Eric Lasagna

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

If I already had enough interest in a film, bad reviews won't deter me from seeing it. Of the 17 2017 films I've seen in theaters this year:

6 were rotten (Power Rangers, GITS, Boss Baby, The Circle, King Arthur, POTC)

7 were certified fresh (Split, Batman, Wick, Logan, Kong, GOTG, Alien)

4 were fresh but not certified (BATB, Life, F8, Gifted)

Of the rotten movies, I had a good amount of interest in GITS, The Circle, and POTC. Reviews weren't going to drive me away from them, and I ended up enjoying GITS and POTC (The Circle though.....). I wasn't too interested in PR or KA, but the bad reviews got me in the theater to see how bad they were. Boss Baby was something I was curious about, but WOM wasn't overly strong. I was bored one day and decided to see it, and I liked it. On the positive spectrum, I wasn't overly interested in Gifted but saw it because reviews were alright and WOM was good; I enjoyed it! Now for something I haven't seen, Snatched is a movie that has me curious, but I've heard some really bad things about it. I still have another week or two to see it before it goes away, so maybe my curiosity will get to me and I'll cave in.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Franchises peak. And with Fast 8 dropping so hard, we can't even use that example anymore as a franchise that wouldn't stop peaking. You can find a second peak with a hiatus or a change, like TFA or JW or Skyfall, but it's impossible in my book for a franchise to generate massive, fresh buzz to attract casual curious audiences AND keep a hardcore fanbase, all while maintaining quality and provide enough big new stuff for it to feel fresh but not overstuffed. That's what happened to MJ, Pirates, Age of Ultron, even Spider-Man 2. The original Lord of the Rings trilogy is probably the only example of a franchise that just kept hitting it further every time, but that's a weird kinda example.

Lord of the Rings did peak though.  It peaked with Return of the King, and then the Hobbit was the decline.

That was also filmed together as one long story, so since the first grabbed people, it kept growing because people wanted to see the conclusion.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

Let's not bring Citizen Kane into this. It's one of the most overhyped ridiculously boring films that brainwashed everybody in the world into liking it.

It's as if these words were written by Hearst himself like a parody account. 

Here's the thing about biases: yes, I'm sure plenty of individual critics have biases against superhero movies or whatever. But if you look at the 300+ reviews for these movies, there's JUST as much bias in the opposite direction. Look at the Wonder Woman thread. I'm not saying it's gonna get bad reviews or anything (I hope it gets great reviews) but so many of these "RT critics" in that thread are from sites like DcVerse, ComicBookNerd.com, and other sites just like that. They're just as biased in the opposite direction. So they cancel out. 

Like Cal said, it's about sample sizes.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

Lord of the Rings did peak though.  It peaked with Return of the King, and then the Hobbit was the decline.

That was also filmed together as one long story, so since the first grabbed people, it kept growing because people wanted to see the conclusion.

Greatest trilogy ever but maybe that's not fair since it is really one long movie spliced in two places. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Greatest trilogy ever but maybe that's not fair since it is really one long movie spliced in two places. 

Yeah, it could have been a 10 episode mini-series for the same effect.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Just now, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

Yeah, it could have been a 10 episode mini-series for the same effect.

My point exactly, LOTR always was ONE big story told in an epic way, ACT I, II & III.

Tolkien never saw LOTR as 3 books, just one.

Peter Jackson knew this , that's why he understood shooting everything all at once made perfect sense.

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

There is no GOT if not for LOTR speaking of epic adventures. Was clearly a game changing event for fantasy in our pop culture. 

GoT has been a game changer as well.  We're getting more movie ideas being turned into TV Series' instead, and theres plenty of other shows taking inspiration from it and Breaking Bad.

• Like 3

Just now, The Futurist said:

My point exactly, LOTR always was ONE big story told in an epic way, ACT I, II & III.

Tolkien never saw LOTR as 3 books, just one.

Peter Jackson knew this , that's why he understood shooting everything all at once made perfect sense.

HP, Twilight, Hunger Games would all go on to make a lot of money off this idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Movie studios seem to be taking Rotten Tomatoes seriously. Can see big changes coming for that site soon @baumer

DA7USj5XsAAkgFi?format=jpg&name=large

the 5 theater sample Cinemascore is representative of the movie's quality and the mean Rotten Tomatoes is hurting the business. 

:sparta:

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 9