collected those comscore data ? would be nice to see how strong the correlation is with OW by genre....

For me those numbers are a bit hard to read, is an International Tomb Raider franchise video game movie below Love, Simon for the cumulative talk opening the same date for example is a really bad sign, or does the comscore is only for the US and missing the market were the game is well known and not the YA book ?

My theatre's getting Maze Runner, Darkest Hour and 3 Billboards. Gonna be a good weekend for me at least, although idk if I'll have time to see all 3 this week. Maybe Billboards will have to wait till streaming.

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

My theatre's getting Maze Runner, Darkest Hour and 3 Billboards. Gonna be a good weekend for me at least, although idk if I'll have time to see all 3 this week. Maybe Billboards will have to wait till streaming.

Most theaters around me are holding off on posting their schedules. Imagine most places are waiting until the nominations in the morning before finalizing what they're getting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

prepare for all the theater count jump!!!

and is dunkirk coming back to theater?

WB didn't give Mad Max an official re-release two years ago so in all likelihood theatrical screenings of Dunkirk will be paired up as part of the Best Picture showcase that many theaters will be doing in the week leading up to the Oscars.

Three Billboards, Shape of Water, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, and CMBYN will be the movies that see the biggest boosts from the Oscar noms. Darkest Hour will probably be the Manchester by the Sea/Fences of the group and see only a mild increase because it's already made a ton of money. The Post won't see any kind of increase because it's already a wide release and is only up for 2 nominations (and has zero chance of winning either).

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Three Billboards, Shape of Water, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, and CMBYN will be the movies that see the biggest boosts from the Oscar noms. Darkest Hour will probably be the Manchester by the Sea/Fences of the group and see only a mild increase because it's already made a ton of money. The Post won't see any kind of increase because it's already a wide release and is only up for 2 nominations (and has zero chance of winning either).

My guesses for TCs:

The Post: 3,000

The Shape of Water: 2,000

Phantom Thread: 1,500

Three Billboards: 1,100

Darkest Hour: 1,100

I, Tonya: 1,000

Lady Bird: 900

CMBYN: 900

Tonya's been having strong PTAs, so it should continue expanding over the next two weeks. Darkest Hour's TC could stay flat even if a lot of theaters reduce it to one or two shows per day.

2 minutes ago, iceni said:

I, Tonya's arguable under-performance makes me wonder if they'll risk putting it in 1500 theaters this weekend, or keep it closer to a (safer) 1000...

It'll probably be 1k this weekend and 1,500 next weekend. Neon doesn't have a lot of bargaining power, but theaters will be glad to get it next week when Winchester is the only thing releasing.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It'll probably be 1k this weekend and 1,500 next weekend. Neon doesn't have a lot of bargaining power, but theaters will be glad to get it next week when Winchester is the only thing releasing.

Depends on what they book this week. The Best Picture nominees will be higher priorities than everything else nominated.

• Like 2

I'm really curious to see if Three Billboards or Lady Bird returns to my theater this weekend. I'm expecting them to wait a week, but they could come early if their studios get the TCs high. Last year post-nominations, my theater got Arrival and Moonlight back splitting screens with Monster Trucks and Patriots Day (they still had LLL and HF while Lion waited a week because Weinstein didnt expand it).

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm really curious to see if Three Billboards or Lady Bird returns to my theater this weekend. I'm expecting them to wait a week, but they could come early if their studios get the TCs high. Last year post-nominations, my theater got Arrival and Moonlight back splitting screens with Monster Trucks and Patriots Day (they still had LLL and HF while Lion waited a week because Weinstein didnt expand it).

Some of the theaters around posting their schedules for the weekend so far have Three Billboards and The Shape of Water returning (sharing a screen).

• Like 1