grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

At Menominee Falls Cinema, Aladdin came in at roughly 3% behind Pikachu ($5.5M previews). 

North Shore, Aladdin came in at 84% ahead of Pikachu (excluding the latter's 4:00 pm showing) ($10.5M)

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

I'm curious as to when this trend started of tracking/estimating Thursday/Friday numbers based on individual theatre sales. I remember Porthos doing it for a while, but I'm really glad it has caught on because honestly when we pool our results together, given that so many of us are from very different regions of the continent, we could build up a pretty good picture of where a movie is heading. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

At Menominee Falls Cinema, Aladdin came in at roughly 3% behind Pikachu ($5.5M previews). 

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

North Shore, Aladdin came in at 84% ahead of Pikachu (excluding the latter's 4:00 pm showing) ($10.5M)

So even in the same area, Aladdin is performing differently. Every movie in May wants to be a PITA to track huh 

tenor.gif?itemid=11996306

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

So even in the same area, Aladdin is performing differently. Every movie in May wants to be a PITA to track huh 

John Wick was easy and KoTM's shaping up to be easy.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

To be fair at NSC, Aladdin had PLFs while Pikachu didn't but then again that's a mixed bag.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Aladdin like:

65bf198117da7c15dd6a0ffd7802998c.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

18 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Aladdin truly is Early Deadline Projections: The Motion Picture

Spoiler

(10.5+5.5)/2 = 8m

Just sayin. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

More North Shore comps for Aladdin:

84% ahead of Pikachu ($10.5M)

190% ahead of Dragon 3 ($8.7M)

195% ahead of Grinch ($6.5M)

The irony is all three are missing a showing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Reveal hidden contents

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

So an avg of 8 - the number which most of @Porthos's comps in Sacra-tomato point to

:rock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mulder said:

First count of today, just Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-161 (+2), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 3 Regular) Final week

Dark Phoenix-72, 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Final count of today, just Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-164 (+5), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 3 Regular) Final week

Dark Phoenix-73 (+1), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Weak day overall tbh. Would be lying if I said I didn't want more from KOTM today but ah well. I guess those 19 tickets last night were a big boost and it had to taper off today. Hoping it can pick up tomorrow. Would be nice of WB to release that embargo In total today Godzilla sold 5 tickets and Phoenix sold 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I'm curious as to when this trend started of tracking/estimating Thursday/Friday numbers based on individual theatre sales. I remember Porthos doing it for a while, but I'm really glad it has caught on because honestly when we pool our results together, given that so many of us are from very different regions of the continent, we could build up a pretty good picture of where a movie is heading. 

@WrathOfHan was one of the first early pioneers on this IMO.   In fact, I switched to a seat count system largely because of his work.

He's been busy with College Life lately, so he hasn't posted many theater counts recently.  There's others, I'm sure.  But he was one of the OGs when it came to theater tracking and I wanted to make sure some rep got sent his way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Good sign for Godzilla there.

Rocketman's estimate is hella impressive too for an R-rated musical biopic but I wonder if the number would be even higher cause you know the red states are gonna jettison it cause of the gay sex lol.

• Like 3

Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-05-23 00:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	39.685%	26975	Aladdin (2019)
2	15.468%	10514	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
3	09.136%	6210	Avengers Endgame (2019)
4	07.178%	4879	Aladdin
5	05.276%	3586	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
6	04.952%	3366	Brightburn
7	03.706%	2519	Fandango Early Access The Secret Life of Pets 2
8	03.256%	2213	Booksmart
9	01.193%	811	The Hustle (2019)
10	01.189%	808	A Dogs Journey
11	01.171%	796	Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019)
12	00.800%	544	Long Shot
13	00.718%	488	Rocketman
14	00.547%	372	Godzilla King of the Monsters -

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

King of the Monsters Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-7 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

7.34%

Total Showings Added Today:              5

Total Seats Added Today:               1098 

Total Seats Sold Today:                    102

IMO, the best comp of movies I have tracked will be Fallen Kingdom.  I also have comps with the Aladdin (still in pre-sales) and Detective Pikachu as something as a compare/contrast with current May movies.  They may not be as good comps, being in different genres.

Unadjusted Comps

1.0701x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 7 days before release. 

0.8579x as many tickets sold as Aladdin 7 days before release.

T-7:

Pika         75 tickets sold  [0 sellouts/66 showings   |  6631/7573 seats left    | 12.44% sold]

Aladdin   98 tickets sold  [0 sellouts/74 showings   |  9543/10718 seats left  | 10.96% sold]

Adjusted Comps

.4606x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 7 days before release.       

PRE-SALES NOTE: JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales while KotM had 20.  Also some theaters had KotM tickets on sale for a few days before they were officially announced to the public for sale. 

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

T-7:

JW2             122 tickets sold [0 sellouts/111 showings |   9272/11263 seats left   |  17.68% sold]

KotM (JW)      83 tickets sold [0 sellouts/98 showings   | 11255/12172 seats left   |    7.53% sold]

KotM (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Far From Home Greater Sacramento Area MIDNIGHT SCREENINGS Seat Report: T-39 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

2342*

10.93%

NOTE: Some theaters adjusted the seats available for purchase resulting in a loss of two seats overall.

Total Seats Sold Since Sun:                16

No comps at the moment. 

Next update: Sun 5/26

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3