grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

51 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I root for Emoji, because, even if it might be a bad movie, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be rated THAT bad, if it wasn't by Sony.

Apparently the movie really is just trash all around that everyone involved with should be embarrassed to have put out.

56 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I root for Emoji, because, even if it might be a bad movie, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be rated THAT bad, if it wasn't by Sony.

Amen...

I also root for it as a "premier" concept...even if it's derivative of other movies...at least they tried to just not serve families up the 4th and 5th retread of a series...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Bad premier concepts deserve to bomb just as much as bad sequels. I sure as hell don't want an Emoji Movie franchise; which you know is coming if this is a success.

Critics are supposed to be fair...not actively picking a side and rooting for a demise (or smash hit).  

The critic reviews for this movie should be an example of what critics should never do...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Critics are supposed to be fair...not actively picking a side and rooting for a demise (or smash hit).  

The critic reviews for this movie should be an example of what critics should never do...

Critics are humans and have biases just like we do. If the very thought of an Emoji Movie inspires contempt, then that's the way it goes. Getting on a movie's defensive before you've even seen it certainly isn't indicative of being "unbiased". 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Critics are humans and have biases just like we do. If the very thought of an Emoji Movie inspires contempt, then that's the way it goes. Getting on a movie's defensive before you've even seen it certainly isn't indicative of being "unbiased". 

I'm not saying this is a good or bad movie...it's probably DM3 or Smurfs level, which aren't good.  But those movies did not get 0s...nowhere close...

So, what I am saying is reading the reviews and looking at the 0 scores, after seeing the trailers, those scores are impossible from an unbiased critic...it's not that bad.  The concept being original already gets you a free point, even if you abhor the original concept...and the animation is not supremely ugly...and the voices fit...all of that gets you off a zero score in animated movies...3s to 5s are probably the "fair" score if this is not good...and reading the few "fair" reviews, that's probably the case...

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm not saying this is a good or bad movie...it's probably DM3 or Smurfs level, which aren't good.  But those movies did not get 0s...nowhere close...

So, what I am saying is reading the reviews and looking at the 0 scores, after seeing the trailers, those scores are impossible from an unbiased critic...it's not that bad.  The concept being original already gets you a free point, even if you abhor the original concept...and the animation is not supremely ugly...and the voices fit...all of that gets you off a zero score in animated movies...3s to 5s are probably the "fair" score if this is not good...and reading the few "fair" reviews, that's probably the case...

I haven't followed this film, but no movie deserves 0%. Creative people worked on it. this movie must have something at least ok, like voices cast...etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Look at its audience score. It's already down to a 2.6/5. So it's not just critics. I'm not jumping on the train nor am I being biased against the film. I've already said the concept for the film was a good one in my opinion but just coming up with a concept on its own, isn't good enough. It's what you do with the concept. The makers of this movie do absolutely nothing with it. It's actually upsetting because talented people worked on this film so realistically this film should have been decent but it wasn't. 

The Emoji Movie is one of the worst, if not worst movies I've ever seen. I have no problems giving it a 0 because that's actually what it deserves. 

Go watch it, if you want, and see for yourself. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Look at its audience score. It's already down to a 2.6/5. So it's not just critics. I'm not jumping on the train nor am I being biased against the film. I've already said the concept for the film was a good one in my opinion but just coming up with a concept on its own, isn't good enough. It's what you do with the concept. The makers of this movie do absolutely nothing with it. It's actually upsetting because talented people worked on this film so realistically this film should have been decent but it wasn't. 

The Emoji Movie is one of the worst, if not worst movies I've ever seen. I have no problems giving it a 0 because that's actually what it deserves. 

Go watch it, if you want, and see for yourself. 

If you read the audience scores, most of them have now adopted the critics' joke - this has becoming the "whipping boy" of the Internet b/c it's easy...I don't think more than 10 people in those scores (good or bad) have actually watched it...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

If you read the audience scores, most of them have now adopted the critics' joke - this has becoming the "whipping boy" of the Internet b/c it's easy...I don't think more than 10 people in those scores (good or bad) have actually watched it...

The movie itself had negative comments in the audience section before the movie even came out. So I can see where you're coming from in that regard. 

But like i said, if you really don't believe the movie is that bad, go watch it. I actually want someone else on BOT to watch it and see what they think about it too lol 

• Like 2

I still believe that Emoji won't flop no matter the reviews. It seems to be selling decently enough to ensure an opening in the 20s which would be OK.

Afterall, it's budget is too low to end up a disaster. It will be fine.

Btw, which is the highest grossing movie with a 0% at rotten tomatoes?? :P

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 1

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

I still believe that Emoji won't flop no matter the reviews. It seems to be selling decently enough to ensure an opening in the 20s which would be OK.

Afterall, it's budget is too low to end up a disaster. It will do decently enough.

Btw, which is the highest grossing movie with a 0% at rotten tomatoes?? :P

The Emoji Movie!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That consensus was silly. RT editors must realize the growing importance of their website.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

The movie itself had negative comments in the audience section before the movie even came out. So I can see where you're coming from in that regard. 

But like i said, if you really don't believe the movie is that bad, go watch it. I actually want someone else on BOT to watch it and see what they think about it too lol 

I have one boy interested, but one not b/c he doesn't know what an Emoji is...so we might go for cheap day if it rains...but I waited on Smurfs til the 2nd run theater and the fair reviews seem to imply that's a good bet...

Plus, all the cheap morning shows around me only have the 1st row or 2 left (Fri/Sat/Sun) and I'm sure not paying for expensive tickets for this one, so I have to wait by necessity:)...yes, this is selling for the "little money out of pocket" shows...my Friday and Saturday locals are hot...one local put this in the smallest theater and I will bet adds a show Saturday b/c it's 2pm Sat show is already effectively sold out (2 seats left)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I've  been pressing this for years now.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 3