Eric Lasagna

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

4 minutes ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

Lord of the Rings did peak though.  It peaked with Return of the King, and then the Hobbit was the decline.

That was also filmed together as one long story, so since the first grabbed people, it kept growing because people wanted to see the conclusion.

The Hobbit was not part of "Lord of the RIngs" but a separate novel that was MUCH shorter and appared before LOTR. If you are going to lump them together;
"Middle Earth" is  muich better term then "Lord Of the Rings".

In fact, one of the BIG problems with the Hobbit was that Jackson tried to do it exactly like he did LOTR which was a mistake;The Hobbit needed a much lighter touch, that it did not get. And Included tons of crap that were not in the novel did not help matters. Jackson has planned to do that with LOTR, but after filming begun he had the sense to drop most of his original ideas an stick closer to the novel. He totally forgot that lesson with "The Hobbit". It is no coincidence that the best parts of The Hobbit films were those that were stuck to the novel (Bilbo and Gollum's riddle game;Bilbo conversation with Smaug) and the worst were those Jackson pretty much pulled out of his butt.

I feel like I say this several times a month but I've never understood the fascination with thinking that critics are biased or that critics are trying to sink a film. Better yet I've never understood the "well fans loved it!" response as if critics can't be or aren't fans. Critics are people. They have opinions. Just like everyone else. Critics get paid to judge a film based on several metrics that they're personally looking for. That's the difference between a critic and the average movie goer. You don't have to agree with what a critic says anymore than you have to agree with what the average movie goer thinks. We all have opinions. That doesn't mean a critic is wrong just because their opinion doesn't match with what you thought or wanted out of a film. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

GoT has been a game changer as well.  We're getting more movie ideas being turned into TV Series' instead, and theres plenty of other shows taking inspiration from it and Breaking Bad.

I can't remember the last time a TV show is the pop culture event of the summer over a movie, maybe the initial season of Survivor? 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Here's what I think is getting lost in this discussion: the problem Hollywood has with rotten tomatoes isn't the binary system or how it is operated. They're upset that critic reviews are now 1,000 times more visible now than in the past. Even if you don't like the site, you should care about Hollywood wanting to take it down or removing it from Fandango. They're basically saying "We want to make sure audiences are as uninformed as possible when separating with their hard earned cash."

Yes, and if they try to do this it will backfire on them big time.  Donald Trump is president today because the political leadership of both parties thought they could dictate to the rank and file voters who was or was not an acceptable candidate.

If people want a binary rating system and they change RT so that it isn't a binary rating system, someone will create a new binary rating system to take its place.  If this can't be done by a professional film site because Hollywood is keeping on the pressure, some non-professional will pick up the slack and the studios won't like one bit who that turns out to be.

Think RT is bad now?  Just wait until it's controlled by Reddit or 4chan or Grace Randolph or one of those Internet sociopaths who went around cracking jokes about Zach Snyder's daughter.  

Also, I know we're not supposed to talk about this because it's been beat to death, but those fucking eagles really do put a damper on the whole franchise. That shit is a deus ex machina that makes the internal logic of the whole franchise somewhat questionable. Straight up, why didn't they just them to Mordor? That always gets some long explanation about how the eagles are solitary creatures that shouldn't be taken advantage of or something, but that doesn't really explain away the problem, it just makes the damn eagles look like selfish assholes who don't give a shit about anyone. Those fucking eagles, man.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

There is no GOT if not for LOTR speaking of epic adventures. Was clearly a game changing event for fantasy in our pop culture. 

I hope The Children of Hurin gets made one day but Tolkien's son is cock blocking the rights on any further Middle Earth adventures.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, I know we're not supposed to talk about this because it's been beat to death, but those fucking eagles really do put a damper on the whole franchise. That shit is a deus ex machina that makes the internal logic of the whole franchise somewhat questionable. Straight up, why didn't they just them to Mordor? That always gets some long explanation about how the eagles are solitary creatures that shouldn't be taken advantage of or something, but that doesn't really explain away the problem, it just makes the damn eagles look like selfish assholes who don't give a shit about anyone. Those fucking eagles, man.

I ll admit Kevin Smith opened my eyes in Clerks 2.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

I can't remember the last time a TV show is the pop culture event of the summer over a movie, maybe the initial season of Survivor? 

I'm curious how well GoT would do if they turned the finale into a 3 hour movie.  I reckon it'd be fairly large.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Image result for one does not simply fly into mordor

• Like 3

Felt like doing a ray subers like report but fuck it. This weekend although was up from last year when Angry Birds led the weekend. Pirates and Baywatch are both shipwrecked. Pirates should make at least close to $150 million domestic. Baywatch should do between $45-$50 million domestic. I"ll be back for June reports, as I hope there are success stories to share.

Just now, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

I'm curious how well GoT would do if they turned the finale into a 3 hour movie.  I reckon it'd be fairly large.

Yeah I mean the trailer views says enough about where we are at in GOT interest heading into the stretch. Very rare to keep building viewers every season until the end and at a steady rate. 

• Like 2

Kinda fun that Disney has all 3 of it's 2017 movies in the top 10, unless you count Born in China. Which you shouldn't because it ruins the narrative I'm trying to spin here.

Also, saw a few people say SM3 is unintentionally hilarious. It's not. I have no doubt in my mind that Raimi knew what he was doing there. It was 100% intentional.

• Like 1

It Comes At Night and the Beguiled make for a good June, and I think All Eyez on Me and Wonder Woman should be fresh too. The Mummy is the one movie I think I'll see this summer with no regard for reviews, ala San Andreas. Cruise is always committed and I could go for a good monster movie. Should be alot better June and July than May in terms of BO, and August is loaded with quality. Spider-Man is on the cusp of going from a movie I'd see as long as it gets pretty good reviews to a movie that needs GREAT word for me to consider it. I just can't get interested at all.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

so would you say the Alien and Pirates franchises are dead? Or will they continue?

Alien will go into hibernation for many, many years.

If Pirates is able to crawl to 800M WW I think they will do another one. If not, then it will go into hibernation until Disney needs to reboot it, which will take a while. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

so would you say the Alien and Pirates franchises are dead? Or will they continue?

I think Scott's Alien movies are dead. Don't know about Pirates, except that if they do another they'll probably have to cut the budget some.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Critics aren't the word of God, but they're right a LOT more often than fanboys.

The funny thing is that the general fanboy community aligns with the critics' opinions in most cases.

Most 80+% movies are liked/loved by fanboys.

Most sub-50% movies are disliked.

And the 50-79% movies are very divisive among fanboys.