grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Looking at the October releases on BOP's social media tracking:

6th: Blade Runner and MLP obviously have a lot of activity, but Mountain Between Us is doing alright. It should still be good for a 10M-low teens opening.

13th: Happy Death Day is obviously leading by a decent amount, but Marshall isn't doing half bad and pretty close to MBU; I can buy a 10M+ opening for the latter now with the ok reviews and social media activity. However, The Foreigner and Professor Marston are performing fucking horrendously. The Foreigner has ok Facebook numbers, but they are BARELY registering on Twitter. Both of them are probably coming in for a 7-8M opening at best if the pace doesn't pick up substantially, and one or both might outright bomb.

20th: Madea and Geostorm are pretty close together. Only the Brave is a little small on Facebook but has Twitter numbers close to Madea and Geostorm. The Snowman has decent Facebook numbers but bad Twitter numbers. Same Kind of Different has next to no activity.

27th: Thank You for Your Service has a lot of tweets, which is probably because of its use irl :lol: The Facebook numbers are about 10k below OTB. Jigsaw is hovering around 400-600 tweets, which is ok. Suburbicon isn't doing quite as bad as Foreigner/Marston/Snowman on Twitter, but I wouldn't call the numbers too encouraging; it has low Facebook numbers too. 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

6th: Blade Runner and MLP obviously have a lot of activity, but Mountain Between Us is doing alright. It should still be good for a 10M-low teens opening.

13th: Happy Death Day is obviously leading by a decent amount, but Marshall isn't doing half bad and pretty close to MBU; I can buy a 10M+ opening for the latter now with the ok reviews and social media activity. However, The Foreigner and Professor Marston are performing fucking horrendously. The Foreigner has ok Facebook numbers, but they are BARELY registering on Twitter. Both of them are probably coming in for a 7-8M opening at best if the pace doesn't pick up substantially, and one or both might outright bomb.

20th: Madea and Geostorm are pretty close together. Only the Brave is a little small on Facebook but has Twitter numbers close to Madea and Geostorm. The Snowman has decent Facebook numbers but bad Twitter numbers. Same Kind of Different has next to no activity.

27th: Thank You for Your Service has a lot of tweets, which is probably because of its use irl :lol: The Facebook numbers are about 10k below OTB. Jigsaw is hovering around 400-600 tweets, which is ok. Suburbicon isn't doing quite as bad as Foreigner/Marston/Snowman on Twitter, but I wouldn't call the numbers too encouraging; it has low Facebook numbers too. 

I doubt Professor Marston & the Wonder Women is going fully wide that weekend, especially when it hasn't gotten a TV push at all. It's probably going to be a 500-600 theater release ala Stronger at best.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I gather on twitter they're close?  Or YT?  Because, in terms of Facebook  Marshall isn't even at half of MBU's FB likes  (38k v 90k) On RT's Want to See it's also quite low compared to other upcoming dramas at just 1,047  while A Mountain Between Us is near 6k and they're just a week apart.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I gather on twitter they're close?  Or YT?  Because, in terms of Facebook  Marshall isn't even at half of MBU's FB likes  (38k v 90k) On RT's Want to See it's also quite low compared to other upcoming dramas at just 1,047  while A Mountain Between Us is near 6k and they're just a week apart.

Twitter, yeah. 

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

American Made isn't getting any PLFs in Orlando, not even Universal's IMAX. Kingsman is retaining nearly all of its PLF showings save for half of 4DX with Flatliners.

American Made got IMAX and PLFs OS but it's not the sort of film that benefits from it.

Flatliners feels like a movie made for nobody. Like, does anybody hold the original film in high regard? It was a moderate box office success back in the day only because it had Julia Roberts coming off of Pretty Woman and Keifer Sutherland back when it seemed like his film career was gonna go places.

• Like 1

So, figured I'd post presales for American Made 5 hours before showtime...this IS running behind American Assassin, but I'm not sure that will carry all weekend...

1st local - 2 showings - 15/120 sold

2nd local - 2 showings - 31/190ish sold

These are definitely not "blow up expectations" numbers...

Edited by TwoMisfits