grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

33 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

MT.com - WiT has already made it to #2...goal by tomorrow night/Friday morning would be to somehow top BP if it wants a shot at the weekend title:)...long way to go, though...

35.7% Black Panther

11% Wrinkle in Time, A

9.4% Red Sparrow

8% Game Night

7.7% Death Wish

I don't think it needs to top BP on MT to have a shot at winning the weekend. Again, its nature as a family film gives the potential for lots of walkups. Just like you don't see Peter Rabbit in the top 5, yet it has a very good shot to be above both Game Night and Death Wish this weekend.

Edited by MovieMan89

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think it needs to top BP on MT to have a shot at winning the weekend. Again, its nature as a family film gives the potential for lots of walkups. Just like you don't see Peter Rabbit in the top 5, yet it has a very good shot to be above both Game Night and Death Wish this weekend.

Agree, but I think it has to be very close...if there's 5pts + between the movies, Black Panther (as an older film needing fewer presales) is probably taking it.

Haven't done this in awhile, but gonna post Thursday night for my theaters for WiT...here are the current sales...

1st local (Cinemark)

4 showings (3 2d - 2 added today - and 1 3d) - 2d 49/110, 0/60, 0/60 for 49/230, 3d 0/110 for 49/340 Total 

2nd local (Regal)

2 showings (1 2d and 1 3d) - 2d 52/170, 3d 4/170 for 56/340 Total

Neither is part of the AMC "Buy a kid a ticket" program, so these are straight sales:)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yyyyyyeah, AWIT is not gonna win the weekend. BP is probably gonna hit 38-40M, WIT is probably looking at 35M max. Likely the 30-33 range of many of the previous Disney live-action fresh attempts.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Wrinkle in Time 499 1582 31.54%
Strangers 9 1672 0.54%
Tomb Raider 8 1560 0.51%

No huge boost for any of these movies but they're all still chugging along swimmingly.

Wrinkle in Time 606 1582 38.31%
Strangers 41 1672 2.45%
Tomb Raider 11 1560 0.71%

I might be able to do another update tomorrow, but in case I don't....

Comps for Wrinkle:

107% of Wonder ($29.4M)

473% of Showman's 3-Day ($41.7M)

396% of Paddington 2's 3-Day ($43.6M)

179% of Peter Rabbit ($44.7M)

Comps for Strangers:

69% of Happy Death Day ($18.1M)

53% of Insidious 4 ($15.5M)

124% of Winchester ($11.6M)

137% of Annihilation ($15.1M)

The stuff for Wrinkle sounds amazing, but the one thing I will always emphasize is that my theater is heavily skewed towards black-led movies and a good chunk of its customers are African-American, so those high presales can and should be taken with some grains of salt.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Wrinkle in Time 606 1582 38.31%
Strangers 41 1672 2.45%
Tomb Raider 11 1560 0.71%

I might be able to do another update tomorrow, but in case I don't....

Comps for Wrinkle:

107% of Wonder ($29.4M)

473% of Showman's 3-Day ($41.7M)

396% of Paddington 2's 3-Day ($43.6M)

179% of Peter Rabbit ($44.7M)

Comps for Strangers:

69% of Happy Death Day ($18.1M)

53% of Insidious 4 ($15.5M)

124% of Winchester ($11.6M)

137% of Annihilation ($15.1M)

The stuff for Wrinkle sounds amazing, but the one thing I will always emphasize is that my theater is heavily skewed towards black-led movies and a good chunk of its customers are African-American, so those high presales can and should be taken with some grains of salt.

In that case, the Wonder comparison is probably more apt given that had strong presales.

With Gringo and Hurricane Heist tracking at 3-4M, I'm going to do some stats with my theater. They are getting the 3rd and 2nd smallest auditoriums respectively, which is always a sign something will bomb here. I somewhat mentioned this recently, but here's some data on movies that debuted in my theater's four smallest screens:

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone: 1.2M

Gold: 3.5M

Rock Dog: 3.7M

Born in China: 4.8M

Friend Request: 2M 

Father Figures: 3.3M

Early Man: 3.2M

Every Day: 3M

Average: 3.1M

Average with Born in China removed: 2.8M

Average with Gavin Stone removed: 3.4M (removing both leads to the same initial average)

Honestly, I think Gringo is gonna go sub-3M. Game Night is still going to be over 6M, and chances are Jumanji will be ahead of it too. Hurricane Heist might limp over 3M, but matching Friend Request's 2M isn't off the table either :hahaha: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

With Gringo and Hurricane Heist tracking at 3-4M, I'm going to do some stats with my theater. They are getting the 3rd and 2nd smallest auditoriums respectively, which is always a sign something will bomb here. I somewhat mentioned this recently, but here's some data on movies that debuted in my theater's four smallest screens:

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone: 1.2M

Gold: 3.5M

Rock Dog: 3.7M

Born in China: 4.8M

Friend Request: 2M 

Father Figures: 3.3M

Early Man: 3.2M

Every Day: 3M

Average: 3.1M

Average with Born in China removed: 2.8M

Average with Gavin Stone removed: 3.4M (removing both leads to the same initial average)

Honestly, I think Gringo is gonna go sub-3M. Game Night is still going to be over 6M, and chances are Jumanji will be ahead of it too. Hurricane Heist might limp over 3M, but matching Friend Request's 2M isn't off the table either :hahaha: 

Hurricane Heist and Gringo are actually getting two of the larger auditoriums at my theater. Strangers and Thoroughbreds are being relegated to among the smallest ones; it would be nice if the latter didn't completely flop.

7 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Hopefully like Greatest Showman and Peter Rabbit, family audiences will still flock to see Wrinkle in Time!! Great to see presages strong!

It does seem family films are relatively immune to the effects of a negative RT score. Peter Rabbit is a month old now, so families are probably itching for a new film to see in theaters.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

WiT's sales are surprisingly strong :o

I'm not surprised. The book its based off is still popular, and also in continuous print, and there hasn't been a real family film in a while. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it opened with around 36m at this point. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

9 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm not surprised. The book its based off is still popular, and also in continuous print, and there hasn't been a real family film in a while. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it opened with around 36m at this point. 

Plus....Disney. Granted that brand isn't always an ATM, but usually it is.