grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I'm not surprised my theater isn't getting Overboard despite the 1,500+ TC. The Hispanic population in my area isn't even 5% of the total population, and for my town, it's under 1k.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Thursday tickets are up at my theater; looks like they're only getting Bad Samaritan :winomg: 

Not surprised, Focus has only been targeting metropolitan areas in promoting Tully.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Goddammit :( probably gonna happen here too. Considering we already don't get enough indies, this sucks

It's honestly a miracle my theater even got Phantom Thread and I, Tonya a few months ago. They bombed even harder than Isle of Dogs did and were gone after a week.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's honestly a miracle my theater even got Phantom Thread and I, Tonya a few months ago. They bombed even harder than Isle of Dogs did and were gone after a week.

Phantom Thread was definitely not a good fit for your theater but I, Tonya should have drawn some eyeballs - familiar subject matter with comedy and caper elements to go along with some Oscar buzz. It was one of the better awards movies from last year. The fur coat scene alone was worth the price of admission.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Phantom Thread was definitely not a good fit for your theater but I, Tonya should have drawn some eyeballs - familiar subject matter with comedy and caper elements to go along with some Oscar buzz. It was one of the better awards movies from last year. The fur coat scene alone was worth the price of admission.

I don't even think I, Tonya had a single show that sold over 10 tickets. I saw it at a theater not too far away a few weeks prior with about 25-30 people in the theater, so idk why that didn't translate here. Lady Bird also wasn't a strong performer here but got busier as its run went along (it only lasted for two weeks before TLJ).

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Clearly Han's neighborhood is Team Nancy. :P

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2018 at 3:48 PM, WrathOfHan said:

I Can Only Imagine, Isle of Dogs, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero, and Tyler Perry's Acrimony are gone.

Reveal hidden contents

Blockers and Traffik are gone.

WEEKEND:

Bad Samaritan: 5 (2nd Biggest and Average)

Black Panther: 3 (Return; Average and Smallest)

Avengers: Infinity War: 26 (Up 6; 13 2D/13 3D; Biggest, 2nd Biggest, Average x4, and 4th Smallest)

A Quiet Place: 6 (Flat; Average)

Rampage: 4 (Down 2 and lost 3D; Smallest)

I Feel Pretty: 4 (Down 1; 2nd Smallest)

Ready Player One: 2 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Truth or Dare: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest)

Super Troopers 2: 1 (Down 3; 2nd Smallest)

WEEKDAY:

Bad Samaritan: 4 (Average)

Black Panther: 4 (Return; Average)

Avengers: Infinity War: 12 (Down 1; 6 2D/6 3D; Biggest, 2nd Biggest, and Average x2)

A Quiet Place: 5 (Flat; Average)

I Feel Pretty: 4 (Flat; Average)

Rampage: 4 (Flat and lost 3D; 3rd Smallest)

Ready Player One: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Super Troopers 2: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Truth or Dare: 4 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

looks like they are leaving a lot of money on the table by not releasing Tulley wider.  Tulley could have made a run for #1 of the weekend.

Is Black Panther being re-released?  If so, I am guessing that at least 100 locations will still be dropping it, and then 100 locations adding it for a flat hold with the screens resulting in a 50% weekend to weekend PTA drop.

Edited by Thematrixfilm
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Thematrixfilm said:

looks like they are leaving a lot of money on the table by not releasing Tulley wider.  Tulley could have made a run for #1 of the weekend.

Is Black Panther being re-released?  If so, I am guessing that at least 100 locations will still be dropping it, and then 100 locations adding it for a flat hold with the screens resulting in a 50% weekend to weekend PTA drop.

I'm guessing Focus plans on expanding Tully next week for Mothers Day. I'm mad it's not coming to my theater :whosad: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

:rofl:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

Tulley could have made a run for #1 of the weekend.

I imagine it is so integrated that IW will be number one no matter what anyone would have done, that #1 mean by number one among the runner up ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine it is so integrated that IW will be number one no matter what anyone would have done, that #1 mean by number one among the runner up ?

#1 among films opening that weekend, is I believe the intention.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Nah, I legit think a 4000 theater had a shot at a 100m+ OW

If that happened, it would have been Tully over Infinity War's second weekend.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Tully is the second film in the past couple of months in which its studio is releasing it at the wrong time of the year. Undoubtedly Focus/Universal are banking on Mother's Day to help this film tremendously. However, that is only one day/weekend. Given the reviews for the film, it should have been released in the fall with the raves for Theron's performance and Cody's script being at the forefront of the marketing campaign. It could have played well over several weeks in the autumn/winter. As it stands now, the film will be dead come June.

With the low theater count this weekend and probably not a huge (if any) increase next weekend, Tully will probably top out around $25M for a final domestic gross. It could have made double that in the fall. I'll be seeing it this weekend as it is my most anticipated release of May. Hopefully it can find an audience amidst the blockbusters.

• Like 3

I guess it is hard to balance, there is an advantage made to be in the first of the season well reviewed movie for adult before the big competition of the Fall. (The gift did really well in august in 2015 with 43m), the Big sick reached 42m in June last year. 

A Quiet place and some other surprise could hurt it too.

If you go for the fall release and do not succeed at the award talk it can even hurt you, if you look like an award movie released during that season it can send a bad signal to not get really great reviews / award talk. It is a bit of a bet, and the competition become strong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Yes, #1 amongst everything else.  It has had the best reviews on RT for a long time.  It has a great poster.  I do not think the title helps the film (A Cinderella Man).  Tulley should have been titled.... "Single Mother Hell" or somethign

4 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Tully is the second film in the past couple of months in which its studio is releasing it at the wrong time of the year. Undoubtedly Focus/Universal are banking on Mother's Day to help this film tremendously. However, that is only one day/weekend. Given the reviews for the film, it should have been released in the fall with the raves for Theron's performance and Cody's script being at the forefront of the marketing campaign. It could have played well over several weeks in the autumn/winter. As it stands now, the film will be dead come June.

With the low theater count this weekend and probably not a huge (if any) increase next weekend, Tully will probably top out around $25M for a final domestic gross. It could have made double that in the fall. I'll be seeing it this weekend as it is my most anticipated release of May. Hopefully it can find an audience amidst the blockbusters.

I don't think it would've been a big hit anywhere tbh. It's an indie title only getting a wide release because it has some prestigious names attached, the reviews are solid but not award-worthy (which is what seems to make or break specialty titles these days in terms of how far they go) and as much as I love Theron, she's never been a reliable draw (even her follow-up to her Oscar glory - North Country, which also had awards buzz for her - was ignored by audiences, in addition to her previous collaboration with Reitman and Cody).

Deadpool 2 Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-16 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

17.88%

Total Shows Added Today:    3

Total Seats Added Today:  508

Total Seats Sold Today:     126

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2