grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

One member who I will not name has been on record of nearly having to be removed from an early showing of Alita for getting too rowdy and loud with excitement when James Cameron showed up.

I thought that was part of is online act.

26 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is quite close to 100% impossible that they were serious that the weekends will go bigger and bigger instead of down for that movie, almost everything that gang say is a group art performance I think.

26 minutes ago, Mulder said:

They're serious.

Do I have to remind everyone about Popehat's Rule of Goats?

It's not exactly Safe for Work, but I can clean it up if needed. ;)

On second thought, the Endgame report will be tomorrow as I should have comparisons and today was stressful. Sorry everyone.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

Fandango changed how they colored sold vs broken/reserved seating at the theater I was tracking so I'll need to wait till Friday night to get a real count of how many tickets have been sold :( Best i can do is report how many are sold tomorrow

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Fandango changed how they colored sold vs broken/reserved seating at the theater I was tracking so I'll need to wait till Friday night to get a real count of how many tickets have been sold :( Best i can do is report how many are sold tomorrow

Yeah was just about to say this. Now there's no way to be able to tell the difference.

Edited by FlashMaster659

48 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I thought that was part of is online act.

If he was doing it irl I think it goes beyond an online act tbh.

33 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Do I have to remind everyone about Popehat's Rule of Goats?

It's not exactly Safe for Work, but I can clean it up if needed. ;)

Refresh me on it if you don't mind.

23 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

17:00 Pacific, 4/9/2019 (Discount Tuesday)

1	23.4%	Shazam!
2	18.1%	Avengers: Endgame
3	12.2%	Pet Sematary
4	8.1%	Dumbo
5	7.3%	Captain Marvel

I’m not 100% sure this will be the last update tonight, if there’s one more I’ll edit.    

Remaining at more than 75% of Shazam even on Tuesday seem pretty good. Don’t have much else to say about today.

17:00 Pacific, 4/10/2019 (Wed)

1	34.4%	Avengers: Endgame
2	15.6%	Shazam!
3	8.2%	Pet Sematary
4	6.6%	Dumbo
5	5.9%	Us

More than double Shazam at end of today, vs not even 150% on Monday. Just holding massively for a movie still more than 2 weeks away from previews. I think we will soon be finishing the ramp down and beginning the ramp up, without ever having that low sale middle portion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If he was doing it irl I think it goes beyond an online act tbh.

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean I thought he was just lying/hyperboling about those IRL stories to feed is over the top Internet avatar.

18 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Yeah was just about to say this. Now there's no way to be able to tell the difference.

Just looked through all the showings, as far as you can tell unless you've been looking Northwoods Stadium 13 has sold 450 tickets today for Endgame over the entire weekend. The actual number is likely around 100 at the most.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Refresh me on it if you don't mind.

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I mean I thought he was just lying/hyperboling about those IRL stories to feed is over the top Internet avatar.

It's a serious observation about the alt-right in specific and shit-posters in general.

The cleaned up version goes something like this:  Even if one claims that one is <kissing> a goat ironically, one is still a goat<kisser>.

It was on observation mostly centered around folks "ironically" (scare quotes very much intentional) saying/posting racist or bigoted things, but it applies to waaaaaaaaaaay over-the-top predictions like was seen in the Alita thread.  Sooner or later the distinction between intentional shit-posting about how fantastic one thinks a movie will do and actually thinking that a film will do that well becomes moot.

Call it a corollary/further observation on Poe's Law.

==

From my observation of most of the OTT Pika predictions, it was fairly apparent who was memeing for laughs.  But occasionally it did appear that some, and I do stress some of the talk slid in to goat kissing territory.  If one gets my drift. :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Endgame on Fandango - Past 19 hours -- 17604

Should finish that day over 24000. IW did a bit under 14000 on the same day, comparatively. 

Will likely be the first sub 2x multiplier.

Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

I'm not sure why but Endgame has 4 separate showings on that chart, there's another in 6th place with 3.1k sales.

1 minute ago, FlashMaster659 said:

That's without the other 3104 listed at #6 and the Fan Event + Marvel Marathon

Silly me :hahaha:

• Like 1