The Wild Eric

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

so would you say the Alien and Pirates franchises are dead? Or will they continue?

I think this POTC will be the last one. Budget was big, Depp is becoming a liability, etc

Aliens, they could churn out one more. The budget  for this one wasn't too big, and it'll break even from ancillary revenue. 

I just don't sense enough desire to warrant a sequel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Movie studios seem to be taking Rotten Tomatoes seriously. Can see big changes coming for that site soon @baumer

DA7USj5XsAAkgFi?format=jpg&name=large

Ah, yes, the stock answer to:  Critics didn't like it.  "We made it for the fans!"

Generally, I find that those who rail against Rotten Tomatoes do so because their own tastes don't line up with the general consensus for a lot of films, which is just fine.  You don't need to like what the critics like.  Just learn what you like, why you like it, and then you can start to defend those aspects of filmmaking that appeal to you personally.  

But there's no review aggregate system they can concoct that is going to magically line up with your own tastes if you tend to like films that critics don't and vice versa.  That's just not going to happen.

Personally, I find the way Rotten Tomatoes goes about it to be the most useful to me.  They are essentially asking each critic: "Would you recommend seeing this film, yes or no?"  That cuts across a lot of different tastes and rating systems and is exactly what I would ask anybody to tell me if I was soliciting their opinion about whether to see a film or not.

And only time determines the artistic merit and endurance of a film.  No site that collects reviews is going to do that.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, I know we're not supposed to talk about this because it's been beat to death, but those fucking eagles really do put a damper on the whole franchise. That shit is a deus ex machina that makes the internal logic of the whole franchise somewhat questionable. Straight up, why didn't they just them to Mordor? That always gets some long explanation about how the eagles are solitary creatures that shouldn't be taken advantage of or something, but that doesn't really explain away the problem, it just makes the damn eagles look like selfish assholes who don't give a shit about anyone. Those fucking eagles, man.

I am a huge Tolkien fan (just ask Tele about that and the good old day of The One Ring.net before the LORT films opened) but I admit that Tolkien pretty much blew it with the eagles.  Jackson was pretty much stuck with that courtesy of Tolkien.He wisely,IMHO decided not to try to "fix" it in LOTR. He did try to "Fix " stuff in the Hobbit, and it badly hurt the Hobbit films.

I don't get why fans cannot just say, "Well they sort of messed up there but it's still a great story" rather then go to convultued efforts to explain everything. Just admit a mistake was made and go on. It gets really bad with Comic Book fans;they just can't admit that dealing with charecters that have been around being constaly published for 80 years and so many different writers you are going to have contradicitons and everything is not going to fit. Retconning is  a total waste of time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Image result for one does not simply fly into mordor

Eagles couldn't fly into Mordor until Sauron's ring had been cast into Mount Doom. Simple as that.

They would have been smoked if they had tried to fly in sooner.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Alien will go into hibernation for many, many years.

If Pirates is able to crawl to 800M WW I think they will do another one. If not, then it will go into hibernation until Disney needs to reboot it, which will take a while. 

Are they going to cut the budget dude? I think it's actually becoming a bit risky given diminishing returns. I say you take your money and put it on the shelf. 

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Alien is dead. Not sure about Pirates yet.

the thing about Alien though is the budget is not high. I can see them making another maybe with a different director and in 3D and a February or August release

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It Comes At Night and the Beguiled make for a good June, and I think All Eyez on Me and Wonder Woman should be fresh too. The Mummy is the one movie I think I'll see this summer with no regard for reviews, ala San Andreas. Cruise is always committed and I could go for a good monster movie. Should be alot better June and July than May in terms of BO, and August is loaded with quality. Spider-Man is on the cusp of going from a movie I'd see as long as it gets pretty good reviews to a movie that needs GREAT word for me to consider it. I just can't get interested at all.

I'm feeling very good about the indies hitting double digits on their OWs:

Both have strong reviews

It Comes at Night benefits from Alien underperforming

The Beguiled benefits from a barren market on OW and Coppola just won at Cannes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Ah, yes, the stock answer to:  Critics didn't like it.  "We made it for the fans!"

Generally, I find that those who rail against Rotten Tomatoes do so because their own tastes don't line up with the general consensus for a lot of films, which is just fine.  You don't need to like what the critics like.  Just learn what you like, why you like it, and then you can start to defend those aspects of filmmaking that appeal to you personally.  

But there's no review aggregate system they can concoct that is going to magically line up with your own tastes if you tend to like films that critics don't and vice versa.  That's just not going to happen.

Personally, I find the way Rotten Tomatoes goes about it to be the most useful to me.  They are essentially asking each critic: "Would you recommend seeing this film, yes or no?"  That cuts across a lot of different tastes and rating systems and is exactly what I would ask anybody to tell me if I was soliciting their opinion about whether to see a film or not.

And only time determines the artistic merit and endurance of a film.  No site that collects reviews is going to do that.

True, but the GA looks at RT as a score. 10% is considered 10/100 which is how it is disseminated in the press and articles instead of the actual review scores which could be say 40/100.

• Like 1

Cinemascore seems far worse than RT. Isn't it 5 theaters, 3 of which are in LA? That's a super small sample and one that's too heavily biased by a single city's tastes. And if Baywatch tested over 91 multiple times, I'd say the flaw is with how they conducted their testing, not with RT.

Edited by Orestes

1 minute ago, kitik said:

Eagles couldn't fly into Mordor until Sauron's ring had been cast into Mount Doom. Simple as that.

They would have been smoked if they had tried to fly in sooner.

If you need a explanation other then "Tolkien sort of blew it with continuity" that is a good a explanation as any. Sauron could have sicced those flying monsters the Nazgul  had on him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm feeling very good about the indies hitting double digits on their OWs:

Both have strong reviews

It Comes at Night benefits from Alien underperforming

The Beguiled benefits from a barren market on OW and Coppola just won at Cannes

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Alien will go into hibernation for many, many years.

If Pirates is able to crawl to 800M WW I think they will do another one. If not, then it will go into hibernation until Disney needs to reboot it, which will take a while. 

Other way around in my opinion. Budget for Alien wasn't too high, they can probably do one more

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

I think this POTC will be the last one. Budget was big, Depp is becoming a liability, etc

Aliens, they could churn out one more. The budget  for this one wasn't too big, and it'll break even from ancillary revenue. 

Aliens is going to continue forever. There might be breaks here and there and Scott may not be involved after some point, but the franchise is too long-running and too iconic not to be continued by Hollywood forever.

It's a very simple monster movie formula.