Eric the IF

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

4 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It's even funnier that some refuse to see this as the under-performer that it is.

A franchise that broke the 3-day and Memorial Day record is now down to $62M in its 3-day.

I didn't say this over-performed, did i? Everybody knows the decline is big (especially in USA).

I just said it's funny how some people really seems to think a $ 750 - 800m gross is a failure or something like that, because it's not, end of story.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

"98% ON ROTTEN TOMATOES!!!!"

(with reviewers named Chris between the ages of 24 and 27)

My bet is that they'll try to get audience scores featured more prominently across sites. These are usually more favorable by default, and can be massaged more easily via advance screenings etc... Make it more like Tripadvisor and less RT/Metacritic.

• Like 1

I can't believe that so many were saying AC is not a bomb when it clearly is. It will do less than 70M domestically and won't crack 150 OS. <230 WW is a real possibility. Huge drop from the previous one and on a 98 million budget+marketing...unfortunately the movie is a loss for the studio. Anyone who says otherwise is in serious denial. 

• Like 2

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

I didn't say this over-performed, did i? Everybody knows the decline is big (especially in USA).

I just said it's funny how some people really seems to think a $ 750 - 800m gross is a failure or something like that, because it's not, end of story.

Nowhere in your post did you even acknowledge how much it flat-lined domestically. Pure spin (probably because you love these films and want more - which is perfectly fine) and in denial of what is going down. End of story.

22 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I can't believe that so many were saying AC is not a bomb when it clearly is. It will do less than 70M domestically and won't crack 150 OS. <230 WW is a real possibility. Huge drop from the previous one and on a 98 million budget+marketing...unfortunately the movie is a loss for the studio. Anyone who says otherwise is in serious denial. 

Well, it didn't bomb because it's still profitable. Underperformance? Sure. Bomb? Nope.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Interesting :thinking:

We could be moving towards no reviews till OD soon.

Nah. Then they cant use great RT scores in advertising if they wait until OD.

They will for some movies I think put critics on tiers.

Fanboy critics who will likely be friendly to them go first. Inflate the RT score.

Then the critics who can be in the middle. Depending on which way they lean will determine when the toughest critics release reviews.

This way you can try to manipulate when people see the RT score.

• Like 4

All due respect, I don't buy that calling this Prometheus 2 would have helped the box-office one bit. It was such a divisive film that year and the four-year wait would have been a killer. Hell the marketing hid that this was its sequel and instead suggested its just another Alien... which it wasn't.

If anything, slapping on the Alien title (Something I have no doubt was a requirement on Fox's part to agreeing to let Scott do his Prometheus sequel) helped. 

• Like 2

When I saw Batman v Superman in theaters I thought "wow, this has some really cool stuff in it but what the hell is this editing? how did we arrive at this point?" I did feel it was a lot of cool scenes and visuals with a paper thin story.  

But then I watched it on Blu Ray, the director's cut and I felt it added a lot of depth and in general stuff that we really needed to fully understand the story and character motivations.  

I'd give the Director's cut a 7.5 or 8 probably.  It's real solid. 

• Like 1

Sub 2x multi incoming for Covenant? Scott is definitely gone from the franchise, whether he wants to be or not. Can't see how another one with him gets greenlit now. I think at this point they better get an acclaimed young-ish director to reboot if they want any hope of continuing the franchise. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

2x multi incoming for Covenant? Scott is definitely gone from the franchise, whether he wants to be or not. Can't see how another one with him gets greenlit now. I think at this point they better get an acclaimed young-ish director to reboot if they want any hope of continuing the franchise. 

fuck reboots.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

fuck reboots.

Not disagreeing, but a fresh new take on the franchise is basically the studio's only option now in terms of success prospects. Or if Scott stays, his only chance for success is to make Alien 5 with Weaver, but it had better have one helluva good script if they go that way. 

Edited by MovieMan89

There is only one solution for Alien. Wait around 10 years, and do a sequel set in the same Universe with Ripley's daughter a long time after the events of Alien 4. 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

There is only one solution for Alien. Wait around 10 years, and do a sequel set in the same Universe with Ripley's daughter a long time after the events of Alien 4. 

or slash the budget for the next one to like 60m. Make it in 3D. Give it a February or August or October release

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

or slash the budget for the next one to like 60m. Make it in 3D. Give it a February or August or October release

Nah, the next one wouldn't even make 50M DOM. It is time to stop. 

• Like 1