grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

You do realise that there were more popular Scooby Doo shows after Mystery Inc and a lot of movies right? Scooby-Doo has been featured more in children's media than Sonic has in the past 5 years. And the trailer makes it clear that the movie is for little kids. Mystery Inc was a darker show aimed at teens, this movie and pretty much every other Scooby Doo content in the past 20 years is for younger audiences.

I like Mystery Incorporated but it's one incarnation of a 50 year franchise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Why are you defending a multi billion dollar corporation?

It’s more calling out a bias in the films listed. And I mean, not everyone HAS to hate Disney. I still think that Boffy win was a joke

58 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

See, it’s ridiculous nonsense like this that reduces your credibility when it comes to the subject.

To be fair, we don’t actually KNOW how much Onward would have made if covid wasn’t a thing. Nobody really knows so at this point, saying it hasn’t had a significant effect on a particular movie isn’t any less valid of an argument as saying that it did (because we just don’t know). Now, I don’t agree with the argument. I think it could have certainly had a big effect. But with zero theatre closures across the country so far (that I know of) we can’t really definitively say that there was an effect.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

To be fair, we don’t actually KNOW how much Onward would have made if covid wasn’t a thing. Nobody really knows so at this point, saying it hasn’t had a significant effect on a particular movie isn’t any less valid of an argument as saying that it did (because we just don’t know). Now, I don’t agree with the argument. I think it could have certainly had a big effect. But with zero theatre closures across the country so far (that I know of) we can’t really definitively say that there was an effect.

I floated a hypothetical where it finished with a 100M DOM total. John said it would make “the same amount” without coronavirus. This is a clear claim that Onward could finish at 100M under normal conditions. There’s a lot of info we don’t have, but we do have more than enough to identify that idea as laughable.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I floated a hypothetical where it finished with a 100M DOM total. John said it would make “the same amount” without coronavirus. This is a clear claim that Onward could finish at 100M under normal conditions. There’s a lot of info we don’t have, but we do have more than enough to identify that idea as laughable.

but how? We've seen movies massively underperform that weren't expected to. Lego Movie 2 did under 100M dom without a Coronavirus just last year

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

but how? We've seen movies massively underperform that weren't expected to. Lego Movie 2 did under 100M dom without a Coronavirus just last year

🤔🤔 under 100m opening yes, but it was still comfortably over 100m domestic 

Edit - that being said, after Lego Batman and Ninjago the drop from Lego 1 was expected, just not under 150m

Edited by narniadis

I think the question is not is it having an effect on the boxoffice but how much?

I would asume that none would think ooh the corona virus is breaking out, I wasn't planning on going to the cinema but now I will go...

So the question will be how many people won't go will it be 0.5%  1% , 2% , 5% 10% less maybe more I don't know the only thing we know for sure it will have an impact this weekend how ever small it might be.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, narniadis said:

🤔🤔 under 100m opening yes, but it was still comfortably over 100m domestic 

Edit - that being said, after Lego Batman and Ninjago the drop from Lego 1 was expected, just not under 150m

My bad, for some reason I had thought it topped out at 95M instead of 105M. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

50% + sequel drops are perfectly common. Especially for animation with a 5-10 year sequel gap.   

The worst performing Pixar movie is TGD with ~130M adjusted and lukewarm reception.

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

See, it’s ridiculous nonsense like this that reduces your credibility when it comes to the subject.

ok mate, i said my opinion you said your if you disagree thats fine, but stop basting my balls, i never claimed to be a source

I just thought of something:The Cornona Virus has given every studio, for at least the next couple of months, a Get Out Of Jail Free card with stockholders when one of their films underperforms or flops;They can blame the virus.

Edited by dudalb

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

You do realise that there were more popular Scooby Doo shows after Mystery Inc and a lot of movies right? Scooby-Doo has been featured more in children's media than Sonic has in the past 5 years. And the trailer makes it clear that the movie is for little kids. Mystery Inc was a darker show aimed at teens, this movie and pretty much every other Scooby Doo content in the past 20 years is for younger audiences.

Yeah, I see Scooby on kids tv shows all the time.

He seems like Comic book heros; he has appeal to every generation.

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Mulan Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 52 1826 2.85%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 51 1854 2.75%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
232 6 10628 2.18% 9 62

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 5.38M

Mulan Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 52 1826 2.85%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 51 1854 2.75%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
234 2 10628 2.20% 9 62

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 5.03M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I still maintain with what is going on any forecasts for a film opening in a couple of weeks has to be taken with a ton of salt. I know one thing for sure;the situation is not going to be cleared up by the end of March....

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

I think the question is not is it having an effect on the boxoffice but how much?

I would asume that none would think ooh the corona virus is breaking out, I wasn't planning on going to the cinema but now I will go...

So the question will be how many people won't go will it be 0.5%  1% , 2% , 5% 10% less maybe more I don't know the only thing we know for sure it will have an impact this weekend how ever small it might be.

With Mulan is becomes even more iffy, because a lot could happen between and the end of March..and, sadly, little of it is good.

Which is why these projections and presales for Mulan need to be taken with a ton of salt. The impact of the virus on walkups could be huge.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

A Quiet Place Part 2 Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 28 1446 1.94%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 28 1665 1.68%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
132 9 8185 1.61% 9 38

Day 7 of sales IT 2 comp: 3.45M

A Quiet Place Part 2 Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24